MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Centro/New Commons menu **jewel 03** General Discussion 17 09-28-2010 05:17 PM
Where is Twelve Eighty? Strategy General Discussion 6 09-20-2010 10:41 PM
Mystery Mansion at Twelve Eighty Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-01-2009 05:47 PM
SRA Member Shares Twelve-Eighty Plans Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 08-04-2009 07:39 PM

Twelve Eighty's Menu

Old 09-10-2009 at 07:12 PM   #45
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Yes definitely don't give out your SIN card to anyone, especially not at a bar. That's awful advice.

It doesn't say photo ID but government issued ID usually means photo ID.

I would think they would accept one photo ID (like a driver's license or new health card) with a government issued non photo ID. I can't be sure on this though.

For anyone who is looking for a piece of ID and doesn't have their license just go write the G1 test. It comes in handy to use as ID even if you don't drive.
The reason I don't have even my G1 yet is because I can't afford it. There's no way I can pay for it, just so I can have some extra ID.

I'm hoping they will accept my health card and my student card. That's really all I have.

Old 09-10-2009 at 08:03 PM   #46
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
The reason I don't have even my G1 yet is because I can't afford it. There's no way I can pay for it, just so I can have some extra ID.

I'm hoping they will accept my health card and my student card. That's really all I have.
Your student card isn't government issued so if they're strict on the government issued point than no they won't accept it.

If your health card has a photo it is probably perfectly acceptable but they are still asking for two.

You could always go drink at another off-campus bar that accepts 1 piece of ID instead.

Old 09-10-2009 at 08:08 PM   #47
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Since when are they allowed to accept the health card as I.D?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-10-2009 at 08:13 PM   #48
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
It is government issued, all it says is government issued.

That said they are looking for 2 pieces of government issued ID which likely means they are looking for a driver's license as well as something like your health card.

The new health cards are just as good as a driver's license for ID purposes. They're pretty much the same except green instead of blue.

Old 09-10-2009 at 08:18 PM   #49
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
It is government issued, all it says is government issued.

That said they are looking for 2 pieces of government issued ID which likely means they are looking for a driver's license as well as something like your health card.

The new health cards are just as good as a driver's license for ID purposes. They're pretty much the same except green instead of blue.
I've always been told that they are NOT allowed to accept the health cards and that it's only supposed to be used in clinics/hospitals. I've also seen friends being denied drinks because they tried to use their health cards. I can't imagine me being the only person who's experienced this though.

But I agree, I don't know what else they'd want you to bring... bringing your sin card, birth certificate, or passport to any place (especially one where you've been drinking) is somewhat of a stupid move.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-10-2009 at 08:27 PM   #50
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Last I heard, they cannot ASK for a health card, but if it's offered, it's as valid as a drivers license, or any other photo ID. Some places will not accept it though, because of the weird laws about privacy concerning it.

As far as the birth certificate and SIN card go, using a SIN is just...well, stupid. but a birth certificate can be used to corroborate another piece of ID. I've seen bouncers use them before just to check and make sure the license/Health Card was valid.

lawleypop says thanks to reeves for this post.

Old 09-10-2009 at 08:44 PM   #51
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Last I heard, they cannot ASK for a health card, but if it's offered, it's as valid as a drivers license, or any other photo ID. Some places will not accept it though, because of the weird laws about privacy concerning it.

As far as the birth certificate and SIN card go, using a SIN is just...well, stupid. but a birth certificate can be used to corroborate another piece of ID. I've seen bouncers use them before just to check and make sure the license/Health Card was valid.
This is correct. I used to work at a place that sold cigarettes and they drilled into us that we can't ask for a health card, but if someone offers to use it as ID, that's fine.

lawleypop says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

Old 09-10-2009 at 10:56 PM   #52
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
I was just making the point that they want government ID... a SIN card or Birth Certificate counts.

I'm not advocating using either of them, but if you have no choice, then you have no choice.

Old 09-11-2009 at 02:37 AM   #53
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times
I think what they are saying is to be prepared to be asked for two. I doubt they will ever ask for two, or if you really only have one they wont be too hard. But they will reserve the right to ask for a second peice if the first doesn't seem to fit quite right. I just seriously dont see them asking for two peices all the time.

Old 09-11-2009 at 09:34 AM   #54
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
I don't get it... do people want the place to break even... or do people want almost free food?

Old 09-11-2009 at 12:16 PM   #55
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times
Two pieces of government ID is ridiculous. Health cards have always been iffy for being "legitimate ID" (why, I have no idea).

If they really want to crack down on under age students (which seems silly to me in the first place - if they have a legitimate enough piece of ID, let them go in and spend their money! .... *thinks of stupid first years*... actually, card them as hard as possible) then they should have a scanner. The vast majority of people present their drivers license as ID, and scanning would solve a lot of issues.

"Why are you showing me your G1 when it shows here that you have a G license in 'your' name? Get outta here."

If they ask me for two pieces, I just won't go back and stick with the Phoenix... which, incidentally, is almost always awesome.

Old 09-11-2009 at 12:20 PM   #56
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times
I forgot about this: http://www.lcbo.com/socialresponsibi...olminors.shtml

LCBO has a "valid drinkers card" or something like that which basically says that it is legal to serve you alcohol. If 1280 won't accept that, then just call the ministry of labour and bust their ass. The card costs $20.

Taunton likes this.

Old 09-13-2009 at 01:11 PM   #57
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theomicron View Post
I forgot about this: http://www.lcbo.com/socialresponsibi...olminors.shtml

LCBO has a "valid drinkers card" or something like that which basically says that it is legal to serve you alcohol. If 1280 won't accept that, then just call the ministry of labour and bust their ass. The card costs $20.
Thanks for mentioning this... it's technically government ID anyways, so it would be against the 1280 policy to not accept it.

Old 09-17-2009 at 01:52 PM   #58
Great Fatsby

Liked: 0 Times
Can anyone who has been there confirm/deny if they actually check for 2 IDs? I only have a health card so...

Old 09-17-2009 at 05:41 PM   #59
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Fatsby View Post
Can anyone who has been there confirm/deny if they actually check for 2 IDs? I only have a health card so...
When I was there, I was carded. Don't ask why. Apparently I look like i'm under 19. Anyway, I showed my license, she apologized when she saw my age, and I got my beer. So no 2nd piece was needed then.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search