MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 07-05-2009 at 06:27 PM   #721
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I wish SOLAR sectioned us immediately.
I really want to pick my timeslots.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-09-2009 at 12:27 AM   #722
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Okay, here I go. I realize SOLAR's a bit of a necessary evil, but I'm still gonna complain, 'cause I'm a professional.

A lot of issues with full courses - my first choices for Math (now 1LS3 instead of my first choice) and English (long genre switch for short) as well as Kinesiology (end up taking History instead). Well, it's not academic sabotage - math seems to be easier now, which is nice since I hate it. English is fine - I did A LOT of poetry in IB, plus it means less reading (-.-). I basically did 20th century history too, and I really enjoy it, so that's fine.

I suppose it works out for me, but I was a bit upset right while it was happening - the time limit really stressed me out because I felt like I had to rush through and still get it perfect the first time. I had a best-case timetable written out and everything - having to go and turn that upside down made me really annoyed. Plus, there was the whole aspect of fighitng against other students, the feeling that every minute counted.

What really bothered me was I was online at 10 am, before most people get out of bed, and I still had to work around issues. I supose it doesn't help that I'm in Science either, since we basically have our go after everyone else.

I hope that change next year, that Science goes first and Art/Science and the other first day faculties go last, just for the sake of fairness. I can't help but feel I kind of got the short end of the stick on that.

Well, that was my SOLAR rant. At least it seems to have worked out well.
Old 07-09-2009 at 12:30 AM   #723
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

If it's any solace, you still have a good chance to get into your courses on August 13th onwards.

For whatever reasons; People drop classes, get their conditional offers retracted, switch faculties, change their mind about university etc.
Old 07-09-2009 at 03:40 AM   #724
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Ppl probably got on at midnight right when the system opened which isvwhy the popular courses like Kin filled up. I am guessing you wanted Math 1ao3 and apologise if wrong. I'm glad it worked out for you. I don't know what happened this year. It's been full since the first day of our registrations and I had to email the math dept to get in. If you didn't or weren't granted a seat and were a Business One student, you were instructed to take the other Math. I'm also sorry to hear about English but do remember that your elective is someone else's requirement and an Eng major may have needed that class. Next year stay up if possible. It sucks when your best case scenario doesn't work out and mine didn't so draw up a few other plans. If your heart is set on a course identify the cpntact people before hand so if you find it's full you can email right away. Ps. Humanties students had a tough time as is. 3 other faculties competed with them. Four did with sox sci. Good luck in august. I hope it works out

Typed on an iPod Touch

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-13-2009 at 03:59 PM   #725
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

They changed the time for Statistics. It's now freaking 4:30 to 5:20 PM.
I want to punch somebody in the face.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-13-2009 at 04:09 PM   #726
PTGregD
Elite Member

You know what's worse than dealing with SOLAR?

Dealing with SOLAR and ROSI (UofT's course selection). I'm trying to not only get into my own electives on SOLAR, but I'm helping my girlfriend get into hers as well because she is out of the country.

I now realize that course selection sucks everywhere lol.
Old 07-13-2009 at 04:12 PM   #727
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You know what's worse than dealing with SOLAR?

Dealing with SOLAR and ROSI (UofT's course selection). I'm trying to not only get into my own electives on SOLAR, but I'm helping my girlfriend get into hers as well because she is out of the country.

I now realize that course selection sucks everywhere lol.
Yes I have to plan for course selection when I leave.
I plan to ask my mum, my friend who has high speed internet in the UAE (where I'll be going), myself :king02: and maybe even an upper year on MacInsiders

Edit: You could also work at coordinating your course selections so that you have more time to spend together

Edit II: You'd mentioned you go back home on weekends. You could then, keep her Fridays free (if you have that option) and when sectioning rolls around for us keep your's free too.
But then again, you probably already knew that given how you teleport and things.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 07-13-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2009 at 06:15 PM   #728
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Yes I have to plan for course selection when I leave.
I plan to ask my mum, my friend who has high speed internet in the UAE (where I'll be going), myself :king02: and maybe even an upper year on MacInsiders
I suggest not getting an upper year to do your course selection. Not even a friend unless you REALLY trust them and have known them for years. The reason being is that if you give them your MacID and password, they can steal so much information through McMaster University Portal. Things like your SIN, information contained in your McMaster e-mail, your address, your telephone number, etc...
Old 07-13-2009 at 06:40 PM   #729
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Edit II: You'd mentioned you go back home on weekends. You could then, keep her Fridays free (if you have that option) and when sectioning rolls around for us keep your's free too.
But then again, you probably already knew that given how you teleport and things.
Haha, teleportation would be pretty awesome. She is going to have Fridays off, and I'm going to have an 8:30 class on Friday only, so it should work out pretty well.

And the waitlist mechanic on UofT's course selection is overrated. Not all classes have waitlists.
Old 07-13-2009 at 07:24 PM   #730
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I suggest not getting an upper year to do your course selection. Not even a friend unless you REALLY trust them and have known them for years. The reason being is that if you give them your MacID and password, they can steal so much information through McMaster University Portal. Things like your SIN, information contained in your McMaster e-mail, your address, your telephone number, etc...
Ironically my sister just told me the same thing almost exactly an hour ago I believe

Well I've known my friend since we were just potty trained and I trust him, but even if for some strange reason I didn't, he doesn't live here nor does he have any need for my information so we're good

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-13-2009 at 07:25 PM   #731
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Haha, teleportation would be pretty awesome. She is going to have Fridays off, and I'm going to have an 8:30 class on Friday only, so it should work out pretty well.

And the waitlist mechanic on UofT's course selection is overrated. Not all classes have waitlists.
Damn you, Gregory is quickly becoming a favourite catchphrase of mine.
Here I just got jacked with Statistics and you have one class on Friday.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-13-2009 at 11:59 PM   #732
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

MATH 1M03 is FULL!! This doesn't make sense... there is more room in MATH 1K03 than Math 1M03?
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:02 AM   #733
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
MATH 1M03 is FULL!! This doesn't make sense... there is more room in MATH 1K03 than Math 1M03?
There is actually more seats in Math 1M03 than in Math 1K03. Math 1M03 has 3 cores while Math 1K03 only has 1 (And I know there is more seats for sure because the 1 room that Math 1K03 uses, Math 1M03 also uses).

It just means more people want to take Math 1M03 than 1K03, which would make sense because McMaster allocated more seats to Math 1M03 than Math 1K03.
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:03 AM   #734
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There is actually more seats in Math 1M03 than in Math 1K03. Math 1M03 has 3 cores while Math 1K03 only has 1 (And I know there is more seats for sure because the 1 room that Math 1K03 uses, Math 1M03 also uses).

It just means more people want to take Math 1M03 than 1K03, which would make sense because McMaster allocated more seats to Math 1M03 than Math 1K03.
Do you think there will be a seat available once timetables come out?
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:05 AM   #735
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
Do you think there will be a seat available once timetables come out?
Possibly. Nothing is for sure, but chances are someone will drop the course. There are many reasons such as they are just taking the course as a filler in case they don't get into the other course they want or they may have changed their minds.

Matthew K says thanks to jhan523 for this post.