MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Which Laptop should I get?
MacBook Pro 18 45.00%
HP - Windows 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci student blocked out of Life Sci 2A03??? jubilantx Academics 4 06-14-2010 08:56 PM
Typical Timetable nick First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-22-2009 08:56 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM
Need some laptop advice for life sci. Sultan Computers & Tech 8 08-16-2009 05:14 PM
lesbian student life MissMalice General Discussion 3 03-08-2008 11:21 PM

Typical Laptop for a Life Science student?

Old 08-20-2009 at 04:54 PM   #16
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

I have a Dell laptop that I got 3 years ago and I upgraded my battery....back when I got it, it could last about 7-8 hours but now its down to about 6 hours...still really good though. I've had no problems with my Dell.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:55 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
I have a Dell laptop that I got 3 years ago and I upgraded my battery....back when I got it, it could last about 7-8 hours but now its down to about 6 hours...still really good though. I've had no problems with my Dell.
Is the battery pack you upgraded to the one that sticks out of the laptop?
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:57 PM   #18
caroline54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Is the battery pack you upgraded to the one that sticks out of the laptop?
Yeah. It doesnt stick out thattttt much though, lol
It was worth it in my opinion, since I never have to bring my power cord to school.
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:02 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah. It doesnt stick out thattttt much though, lol
It was worth it in my opinion, since I never have to bring my power cord to school.
That's true... My laptop still lasts long enough but I'll probably have to do the same thing. Around what cost will I have to pay for a battery?
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:09 PM   #20
caroline54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's true... My laptop still lasts long enough but I'll probably have to do the same thing. Around what cost will I have to pay for a battery?
Probably around $200 but I guess it depends exactly what battery and what kinda laptop you have. Kinda pricey
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:17 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Probably around $200 but I guess it depends exactly what battery and what kinda laptop you have. Kinda pricey
Yeah, it definitively differs between laptops and batteries. Yeah, kind of expensive... I'll give my laptop until it falls under 2-3 hours of battery time before I buy a battery for it.
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:43 PM   #22
Ivan Q.

I'm pretty sure that you got all the answers you need. But I was just wondering why you would need a MacBook Pro? I really don't think you need to have such high specs to run basic programs like Word, Power Point and Excel...

From my experience (as an Honours Genetics student), you really don't need to bring a laptop to class. I found that not very many people used them... plus, it would be hard to draw nice diagrams on your computer and label them fast enough! I did however find that a laptop is nice to have in between classes as you don't need to worry about finding a computer at the library.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:18 PM   #23
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraX View Post
How long do you think it would take me(or an average person) to get used to this operating system and to the basic programs such as iWork?
If you're good with computers it'll take you a week max to get used to it. It's seriously easy. Another thing if you do get the pro as well, you probably won't need to buy a mouse for it. You might hate the track pad, but with the finger gestures it makes everything so easy and efficient. I bought a mouse and I've only ever used it for gaming, FPSes and the like. So if you're not a gamer, don't get a mouse, get use to the awesome trackpad.
I'd suggest just to get Microsoft Office for mac, iWork has some serious cool features, especially keynote for making slides, but office is the general program used and will make things a little easier for you.
Old 08-21-2009 at 12:09 AM   #24
Dulitha

Liked: Liked 4 Times

I bought the new Sony Vaio.If you are buying one,their laptops look cool as apples but you can save around 300 dollars getting one of them. So defiantly check them out.
Old 08-21-2009 at 10:13 AM   #25
AnthraX

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
I'm pretty sure that you got all the answers you need. But I was just wondering why you would need a MacBook Pro? I really don't think you need to have such high specs to run basic programs like Word, Power Point and Excel...

From my experience (as an Honours Genetics student), you really don't need to bring a laptop to class. I found that not very many people used them... plus, it would be hard to draw nice diagrams on your computer and label them fast enough! I did however find that a laptop is nice to have in between classes as you don't need to worry about finding a computer at the library.
I am getting a really good deal with FutureShop for MacBook Pro right now. And I want to learn this new os; I don't wanna get stuck using windows for my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
If you're good with computers it'll take you a week max to get used to it. It's seriously easy. Another thing if you do get the pro as well, you probably won't need to buy a mouse for it. You might hate the track pad, but with the finger gestures it makes everything so easy and efficient. I bought a mouse and I've only ever used it for gaming, FPSes and the like. So if you're not a gamer, don't get a mouse, get use to the awesome trackpad.
I'd suggest just to get Microsoft Office for mac, iWork has some serious cool features, especially keynote for making slides, but office is the general program used and will make things a little easier for you.
Oh yeah! I completely forgot about Microsoft Office for the Mac. Also, I heard that gaming and Mac don't mix very well.

Voting so far is in favour of HP - Windows hmmm....
Old 08-21-2009 at 10:23 AM   #26
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
I am getting a really good deal with FutureShop for MacBook Pro right now. And I want to learn this new os; I don't wanna get stuck using windows for my life

It's easy to switch to a Mac. I love my Mac and the customer service is amazing. I've had mine for 3 years and many people still ask me if it's a new laptop =p.

I dislike Windows, so I'm kind of biased though.
Old 08-21-2009 at 10:42 AM   #27
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
NO not HP!! Don't do it!

Old 08-21-2009 at 11:15 AM   #28
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
NO not HP!! Don't do it!
What's wrong with HP? HP is legit...
Old 08-21-2009 at 11:19 AM   #29
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
What's wrong with HP? HP is legit...
I've had pretty bad experiences with HP laptops and have heard very bad things about them from others that have had the misfortune of purchasing one.

Old 08-21-2009 at 12:47 PM   #30
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
I've had pretty bad experiences with HP laptops and have heard very bad things about them from others that have had the misfortune of purchasing one.
I don't get why people keep saying that. I've never had any problems with HP computers, and all my friends that have them haven't either. I tend to take care of mine though, so I don't know how much stress it can endure.