MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still waiting on a grade (Macroeco), is it normal to be this late? MikeyO Academics 12 01-05-2015 09:46 PM
how to do normal and binomial vectors on matlab? jon.john23 Academics 2 01-29-2012 04:01 PM
Is it normal for landlords to ask for a copy of your id? thdms9211 General Discussion 6 03-11-2011 01:26 PM
Tuition Fees and Possible Tuition Reduction due to Headstart/LEAP MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-10-2010 09:07 PM

Is this tuition normal?

Old 07-12-2016 at 04:54 AM   #1
dimamay

Liked: 0 Times

Is this tuition normal?
So I'm going into engineering I coop (all 37 units) and my tuition total is $13,891.55 (supplementary fees included but not books). Do they bump up the prices every year? I'm looking back at different posts on this site from years ago and the prices were way less than this.

Last edited by dimamay : 07-12-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2016 at 09:07 AM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Mine was showing a bit over 14k when i signed up for courses in late june, but now its gone down to 12.5k on its own. Im not sure whats going on. Im doing 39 units. Havent done or recieved any scholarships or anything that i know of right now

Anyway, for me it was 12 something two years ago, eng I.

dimamay says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 07-12-2016 at 10:33 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Yes, tuition increases every year.
Engineering is also more expensive than other undergrad programs since it is a professional program - though it is still pretty cheap compared to some other 4-year professional programs.
The fee schedule is outlined on the student accounts and cashiers website.

dimamay says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 07-12-2016 at 10:57 AM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

The tuition is free this year as it's covered by the provincial government, so stop whining you whiner.

Be glad you will never experience the fun of having 40000+ dollars to pay in student loans.

dimamay says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 07-12-2016 at 11:07 AM   #5
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
The tuition is free this year as it's covered by the provincial government, so stop whining you whiner.

Be glad you will never experience the fun of having 40000+ dollars to pay in student loans.
Wait, its free? What do you mean its free? what am i paying for then?
Old 07-12-2016 at 01:53 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

He's being ignorant... He is referring to this:

Starting in the 2017-18 school year, Ontario is bundling many existing provincial OSAP grants into a single Ontario Student Grant. The changes will make average college and university tuition free for the majority of eligible students, whose parents make a combined household income of less than $50,000 per year.

Sadly, he didn't get his facts remotely correct, and has misinformed the forum.

dimamay says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

Entropy likes this.
Old 07-12-2016 at 08:50 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Also, engineering tuition is higher than "average" so even for eligible students, it wouldn't fully cover the costs.

dimamay says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 07-12-2016 at 10:48 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

i was told by a Newfoundlander that Eng tuition is like ~8K/year at Memorial

Not sure why Ontario is so inflated. I guess it could be attributed to the heavy influx of student coming specifically to the GTA. Make hay while the sun shines I guess...

dimamay says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.