MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the requirements of getting into medical school? maay29 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-02-2012 07:03 PM
Medical school course load requirements IqzFendi Academics 10 07-13-2012 03:31 PM
requirements for med school kwyhan Academics 3 09-14-2010 10:58 PM
Ontario Medical School Requirements samtheman89 Academics 54 08-28-2009 02:20 PM
course requirements for med school nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-07-2009 02:35 PM

U.S. medical school requirements

Old 07-23-2012 at 10:27 AM   #1
ashish_s

Liked: 0 Times

U.S. medical school requirements
I hear that medical schools in the U.S. require English and other courses beyond what is normally expected (bio, chem, etc) from medical schools here in Canada. Can anyone confirm or give me any advice in terms of medical schools? I will most likely attend McMasters school of medicine but want to keep my options open and include the states.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2012 at 10:33 AM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Click HERE

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 07-23-2012 at 10:37 AM   #3
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Yes. That's correct.
Go to aamc.org. It has everything you need to know with regards to medical school admissions.
the general requirements can be found here:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/

However, different schools may vary in their pre-req requirements so check each school individually.

What year are you in? First?
Although I sincerely wish you get into Mac's med as you desire, but you can't be sure of that. Admission into any med school in Canada is a blessing, which thousands would die for. Apply broadly, if you get into Mac, well and good.
Also, since you're just in first year, your preferences may change over time according to the style of teaching at different institutions.

Advice: don't procrastinate, keep your GPA high, do well on the MCAT (30+) (particularly in verbal reasoning for MAC), volunteer and have some EC's (what you LIKE, not what the ADCOMS will like) - pick up few projects but show long term committment).

Remember, GPA is king.

Most importantly: have a social life. Balance is key. These four years of undergrad will only happen once.

ashish_s says thanks to Phantom for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 12:40 PM   #4
ashish_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Click HERE
i have been waiting so long for a response like that. you and i are going to be great friends (no sarcasm)

and yea, i googled it and go to the website before i posted on this thread. i couldn't find specifics so i asked here. thanks for your input!
Old 07-23-2012 at 12:44 PM   #5
ashish_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Yes. That's correct.
Go to aamc.org. It has everything you need to know with regards to medical school admissions.
the general requirements can be found here:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/

However, different schools may vary in their pre-req requirements so check each school individually.

What year are you in? First?
Although I sincerely wish you get into Mac's med as you desire, but you can't be sure of that. Admission into any med school in Canada is a blessing, which thousands would die for. Apply broadly, if you get into Mac, well and good.
Also, since you're just in first year, your preferences may change over time according to the style of teaching at different institutions.

Advice: don't procrastinate, keep your GPA high, do well on the MCAT (30+) (particularly in verbal reasoning for MAC), volunteer and have some EC's (what you LIKE, not what the ADCOMS will like) - pick up few projects but show long term committment).

Remember, GPA is king.

Most importantly: have a social life. Balance is key. These four years of undergrad will only happen once.
I really like your recommendations! Thank you so much!

I have a few questions. What are ADCOMS? I was told that verbal reasoning is key when applying to mac's med school. are there any other things they look for? i also wanted to volunteer at the hospital on campus. do i check with the hospital for volunteer positions or is it facilitated through oscar? i've heard that 1st years don't really get to work on projects and it's usually for upper year students, is that true? if not, what kind of projects are first years welcome to work on?

once again, thanks for your help!
Old 07-23-2012 at 01:05 PM   #6
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish_s View Post

I have a few questions. What are ADCOMS? I was told that verbal reasoning is key when applying to mac's med school. are there any other things they look for? i also wanted to volunteer at the hospital on campus. do i check with the hospital for volunteer positions or is it facilitated through oscar? i've heard that 1st years don't really get to work on projects and it's usually for upper year students, is that true? if not, what kind of projects are first years welcome to work on?

Quote:
What are ADCOMS?
Admissions committees - the people who decide who to give interviews to and such.

Quote:
are there any other things they look for?
IIRC, this year, (as in the application cycle coming up) it is 32% CASPer, 32% GPA, 32% VR score, with a few extra percent given to those with a Masters or Ph.D.
It changes every year though.

ashish_s says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 06:49 PM   #7
ashish_s

I looked through the resources available and have one question. Do medical school care when a certain subject was taken? For example, currently my timetable is full as I have 15 units in both terms. I want to take English in the summer term, is that possible/allowed?
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:02 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Google your school of interest. Check out their admission requirements. There are 16 Canadian med schools and probably more than 2x that in the US. People on the Internet cannot do your homework for you.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-23-2012 at 08:44 PM   #9
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Google your school of interest. Check out their admission requirements. There are 16 Canadian med schools and probably more than 2x that in the US. People on the Internet cannot do your homework for you.
There are presently 134 accredited MD-granting institutions and 26 accredited DO-granting institutions in the U.S.

The US has 160 total; 10x ours. But that makes sense I guess since the US population is 10x ours.

Also:

Quote:
I will most likely attend McMasters school of medicine but want to keep my options open and include the states.
This is pretty cute.

Old 07-23-2012 at 09:01 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
There are presently 134 accredited MD-granting institutions and 26 accredited DO-granting institutions in the U.S.

The US has 160 total; 10x ours. But that makes sense I guess since the US population is 10x ours.

Also:

This is pretty cute.
I figured it was some crazy amount. Thanks for the quote, Kamran. Just not interested in looking it up. Ty

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-23-2012 at 10:11 PM   #11
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:

I've mentioned everything they look for. Your EC's can be diverse. There is no single medical school admission winning formula when it comes to EC's. Some students have never even stepped into a hospital and still gained admission. Do what YOU LIKE, trust me you'll have a good time doing it too.

What projects are you asking about? By projects, I meant anything under the EC/volunteer banner. If you meant research projects, you could try after first year (with a doctor or a supervisor at mac, e.g. for bio) but most students do research in the summer following second year. By this time, they normally have sufficient exposure of university as well as academic coursework for professors to consider having them work in their labs.

As of now, I'd suggest to focus on your GPA and maybe pick up one or two EC's (e.g. volunteer with a club of interest, in the community, etc). Make sure you don't bomb your first year, which is kinda common in first year life sci students.

ashish_s says thanks to Phantom for this post.

ashish_s likes this.