MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Centro/New Commons menu **jewel 03** General Discussion 17 09-28-2010 05:17 PM
Where is Twelve Eighty? Strategy General Discussion 6 09-20-2010 10:41 PM
Mystery Mansion at Twelve Eighty Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-01-2009 05:47 PM
SRA Member Shares Twelve-Eighty Plans Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 08-04-2009 07:39 PM

Twelve Eighty's Menu

Old 09-09-2009 at 11:30 AM   #30
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
As expected, the prices are ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. $8 for a sandwich with some cold, greasy fries thrown on a plate? Shame on you, 1280 management. At least try and compete with the non-MSU locations, and conside giving students a fair deal when it comes to food. These prices are acceptable maybe for something with a little care and class, but not for line-cooked fast food that's shipped in prepared.

I now resume my determination to never go to this over-priced joint. Regardless of how nice the paint may be.
You're acting like other restaurants (which is what 1280 is) don't charge upwards of $8 for bad fries and a sandwich. Some charge like $10-12 dollars for a sandwich and fries.

Also if you haven't been there how do you know the fries are cold and greasy? They could be hot, crispy and non-greasy for all you know. Making wild accusations without even visiting the establishment is a tad on the attention seeking side, get real.

As with any business the goal is to make a profit, or break even really. Also in case you haven't noticed food costs money so you have to add the price of the food, plus a reasonable mark up before you starting crying foul.

I don't know what other food places on campus you're talking about the the quality of the sandwiches and fries at 1280 is likely to be much better than say at Commons. The fries at Commons are gross and the various sandwiches you can get there aren't exactly top quality. You're trying to compare apples and oranges.

The only places you can legitimately compare to 1280 on campus are Bistro and Bridges which are the only other restaurant style places to eat. Both of them offer much more high quality food than what you would get at Commons or La Piazza and both also come with a higher price tag.

Eating at any of these 3 locations is still a much better experience imo than eating other places on campus. Plus you still get a much better deal price wise than eating at an off-campus restaurant that would serve similar food.

The likely hood of you eating at somewhere like 1280 for lunch every day is low so once in a while if you have some extra time and want something more than a PB&J or quick bite at Commons it would be nice to eat there, for a slightly higher price.

All that said I do like how you looked at one menu item and used that to accuse the restaurant of being over priced an awful. Its obvious you have selective eye sight.

Taunton says thanks to sew12 for this post.

lorend likes this.

Old 09-09-2009 at 12:18 PM   #31
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
You're acting like other restaurants (which is what 1280 is) don't charge upwards of $8 for bad fries and a sandwich. Some charge like $10-12 dollars for a sandwich and fries.
I guess you missed the part where I talked about competing with non-MSU food sellers. A couple of bucks' difference isn't trying too hard, in my book.

Quote:
Also if you haven't been there how do you know the fries are cold and greasy?
I've yet to visit a spot on campus where they aren't. This is usually caused by the fries being prepared ahead of time and put under what is ironically called a heat lamp. Yes I don't know for sure, but it is a pretty steadfast heuristic.

Quote:
Making wild accusations without even visiting the establishment is a tad on the attention seeking side, get real.
This doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
As with any business the goal is to make a profit, or break even really.
The goal of an MSU business is to serve the students. Making a profit is not limited by not charging too much. If a volume of business is built, you can afford to charge fair prices and still do well.

Quote:
Also in case you haven't noticed food costs money so you have to add the price of the food, plus a reasonable mark up before you starting crying foul.
REALLY? What is the mark-up of which you speak? I think the issue is about whether the markup is infact reasonable. Simply saying it is (as you have sort of done) doesn't make it so.

Quote:
All that said I do like how you looked at one menu item and used that to accuse the restaurant of being over priced an awful. Its obvious you have selective eye sight.
Was just an example. Four-and-a-quarter is also ridiculous for a piece of cheesecake. As is $9 for fish and chips. I think you get the idea.

As to your assertions regarding fair markup, I wonder about how you'd know this. Catering, diners, grocery-convienence stores, and half-day restaurants were a set of businesses in my family when I was young and so growing up I was afforded the opportunity of seeing what the actual cost of product is, and where markup comes from. What you have said is true, the type of prices seen at 1280 are not unusual for a roadhouse or something similar, but the quality of food is in a very different class. Also, the intent of those two types of businesses should be different. An MSU establishment should be there to provide a service to improve the quality of campus life for students. Part of this is indeed in turning a profit, but part could maybe be providing an affordable BLT and coke. A balance could be struck, but here it has not been.

Comparing prices to other spots on campus really doesn't do either, since they're mostly run by the university who understandably are driven by squeezing as much profit from every revenue source that can be found (eg., $20 / day [or per entry, whichever is more] parking).

Finally, why should you care to defend 1280? Do you have some stake in its profits? Does your mom manage it? You're a student, aren't you? Fair prices should interest you, shouldn't they? Why be such a flunky when all you likely have are vague facts from an outsider's perspective?

Anyway, I'll just save my breath since people clearly are OK with the types of prices that are being charged. As Barnum would agree, this is the only thing that matters in a business these days (sadly).

Last edited by ghjkghkghkgh : 09-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Old 09-09-2009 at 12:49 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
The garlic bread and the lasagna are really well priced.

I cannot believe the prices of those sandwiches though. I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant where a sandwhich as been more than a pizza.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

ghjkghkghkgh says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Old 09-09-2009 at 02:20 PM   #33
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
I guess you missed the part where I talked about competing with non-MSU food sellers. A couple of bucks' difference isn't trying too hard, in my book.

Was just an example. Four-and-a-quarter is also ridiculous for a piece of cheesecake. As is $9 for fish and chips. I think you get the idea.

Comparing prices to other spots on campus really doesn't do either, since they're mostly run by the university who understandably are driven by squeezing as much profit from every revenue source that can be found (eg., $20 / day [or per entry, whichever is more] parking).

Finally, why should you care to defend 1280? Do you have some stake in its profits? Does your mom manage it? You're a student, aren't you? Fair prices should interest you, shouldn't they? Why be such a flunky when all you likely have are vague facts from an outsider's perspective?

Anyway, I'll just save my breath since people clearly are OK with the types of prices that are being charged. As Barnum would agree, this is the only thing that matters in a business these days (sadly).
Clearly you chose to pick apart my post and only reply to things that would suit you.

I addressed the issue of other on campus food establishments which btw are not run by the MSU. Hospitality Services runs the other food establishments on campus. The MSU only runs 1280, and Union Market in terms of places where food can be purchased. 1280 is their only eat in food establishment.

As I said the only on campus food establishments you can legitimately compare 1280 to are Bistro and Bridges. You can't compare a hot plate of food at a sit down restaurant with servers etc to getting a cold sandwhich or hamburger or whatever at Commons. It isn't the same thing and therefore doesn't come with the same price tag.

Also your notions of what is a ridiculous price for X are off. Have you ever been to a restaurant or do you think all restaurant prices everywhere are ridiculous? $9 for fish and chips for example is a steal if you compare that to say Kelsey's which has recently added fish and chips to their menu for $12.99. To compare to on campus Bistro has fish and chips for $9 as well. Commons where you get lower quality and a smaller portion of fish and chips as compared to Bistro charges like $5.99 for it. You get what you pay for. The fish and chips at Bistro are always hot and delicious and you get a large portion of fish and fries for that price. You get a smaller, sitting under heat lamps portion from Commons and its not anywhere near as good.

Just b/c 1280 is a service provided to students by the MSU doesn't mean they're obligated to be serving students at rock bottom prices which is what you're obviously expecting.

Quite honestly you should be reserving judgment until you've actually seen/tried the food. You can't say X is too much to pay for Y when you haven't seen the portion size for Y, the quality of the food or the quality of the service.

As for defending 1280 all I'm saying is don't knock it until you've tried it. Based on what 1280 is promoted as and the food they have on their menu it is unfair to compare them to somewhere like Commons.

Fair prices do interest me but at this point I haven't been to 1280 and based on other restaurants those prices don't seem too unfair to me. Also I've already mentioned its not like I personally would be eating lunch at somewhere like 1280 every day. I will usually be bringing a lunch to campus and on days when I do decide to buy lunch I will be going to a nice place where the food is good quality and I enjoy it. Eating at somewhere like 1280, Bistro or Bridges will be an occasionally treat. If I have time/want to maybe I'll eat out at one or the other once a week with a friend.

My facts are far more solid and less vague than yours quite frankly. You're calling the food cold and greasy without even seeing or tasting it yet. I actually compared the prices, real factual prices for a dish you mentioned being extravagant in cost to a real restaurant and another on campus offering.

Taunton says thanks to sew12 for this post.

adrian likes this.

Old 09-09-2009 at 03:54 PM   #34
Kara.mcgowen

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:

Catering, diners, grocery-convienence stores, and half-day restaurants were a set of businesses in my family when I was young and so growing up I was afforded the opportunity of seeing what the actual cost of product is, and where markup comes from.
Here's irony for you! Why is it fine that your family marks-up prices but so wrong for the MSU to do the same? If You really think hard about it the profit the MSU makes no matter how big or small goes into MSU events which ALL students can enjoy!

Besides the whole point of the original comment was that YOU ghjkghkghkgh, was that you haven't even tried the food before you made slanderous comments!

Old 09-09-2009 at 04:37 PM   #35
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
...2 Pieces of Government ID? .__.

...Would the old white-and-red health cards work?
What about people who are old enough to drink, but don't have their licence and therefore only have 1 piece of government ID?

And why does it say "128Q" ?

Last edited by Kathy2 : 09-09-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Old 09-09-2009 at 05:39 PM   #36
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara.mcgowen View Post
Here's irony for you! Why is it fine that your family marks-up prices but so wrong for the MSU to do the same? If You really think hard about it the profit the MSU makes no matter how big or small goes into MSU events which ALL students can enjoy!

Besides the whole point of the original comment was that YOU ghjkghkghkgh, was that you haven't even tried the food before you made slanderous comments!
First that would be hypocrisy, not irony.

I never said a markup was bad, I just questioned what markup would be fair and whether what 1280 is marking up is fair.

Last edited by ghjkghkghkgh : 09-09-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Old 09-09-2009 at 05:41 PM   #37
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Clearly you chose to pick apart my post and only reply to things that would suit you.

I addressed the issue of other on campus food establishments which btw are not run by the MSU. Hospitality Services runs the other food establishments on campus. The MSU only runs 1280, and Union Market in terms of places where food can be purchased. 1280 is their only eat in food establishment.

As I said the only on campus food establishments you can legitimately compare 1280 to are Bistro and Bridges. You can't compare a hot plate of food at a sit down restaurant with servers etc to getting a cold sandwhich or hamburger or whatever at Commons. It isn't the same thing and therefore doesn't come with the same price tag.

Also your notions of what is a ridiculous price for X are off. Have you ever been to a restaurant or do you think all restaurant prices everywhere are ridiculous? $9 for fish and chips for example is a steal if you compare that to say Kelsey's which has recently added fish and chips to their menu for $12.99. To compare to on campus Bistro has fish and chips for $9 as well. Commons where you get lower quality and a smaller portion of fish and chips as compared to Bistro charges like $5.99 for it. You get what you pay for. The fish and chips at Bistro are always hot and delicious and you get a large portion of fish and fries for that price. You get a smaller, sitting under heat lamps portion from Commons and its not anywhere near as good.

Just b/c 1280 is a service provided to students by the MSU doesn't mean they're obligated to be serving students at rock bottom prices which is what you're obviously expecting.

Quite honestly you should be reserving judgment until you've actually seen/tried the food. You can't say X is too much to pay for Y when you haven't seen the portion size for Y, the quality of the food or the quality of the service.

As for defending 1280 all I'm saying is don't knock it until you've tried it. Based on what 1280 is promoted as and the food they have on their menu it is unfair to compare them to somewhere like Commons.

Fair prices do interest me but at this point I haven't been to 1280 and based on other restaurants those prices don't seem too unfair to me. Also I've already mentioned its not like I personally would be eating lunch at somewhere like 1280 every day. I will usually be bringing a lunch to campus and on days when I do decide to buy lunch I will be going to a nice place where the food is good quality and I enjoy it. Eating at somewhere like 1280, Bistro or Bridges will be an occasionally treat. If I have time/want to maybe I'll eat out at one or the other once a week with a friend.

My facts are far more solid and less vague than yours quite frankly. You're calling the food cold and greasy without even seeing or tasting it yet. I actually compared the prices, real factual prices for a dish you mentioned being extravagant in cost to a real restaurant and another on campus offering.

OK fine, I'll drop the cold fries thing - it wasn't really the point anyway. Happy?

Seeing as how my comment about Barnum went completely under the radar, I think I'll just call you the winrar of this internet argument. You do indeed deserve it. Well played.

Old 09-09-2009 at 06:05 PM   #38
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
What about people who are old enough to drink, but don't have their licence and therefore only have 1 piece of government ID?

And why does it say "128Q" ?
2 pieces of ID means 2 pieces of ID. There are multiple different forms of identification you can use.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-09-2009 at 06:41 PM   #39
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times
Quote:
Are you kidding? It's about 2 cents worth of ice cream and maybe 45 seconds of labour.
That can be said for most things. The point I'm making is in comparison to what I believe one may traditionally pay for a scoop of ice cream at similar establishments. Albeit I may not generally know what ice cream costs per scoop when served at a restaurant, in my opinion I feel that this is a sizable dessert at a fair cost. If you can find a restaurant that serves ice cream at 2 cents per scoop, then please do share because I'm sure many other people would be more than happy to know.

Last edited by RoyK : 09-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Old 09-09-2009 at 08:09 PM   #40
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
2 pieces of ID means 2 pieces of ID. There are multiple different forms of identification you can use.
It says "Two pieces of government I.D. required on all purchases of alcohol" though. I only have 1 piece of government ID - my health card. I don't have a licence or a passport or any other government ID.

Old 09-10-2009 at 01:00 PM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
It says "Two pieces of government I.D. required on all purchases of alcohol" though. I only have 1 piece of government ID - my health card. I don't have a licence or a passport or any other government ID.
You have a SIN card. You should also have a birth certificate.

Old 09-10-2009 at 01:35 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Are those actually valid for identification? They don't have pictures on them...

Old 09-10-2009 at 05:21 PM   #43
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I really don't think it's a good idea to carry those around, especially if I'm going out to drink. Besides, they don't even have photo ID.

Old 09-10-2009 at 05:37 PM   #44
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
I really don't think it's a good idea to carry those around, especially if I'm going out to drink. Besides, they don't even have photo ID.
Yes definitely don't give out your SIN card to anyone, especially not at a bar. That's awful advice.

It doesn't say photo ID but government issued ID usually means photo ID.

I would think they would accept one photo ID (like a driver's license or new health card) with a government issued non photo ID. I can't be sure on this though.

For anyone who is looking for a piece of ID and doesn't have their license just go write the G1 test. It comes in handy to use as ID even if you don't drive.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search