MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Which Laptop should I get?
MacBook Pro 18 45.00%
HP - Windows 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci student blocked out of Life Sci 2A03??? jubilantx Academics 4 06-14-2010 08:56 PM
Typical Timetable nick First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-22-2009 08:56 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM
Need some laptop advice for life sci. Sultan Computers & Tech 8 08-16-2009 05:14 PM
lesbian student life MissMalice General Discussion 3 03-08-2008 11:21 PM

Typical Laptop for a Life Science student?

Old 08-20-2009 at 01:58 PM   #1
AnthraX

Liked: 23 Times

Typical Laptop for a Life Science student?
Hey, I was just wondering want type of laptop would be good? I am going into first year Life Science and I was debating whether to buy a MacBook Pro or a HP Laptop. I am leaning more towards getting a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2GB Memory, but I had a few questions....

1) What are the most commonly used programs for completing homework/projects?

2) Are there any programs in first year/upper years of life science that only work on a certain type of operating system? Are there any programs that work only on windows and not on mac os x? (If you can recall please post the applications that are used by the profs of life science classes)

3) If I dual boot the MacBook with windows as well, is 2GB Memory going to be enough?

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:00 PM   #2
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

I can answer 3 because I'm a techie geek.
For Windows, optimally you should have 3-4GB for Vista/Windows 7.
2GB of memory is low, and if you're using Vista, it's quite the resource hog, and 2GB may not give you the best performance.

I would just get the HP. Apple laptops are a bit overpriced, and you would get more bang for your buck by going for a Windows-based laptop. Plus, if you buy now, you should get a free upgrade to Windows 7, which is supposed to be superior than Vista.

Last edited by Inferno : 08-20-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:05 PM   #3
AnthraX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I can answer 3 because I'm a techie geek.
For Windows, optimally you should have 3-4GB for Vista/Windows 7.
2GB of memory is low, and if you're using Vista, it's quite the resource hog, and 2GB may not give you the best performance.

I would just get the HP. Apple laptops are a bit overpriced, and you would get more bang for your buck by going for a Windows-based laptop. Plus, if you buy now, you should get a free upgrade to Windows 7, which is supposed to be superior than Vista.
Thanks for a quick reply I personally hate Vista and if I do dual boot I'll probably do Windows XP. But I think you're right, dual booting on a 2GB memory would certainly slow down the computer. Not a good idea!
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:07 PM   #4
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I'll agree. While the Macs are built very well and Apple provides excellent customer service, as someone who knows computers I personally can't justify the price for a Macbook. Especially when you get to the smaller laptops. As all the components are jammed into a tinier space, the price goes up!

You won't have any software compatability problems at all. I personally own an HP laptop, and it's been great for me. Do take advantage of the Windows 7 free upgrade, it's what windows Vista SHOULD have been. I bought my laptop over a year ago so I got shafted on that.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:08 PM   #5
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraX View Post
Hey, I was just wondering want type of laptop would be good? I am going into first year Life Science and I was debating whether to buy a MacBook Pro or a HP Laptop. I am leaning more towards getting a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2GB Memory, but I had a few questions....

1) What are the most commonly used programs for completing homework/projects?

2) Are there any programs in first year/upper years of life science that only work on a certain type of operating system? Are there any programs that work only on windows and not on mac os x? (If you can recall please post the applications that are used by the profs of life science classes)

3) If I dual boot the MacBook with windows as well, is 2GB Memory going to be enough?

Thank you!
Hey,
Last year I hardly used my computer for class. You will be mostly studying from your textbook/notes.
For bio labs you need excel for graphs and of course word as well as powerpoint for a presentation in first term. Other than that you really only need a computer that connects to the interet to check the course website.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:08 PM   #6
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

No problem! I personally would wait until 7 comes out (generally positive reviews about it, so far) and dual boot it with that. It's up to you however.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:12 PM   #7
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

First I strongly disagree about getting more "bang for your buck" for the hp laptop. As an owner of a Macbook, OSX comes with basically everything you need pre-installed as opposed to Windows. You also get the reliability of the OSX operating system without the troubles of Vista. I find that Apple products are priced very competitively considering all the features you get right out of the box. I would go with the MBP if I were you but if you are leaning towards windows (I don't know why anyone would) I would check out some dell laptops. As for your question about programs needed for science, I basically just used Microsoft word the most and there isn't any specific software you need for any science courses as far as I know.

Old 08-20-2009 at 03:56 PM   #8
AnthraX

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
First I strongly disagree about getting more "bang for your buck" for the hp laptop. As an owner of a Macbook, OSX comes with basically everything you need pre-installed as opposed to Windows. You also get the reliability of the OSX operating system without the troubles of Vista. I find that Apple products are priced very competitively considering all the features you get right out of the box. I would go with the MBP if I were you but if you are leaning towards windows (I don't know why anyone would) I would check out some dell laptops. As for your question about programs needed for science, I basically just used Microsoft word the most and there isn't any specific software you need for any science courses as far as I know.
I think it would be great to get a MacBook Pro but I am like 90% newbie to Mac OS X software (I have been using Windows for several years now). I know like most of the basic stuff, using Safari, iTunes, iWork etc. but don't know the commands and shortcuts and other necessary stuff about Mac OS X.

Thanks for all your replies.

How long do you think it would take me(or an average person) to get used to this operating system and to the basic programs such as iWork?

Also, about the battery life, I heard the battery drains out pretty quickly on Windows running laptops compared to MacBook given that they are running the basic stuff. Myth or fact?

Anything else about windows or macbook, please feel free to tell me.

Thank you very much!
Old 08-20-2009 at 03:58 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I think it would be great to get a MacBook Pro but I am like 90% newbie to Mac OS X software (I have been using Windows for several years now). I know like most of the basic stuff, using Safari, iTunes, iWork etc. but don't know the commands and shortcuts and other necessary stuff about Mac OS X.

How long do you think it would take me(or an average person) to get used to this operating system and to the basic programs such as iWork?

Also, about the battery life, I heard the battery drains out pretty quickly on Windows running laptops compared to MacBook given that they are running the basic stuff. Myth or fact?

Thank you very much!
You don't need to know the shortcuts. It's just useful to know. Gradually you'll get used to it. It'll probably take you a week or two. The keyboard shortcuts are actually shown on the keyboard.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:00 PM   #10
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:

Thank you very much!
The shortcuts are pretty much the same as windows just instead on press control you press command.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:00 PM   #11
u.yousaf

Quote:

Thank you very much!
The battery problem is a definite fact. In terms of using the operating system, it's extremely easy. This was my first mac and previously I had always used windows. I learned the basics very quickly and you pick up on the shortcuts fairly quickly as well. I actually found OSX to be easier to use than Windows and I personally don't use iWork since MS office is the norm but the software is very similar.

Old 08-20-2009 at 04:09 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
The shortcuts are pretty much the same as windows just instead on press control you press command.
I think he was referring to shortcuts that aren't on Windows like when you make all the windows appear on the screen and can select them. Or the shortcuts on the multi-touch pad such as scrolling (using 2 fingers) and the backwards and forwards in the browser (4 fingers). There's also shortcuts for Firefox but you have to activate them in the about:config and they are different (They use circular motions to move backwards and forwards.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:15 PM   #13
u.yousaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
like when you make all the windows appear on the screen and can select them.
That's actually not really a shortcut. There's a dedicated button for that.

Old 08-20-2009 at 04:16 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
That's actually not really a shortcut. There's a dedicated button for that.
I consider it a shortcut
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:22 PM   #15
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Sorry if this was already said but yes: Windows batterys overall suck. The plus side is that after about a year of having a laptop with a windows system, the battery price usually goes down drastically because of newer models.

I was fighting over this issue myself. Personally, I chose a Windows because I've only known Windows in my life.... That and I can fix it, if a problem occurs. With a mac, not so much.

EDIT: anyone ever notice mac batteries seems to never drop in price.....