MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mark As Sold - Changes Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-08-2010 12:12 PM
Participation Marks? ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-26-2010 04:13 PM
Calculating Course Mark rossignol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 12-12-2009 05:47 PM
Class participation--i clicker kanishka Academics 1 11-20-2009 08:54 AM
Are we not required to go to class for participation marks? Hallandale General Discussion 11 11-02-2009 12:00 AM

Unfair Group Participation Mark Help

Old 04-20-2011 at 10:57 AM   #16
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
You people are wierd who give others less than perfect...

I just give everyone perfect for group evaluation, and if I didn't like em I just avoid grouping up with with them. Why burn bridges? :S
I would be inclined to agree with you, if I hadn't heard of how crappy some people can be about submitting in their work on time. Quality work, might I add. And when I think of my grade being based on the half-hearted work of another, it really doesn't sit well. If I'm going to get a 50% on my paper because of you, you deserve even less.

You being a completely metaphorical being in this sense.

taylojl likes this.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:50 PM   #17
shurlee

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
You people are wierd who give others less than perfect...

I just give everyone perfect for group evaluation, and if I didn't like em I just avoid grouping up with with them. Why burn bridges? :S
I would not give a person perfect for group participation if their work effort was not the same as the rest of the group members as it's not fair. Especially when the other group members had to write their part last minute because they didn't send their information when the group had originally discussed.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:59 PM   #18
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

unless someone absolutely did not show up and participate in anyway, shape or form - i would give them perfect. who has really been affected by that anyway - to some degree, im not in a competition with them, so im not trying to spite anyone. whether i liked their work ethic or not, as long as the contributed to getting the work finished, i a content. the goal is for me to get the highest mark possible - and if little intervention from one a the group members allowed for that - i would thank them with a perfect. besides, giving a 100% to them is a lot less work than saying what they did not do "right"

...?!!, L'Étoile all say thanks to AlexBatt for this post.
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:04 PM   #19
...?!!
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
unless someone absolutely did not show up and participate in anyway, shape or form - i would give them perfect. who has really been affected by that anyway - to some degree, im not in a competition with them, so im not trying to spite anyone. whether i liked their work ethic or not, as long as the contributed to getting the work finished, i a content. the goal is for me to get the highest mark possible - and if little intervention from one a the group members allowed for that - i would thank them with a perfect. besides, giving a 100% to them is a lot less work than saying what they did not do "right"
Pretty much this. If they can get some work done, might as well give them the 100. Unless they we're EXTREMELY troublesome, there's really not an issue to giving them 100. Unequal work done is subjective anyway; their part could have arguably been more difficult or something. And in reply to shurlee, with your mindset, I guess a group leader would probably be the only one to get 100 then, seeing as how they have initiative. Then everyone would deserve less? I hardly see that as the way to go about things. Every team needs both leaders and followers. At the end of the day, the end result is what matters.
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:18 PM   #20
shurlee

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...?!! View Post
Pretty much this. If they can get some work done, might as well give them the 100. Unless they we're EXTREMELY troublesome, there's really not an issue to giving them 100. Unequal work done is subjective anyway; their part could have arguably been more difficult or something. And in reply to shurlee, with your mindset, I guess a group leader would probably be the only one to get 100 then, seeing as how they have initiative. Then everyone would deserve less? I hardly see that as the way to go about things. Every team needs both leaders and followers. At the end of the day, the end result is what matters.
There was no group leader as decisions were done as a group with all the members present. I agree with every team having leaders and follows and the end result mattering the most. However, if a group member doesn't contribute anything to the end result and the remaining group members had to pull their weight in the end, I feel they shouldn't deserved perfect.
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:53 PM   #21
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Theoretically if a group member did submit poor work, then the mature thing to do would be to TELL that person.
Don't wait for the last minute, come together for group meetings and discuss.

That is my policy when I come into groups, and I usually make that clear. Communication is key.
For someone to mark someone down without letting them know the reason is ***** shit.

If you're gonna get a low mark, I'm going to let you know why. That way you can have time to change whatever you may or may not be doing.

edit: Though, honestly Desda, I think that once you get the marks back for your project, if you guys received a decent mark. Let your Prof. know, and show them your saved copies on your computer (unless you emailed it to them) in that case, show them your email.

Last edited by Cliu91 : 04-20-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2011 at 02:39 PM   #22
MSaleh

Liked: 8 Times

I gave a terrible group participation mark to 2 members of my 1st year psych project.
Group of 4, and 2 of them never showed up to class, to meetings, and didn't respond. They were ghosts. So my group member and I did it ourselves. We continued to email them what were planning on doing throughout the whole term though. Eventually, one person did email us back work. Until I looked at his reference and saw that he just copy pasted the discussion section. We told him too that this was plagiarized, and we waited a week but he didn't respond. So whatever.

I gave them both 0's. TA spoke to my group member and I, and both of them that never showed up got 0's on the project. I won't regret it. I kept trying to get a hold of them, and they never responded, or showed up. TA couldn't get a hold of them too.

However, this was the only time I did this.
They did NO WORK, they don't deserve the work my group mate and I did. We got a 98% on it, and if I didn't complain to the TA, they would have walked away with that mark with ZERO work.

For future group work though, I always give them a 10/10, as they always communicate, and do the tasks we assign to each other at the beginning. If they do their tasks, no reason to not get a 10. If you think it wasn't of the quality you wanted, speak to them and they can adjust it.

For you, Desda: Dr. Kim is actually quite understanding if you talk to him. If your TA / group members are being unfair, then talk to him.
But in no way am I letting people take credit for work they took no part in completing.

Last edited by MSaleh : 04-20-2011 at 02:45 PM.