MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring meena101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-08-2010 07:37 AM
Transferring on the GO goodnews.inc Automotive & Transportation 2 03-27-2010 02:36 AM
Transferring to Mac k2s8262 Academics 3 03-18-2009 08:09 PM
Transferring from Mac to Brock Matt Hills Academics 3 01-06-2009 06:22 PM
Transferring to Mac Trillian Academics 4 01-04-2009 07:56 PM

Transferring to another University?

Old 09-16-2010 at 04:00 PM   #1
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Transferring to another University?
Does transferring to another University erase your transcript from the previous University? For example consider UofT. It says that if you receive over 60% in a course, it is eligible for transfer credit. What happens to the courses in which you get <60%? There is also a limit to how many courses can receive transfer credit. Basically what I'm asking is, do you start off with a clean slate in terms of GPA?
Old 09-16-2010 at 04:36 PM   #2
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

ya
you do
For example Mcmaster says that When you transfer to it they dont take ur previous courses from other university into your GPA

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to mfattal for this post.
Old 09-16-2010 at 05:18 PM   #3
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
but why would they accept you if you've done jack shitt in the first place? (the government gives them money for taking gr.12's by the way, you sir are out of luck)
rofl now now dont be mean and yea you pretty much start off with a clean plate i think there might be a few courses from UofT that mghit be transferred if their course and our course are considered "similar" according to the uni but for that you should really talk to the registrar office or sumthing?

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to bloodywarz for this post.
Old 09-16-2010 at 06:30 PM   #4
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prodigy View Post
Does transferring to another University erase your transcript from the previous University? For example consider UofT. It says that if you receive over 60% in a course, it is eligible for transfer credit. What happens to the courses in which you get <60%? There is also a limit to how many courses can receive transfer credit. Basically what I'm asking is, do you start off with a clean slate in terms of GPA?
I just transferred from McMaster to UTSC and yes you start off with a clean slate. You do have to get 60% or above to be eligible for transfer credit in certain courses but after that your grades from previous schools don't show up at all.

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to niteskie for this post.
Old 09-16-2010
Mr.Prodigy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:11 PM   #5
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

The marks from previous university dont show up on your UofT transcript. That doesnt mean that the employers dont ask for your transcript in which case you'd have to show both. In addition, if you are planning for graduate school, you have to submit ALL post-secondary transcripts. Not just U of T.

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to mcmaster12 for this post.
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:40 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmaster12 View Post
The marks from previous university dont show up on your UofT transcript. That doesnt mean that the employers dont ask for your transcript in which case you'd have to show both. In addition, if you are planning for graduate school, you have to submit ALL post-secondary transcripts. Not just U of T.
This is an EXTREMELY important point, every school you attend is considered for graduate school as well as law school, medicine etc. This also means classes you take in the summer etc.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 09-16-2010 at 09:49 PM   #7
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

let me humour you all with some deductive reasoning

1)why does this guy wanna start of with a clean slate?

now this might be a stretch and plz tell me if im wrong but he probably didn't do to swell at mac, might even have failed a few courses.

2)why would another school let you into their program when they already have a certain number of students competing in that program, and you cant compete with their marks? this especially applies if the program is expensive to fund and only accepts a few students. (mcmaster chemical biology being one)

3)why did mcmaster accept you in the first place with your mid 80 average, when others who also got a offer were in the 90's? the government pays the university to take grade 12's and the ones with lower averages are expected to struggle or fail to fund the university's other students (or renovation projects i can't tell at the moment)

4)why does he really wanna switch schools (i thought of this after)? because he wants his gpa to look squeeeaky clean when he applies to med school. I think someone above mentioned that this wont work b/c they would ask for both transcripts/all your university activity
Old 09-16-2010 at 09:59 PM   #8
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

I was thinking of switching from Mac to Uoft but that's because I think I should've picked UofT from the beginning :S
I'm kinda scared to do so now!
Old 09-16-2010 at 10:03 PM   #9
Mr.Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
let me humour you all with some deductive reasoning

1)why does this guy wanna start of with a clean slate?

now this might be a stretch and plz tell me if im wrong but he probably didn't do to swell at mac, might even have failed a few courses.

2)why would another school let you into their program when they already have a certain number of students competing in that program, and you cant compete with their marks? this especially applies if the program is expensive to fund and only accepts a few students. (mcmaster chemical biology being one)

3)why did mcmaster accept you in the first place with your mid 80 average, when others who also got a offer were in the 90's? the government pays the university to take grade 12's and the ones with lower averages are expected to struggle or fail to fund the university's other students (or renovation projects i can't tell at the moment)

4)why does he really wanna switch schools (i thought of this after)? because he wants his gpa to look squeeeaky clean when he applies to med school. I think someone above mentioned that this wont work b/c they would ask for both transcripts/all your university activity
I don't really see where you're going with this, especially since my reasons do not concern you. You could not even answer my question. But if you're extremely interested in my reasons for transferring and are curious about my future plans, you can meet me in person anytime bud. I'd be more than happy to explain everything to you more thoroughly .
Old 09-16-2010 at 10:06 PM   #10
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prodigy View Post
I don't really see where you're going with this, especially since my reasons do not concern you. You could not even answer my question. But if you're extremely interested in my reasons for transferring and are curious about my future plans, you can meet me in person anytime bud. I'd be more than happy to explain everything to you more thoroughly .
i dont need to see u in person bro i know i hit the nail on the head with that last point or the first one, if not then clarify

ps. oh wait i found one of your more interesting posts:
you wrote:

Would you say Chem 2E03 is good enough to prepare us for the orgo portion of the MCAT?

proved my point

Last edited by manap3000 : 09-16-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2010 at 10:18 PM   #11
Mr.Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
This is an EXTREMELY important point, every school you attend is considered for graduate school as well as law school, medicine etc. This also means classes you take in the summer etc.
So in that case, do you know what impact it would have on admission?
Old 09-16-2010
manap3000
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-16-2010 at 10:54 PM   #12
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

One of my roommates switched from U of T to Mac and she says she loves it here. Some of the courses she took there did not get transferred since Mac doesn't have its "equivalence", but I think the other way around (from Mac to UofT) most, if not all, of your courses would get a credit.