MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring into first year nursing GurtegS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 02-02-2013 01:23 PM
Transferring into nursing Lilly_Allen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-18-2012 02:38 PM
Transferring from Life Science to Nursing..? chelseac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 11-14-2011 12:33 PM
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM

Transferring to Nursing

Old 11-26-2013 at 02:19 PM   #1
YNWA
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

Transferring to Nursing
Hey all. New member here. I'll try to get to the point

I withdrew from university without the academic penalty (not Mac). I am now looking to apply to nursing for next year (basic stream--which I originally applied to in HS and got in). I was told that my high school marks would be looked at since I have nothing on my university transcript, which is great, and I would also be put in the high school applicant pool, which is also great. That's what the nursing admissions coordinator told me. So I assumed that being put in the high school applicant pool means I would be competing for one of 140 seats or so.

After submitting an email to askMac (or something like that), I was contacted by an admissions officer and was told that though my high school marks would be looked at, I would be competing for one of the 30 spots allocated to those who are not currently in high school (so university and even college students). I'm not even sure if this is actually the case because in the website it says there are 10 spots for university applicants who wish to transfer to nursing, and the nursing admissions coordinator already told me I won't be competing for one of these 10 spots.

This is a game-changer. I mean, does this necessarily mean admission would be much tougher for me? My grade 12 avg. was 93%, so although there is no such thing as a guaranteed acceptance I was excited because I believe last year's avg to get in was 89%. But since I'm now apparently going to be put in another applicant pool, I'm worried. How is it really fair (for everyone who's applying) to compare someone's HS marks with another's university marks? I'm really confused by this whole process.

Is this is nursing-specific admission procedure or applies to all program transfers?
Old 11-27-2013 at 12:54 PM   #2
YNWA
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

admissions contacted me to clarify thing