MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unsure about program J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-08-2014 02:59 PM
Changing Timetable Tutorials autman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 08-09-2011 11:38 PM
Unsure about entering Multimedia! michaellucas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-26-2011 12:02 AM
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM

Unsure of Tutorials in my timetable

Old 08-17-2014 at 05:01 PM   #1
Neco

Liked: 1 Time

Unsure of Tutorials in my timetable
Hello! New here but thought to come here for advice instead of using Long distance calls over and over to try to get answers.

I understand the concept of Cores/C0#'s and the slots of classes that go beyond C01 and the like. Though I am still not 100% sure of what Tutorials uses are, what are they meant for and why do I have them? Are they mandatory and what's the difference of say, Biology 1P03 C01 - and Biology 1P03 T01 ? It, confuses me. Especially where it makes things a bit hectic where for instance on Wednesday it's telling me that I have Bio T01 at 11:30 to 12:20 at MDCL 1010 and then Bio C01 at 12:30 to 1:20 at CNH 104.

Fair to say, but 10 minutes may be pushing me on getting from one of those buildings to the next as I'm first year and do not know my way around yet. So I'd likely go to see if I can switch the Tutorial sessions. Though this is why I also ask for the importance of Tutorials and why they're here. Lab is obvious, Core is obvious, but not Tutorial to me D:

A detailed answer would be appreciated
Old 08-17-2014 at 05:17 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

The purpose of a tutorial, and whether or not it is mandatory, depends on the course. Usually it's smaller-group learning, with a TA. There may also be assignments and/or quizzes in the tutorial.
The core is your lecture. They're two separate things - if you're registered in a class that has tutorials, then you need to sign up for a core AND a tutorial (same thing with a lab, if the course has one). You need to register in a tutorial section even if they're not mandatory. You'll find out the details in the first class.

Ten minutes is plenty of time to get from MDCL to CNH. You should spend some time before classes learning where things are. Everyone is new to campus at some point, but it doesn't mean you can't have classes back-to-back. You can switch it to a different tutorial section on SOLAR if you wish, but there's really no need. Just take an hour and find all of the rooms where you have classes.

Neco says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 08-17-2014 at 05:28 PM   #3
Neco

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
The purpose of a tutorial, and whether or not it is mandatory, depends on the course. Usually it's smaller-group learning, with a TA. There may also be assignments and/or quizzes in the tutorial.
The core is your lecture. They're two separate things - if you're registered in a class that has tutorials, then you need to sign up for a core AND a tutorial (same thing with a lab, if the course has one). You need to register in a tutorial section even if they're not mandatory. You'll find out the details in the first class.

Ten minutes is plenty of time to get from MDCL to CNH. You should spend some time before classes learning where things are. Everyone is new to campus at some point, but it doesn't mean you can't have classes back-to-back. You can switch it to a different tutorial section on SOLAR if you wish, but there's really no need. Just take an hour and find all of the rooms where you have classes.
So, I'd be told what the point of having a Tutorial and a Core back-to-back for Biology on Wednesday? Although, classes begin on Thursday, so I'd have to wait til week 2 for that one.

If the Core is the Lecture, then you're saying the Tutorial is a variable, but other form of teaching for the program? Are they limited in terms of how many times you have to go to them or something? :l
Old 08-17-2014 at 05:44 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neco View Post
So, I'd be told what the point of having a Tutorial and a Core back-to-back for Biology on Wednesday? Although, classes begin on Thursday, so I'd have to wait til week 2 for that one.

If the Core is the Lecture, then you're saying the Tutorial is a variable, but other form of teaching for the program? Are they limited in terms of how many times you have to go to them or something? :l
You would go to your first bio lecture. For C01, lectures are Tues, Wed and Fri so your first lecture would be on the Friday - you don't need to wait until Wednesday. There, you'll find out what's up with the tutorials.
For some classes, you don't have to go to tutorials every week, but for others you do. Again, you'll find out in the first lecture.

I don't understand what you mean by wanting to find out what the point is of having them bakc-to-back. There's not really a "point" except that it works for your schedule.

Neco says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 08-17-2014 at 06:28 PM   #5
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Classes back-to-back are just something you'll have to deal with (every semester of every year). Your lectures (cores) will have 400-600 people in them and the professor will usually talk straight through for the fifty minutes you have in there. Tutorials are smaller, usually 15-40 students with a teaching assistant (grad student or upper year). This is your chance to learn more about assignments, do in-class discussions, and ask questions about the course material. In my experience these are either mandatory (you directly lose marks for missing a class) or essentially mandatory (good luck doing your assignments without them). Even if that's not the case for you I recommend going because TAs are the ones who mark the assignments and exams and it's only human to be a little more generous with students who you've seen put in an effort in class.

Ten minutes is more than enough time to get from MDCL to CNH. I've done it with my three year old in tow multiple times. I second the advice to take the time before classes start on Thursday to take your schedule and walk from one classroom/lecture hall to the next all over campus and figure out where everything is.

Neco says thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 08-17-2014 at 06:57 PM   #6
Neco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
Classes back-to-back are just something you'll have to deal with (every semester of every year). Your lectures (cores) will have 400-600 people in them and the professor will usually talk straight through for the fifty minutes you have in there. Tutorials are smaller, usually 15-40 students with a teaching assistant (grad student or upper year). This is your chance to learn more about assignments, do in-class discussions, and ask questions about the course material. In my experience these are either mandatory (you directly lose marks for missing a class) or essentially mandatory (good luck doing your assignments without them). Even if that's not the case for you I recommend going because TAs are the ones who mark the assignments and exams and it's only human to be a little more generous with students who you've seen put in an effort in class.

Ten minutes is more than enough time to get from MDCL to CNH. I've done it with my three year old in tow multiple times. I second the advice to take the time before classes start on Thursday to take your schedule and walk from one classroom/lecture hall to the next all over campus and figure out where everything is.
Alright, I understand it a bit more. The rest of it can be 'Go with the flow and find out' without worrying Thanks to the both of you.