MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arts and Science vs. Health Science? ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 08:40 AM
Transfering from ArtSci to Health Sci wcspc Academics 8 04-08-2010 01:15 AM
Transfering into Mcmaster health Science offlimits Academics 21 11-16-2009 07:51 PM
Health Science Katelyn999 General Discussion 6 10-24-2009 02:27 PM
health science rakib Academics 5 05-12-2008 10:55 PM

Transfering to Health Science

Old 09-03-2008 at 04:17 PM   #1
suhaybh

Liked: 0 Times

Transfering to Health Science
Hi, I am a Life Science student at Mcmaster and am interested in applying to the Health Sciences program for level II. I wasn't able to apply to Health Science last year due to the lack of one course. What is the competition like applying for level II? Is it just as competitive as from high school? What would the cut off be? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2008 at 05:07 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I heard that it was not as competitive but I guess there are much more limited spots. It is not very competitive because people are very bitter when they get rejected the first time.
Old 09-03-2008 at 05:13 PM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

it's not as competitive. I've heard people getting in with a 75 first year average too.
Old 09-07-2008 at 12:04 AM   #4
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

As a transfer you can take it from me that it is still pretty competitive. This year they took in 18 people. People from McMaster and other universities apply for spots. The amount of applicants isn't as large, but the ratio of acceptances to applicants is still pretty close.

You need a 9.5 minimum to apply. It is heavily based on your supplemental application.
Old 10-21-2008 at 12:36 AM   #5
coco

i am in business. can i apply??
Old 10-21-2008 at 07:12 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You would need to have the proper prerequisites in order to be considered for acceptance, otherwise it's a waste of an application.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-21-2008 at 08:41 AM   #7
coco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You would need to have the proper prerequisites in order to be considered for acceptance, otherwise it's a waste of an application.
so i hv 2 hv grade 12 science U courses??
Old 10-21-2008 at 10:57 AM   #8
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
so i hv 2 hv grade 12 science U courses??
I believe you need a full year of 1st year Biology and a full year of 1st year Chemistry to transfer into BHSc Level II.
Old 06-14-2009 at 08:49 AM   #9
Fawkes

hello
i am also interested in switching to Health Sciences in Level II
here's my tentative course list and i was wondering whether i have the proper courses to make the switch:

BIO 1A03
BIO 1M03
CHEM 1A03
CHEM 1AA3
PSYCH 1X03
PHYSICS 1B03
MATH 1A03
KINESIOL 1Y03
KINESIOL 1YY3

i'm missing one elective, and i'm having difficulties deciding which one to take .. i am considering ENVIR SCI 1G03 but i'm afraid i'm missing one course for health sciences.

with the courses listed above, would i be able to make the switch from life sci to health sci?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2009 at 09:46 AM   #10
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

All you need is a full year of Bio and a full year of Chem, with a CA of at least 9.0 to apply. Here's the link to their website: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/admissionslevel2.html

Fawkes says thanks to chugaucon for this post.
Old 06-14-2009 at 03:29 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The key word is 'at least.'

There are something like 10 or 20 spots to transfer into...unfortunately, you typically need a higher average to get into programs such as Health Sci or Kin after first year. The number of applicants are reduced drastically, but so have the number of available slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I heard that it was not as competitive but I guess there are much more limited spots. It is not very competitive because people are very bitter when they get rejected the first time.
A lot of bad things spread about the program too...such as the fact that it's so specialized, meaning if you fail to get into medicine you're at a disadvantage for any other field.

Not to mention, many people are discouraged by there being so few available openings...I dunno how big a role that plays, but you're right, I definitely know some bitter people, haha.

Fawkes says thanks to Mowicz for this post.