MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring from U of T em37 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 48 04-17-2011 09:25 PM
Transferring meena101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-08-2010 07:37 AM
Transferring on the GO goodnews.inc Automotive & Transportation 2 03-27-2010 02:36 AM
Transferring to Mac k2s8262 Academics 3 03-18-2009 08:09 PM
Transferring to Mac Trillian Academics 4 01-04-2009 07:56 PM

Transferring from Physical Sci I to Engineering

Old 08-18-2012 at 03:57 PM   #1
OmarNassif

Transferring from Physical Sci I to Engineering
Hi there everyone, I need help with an issue. I accepted my offer for physical sciences I for this fall as unfortunately I wasn't able to make it into 'Eng I' so instead I went with the physical sciences offer. I am planning to transfer to engineering in my second year, specifically electrical engineering w/ administration. Anyone with experience similar to this can you please explain the process it entails such as courses, grades, and any other issues I might face, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Old 08-18-2012 at 05:00 PM   #2
WeRunTheCity

Liked: 1 Time

I think you should arrange an appointment with the academic advisor in Engineering faculty to figure out your possibilities
Old 08-18-2012 at 06:01 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Hi Omar, transferring into engineering 1, is going to take a great deal of effort and good marks. You will probably need about a 9 to transfer, which is about a 77%-80%. Unfortunately you are going to be placed in first year. I am sure they will give you some transfer credits based on the courses that you take (if these courses match some of the first year engineering courses, they will give you a transfer credit for them, which means you don't have to repeat them when you transfer into eng 1).

There's a much easier and less costly way to go into engineering, without having to pay thousands of dollars. That option would be to go back to fifth year in high school. If you decided to go back to a fifth year, you should take math and physics and try to really understand the material. Also, since you mentioned electrical, I think you should take some computer related courses, especially programming. Lot's of people struggle with programming in first year engineering, and it would be a very good idea if you have some background knowledge in it.

I think that on top of the math and physics courses that you are going to repeat, you should, as I mentioned, consider taking computer courses. I mentioned earlier programming. Another computer related course that I think you should take would be anything related to AutoCAD and design. I wish i took any programming or AutoCAd courses back in high school :( It would have helped me a lot! My friend took a course in high school that uses the same program in 1c03, and he killed the course, he got a 12, a perfect gpa! Don't get me wrong, there are people that do get 12 without any knowledge in it, but taking these computer courses in high school, makes it much easier for you to get a 12. It will also leave you with extra time to focus on your other courses !

That's why I think going back to a fifth year in high school is the best option for you. Your not only saving big $$, your also expanding your knowledge.

One last thing, you mentioned your also interested in the administration program, which I believe you're referring to the engineering and management option. While it's not as important as taking computer and programming courses, you should consider taking economics in high school. If you think you can't fit it in your schedule, don't worry, but make sure you take the other courses that I mentioned above.

I wish you all the best in your future

Arisu4 likes this.
Old 08-18-2012 at 08:55 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

As jim said just do a "victory lap". Do the courses again in high school and start uni in the program you "want" with a clean slate. My gpa is messed at the moment and it's going to be so hard to fix it. So just do a victory lap (I did one too) and try next year. Take the time extra to do like volunteering, try a engineering related research/volunteer/coop job
Old 08-28-2012 at 01:57 AM   #5
Caitlin_McNe

Liked: 0 Times

Hi there, I'm just going into 1st year eng so I probably have less experience than the other people posting however I transferred from another University after completing my first year. I did a year of Biochem at Carleton and decided that I wanted to do engineering (preferably chemical atm) and got into Mac. I only got 4 courses transferred though...(anthro, calc, linear algebra and chem.) also just to make a note I'm pretty sure the only reason they credited me my math courses is because I murdered them. When I was going into university I was also considering do a vic lap however my dad suggested that (for me personally) another year at highschool wouldn't really help me decide what I wanted to do so I took Biochem because it gave me a taste of everything (sort of).

Pros:
-Learned WAY better study habits
-experience uni level workload
-exposure to a completely diff. environment
-Basically learned what to do/what not to do
-How to cope with roomies
-How to interact with a variety of personalities (way diff than hs)

CONS:
-expensive lesson to learn
-stressful doing transfer apps in the middle of the year
-dealt with some courses that I 100% hated
-lots of hard work for courses knowing you were never going to touch them again
-more stress than hs
-emphasis on EXPENSIVE like omg thank god for parents which if you're planning to pay for a portion or all of your education is a really difficult thing to give up
-doing ANOTHER 1st year in a course
-in some respects harder to get into via transfer (at least from another uni; not 100% sure about an internal transfer but chances are it would be similar)

-->also keep in mind I didn't know that I wanted to do eng; since you're pretty set on doing engineering it may be more beneficial to do a couple more hs courses and maybe get a part time/full time job? $ is always useful haha but seriously it is MUCH easier to achieve a high hs GPA than a high uni GPA also idk what my exact GPA from Carleton was (didn't focus too much) but my lowest grade was a B...they gave me a course credit for it anyway though (anthro; never went to a class :/ don't make that mistake!! yikes but seriously electives suck in a big way) most courses were between B+/A+ If you do decide to do a year anyways be sure to focus on courses that more or less matter for eng (ie math, physics etc) at least that's what I did!

wooo long post haha good luck on your future endeavors
Old 08-29-2012 at 10:36 PM   #6
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I was in the exact same place as you a year ago only I started in life science I.

My advice is:

1. Get to the engineering advisor office ASAP. Talk to Sally Williams.
2. If you're serious about transferring you should take materials second semester.
3. Work really hard. I was told an 8 CA would be helpful but especially do well in the math.
4. You should also think about taking computer programming.

I cannot stress the importance of talking to Sally enough. Believe me, the science academic advisers will not be of much aid.

If hard work and some luck you should be able to make up a few courses and enter a level II engineering program next year.

I hope it goes well!
Old 08-29-2012 at 11:18 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

This bump made me remember an engineer in my year transferred from science (not sure life or physical). He did have to take a bunch of summer courses if you take year 1 then switch to eng