MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
Transfer from college? Leibniz Introduce Yourself 2 09-08-2010 12:00 PM
College pro or 'action go' Sasha General Discussion 140 11-17-2009 09:45 PM
Power outlets and wi-fi in classrooms? hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-02-2009 09:03 PM

Update on College Pro Painters in classrooms

Hey all,

Last semester there was a thread on MacInsiders from students who were extremely annoyed that CollegePro representatives were taking up valuable class time trying to recruit students to a company that many see as exploitative of students.

I brought this concern to the Associate Vice-President (Academic) Peter Smith who in turn brought it to an Associate Deans Group meeting in December. Everyone seemed to be in agreeance that commercial entities should not be recruiting in class. The Associate Deans agreed to speak to instructors and ask that they not allow this to happen. There was some reluctance to send an email to all instructors as this is generally only done for matters of extreme urgence.

Dr. Smith and I were surprised to hear that this still seems to be happening. My suggestion would be to speak to the professor directly to express your displeasure, and/or send me an e-mail at [email protected] r.ca with the course code and professor so that I may follow up directly.

Thanks! I appreciate your help in addressing this.

Mary

Afzal, alh24, arathbon, bawb, danallan, Kathy2, Mahratta, Marlowe, Phoenix, Rakim, Serene, _Luu_, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to mkozi for this post.

Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-26-2011 at 01:47 PM   #2
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times
.I found an ad for a similar company under my door a few weeks ago in residence

Last edited by Awesomeness : 01-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Old 01-26-2011 at 01:48 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Theres another one of those 'make 10k$ over the summer' companies that came to my anatomy lecture a few weeks ago and was passing around a sheet to sign up... it wasn't called College Pro though, so I hesitated on vandalizing their sheet.

Toast likes this.

Old 01-26-2011 at 03:03 PM   #4
Joey

Liked: 17 Times
There was a note buying site that sent a rep into my film class on Monday. As far as I am concerned no non-school related announcements should be allowed in class.

Even if the company is a complete sham they gather contact information from students in the class to use how ever they want.

They do pay the reps though.....

Old 01-26-2011 at 05:14 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times
Isn't it a little too late to do anything once it's already happened? usually they don't come back to the same class twice. I think they should just be banned from the school altogether, considering the number of complaints.

Old 01-26-2011 at 06:01 PM   #6
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times
I saw the college pro guy at the start of my econ lecture, but the prof didn't show up so he left. I was planning on having some fun with his sheet.

Old 01-26-2011 at 06:05 PM   #7
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
Last time I saw one of those, I signed up Peter George.

Old 01-26-2011 at 06:11 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Oh, look at that. The MSU not being effective.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

danallan likes this.

Old 01-26-2011 at 06:45 PM   #9
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times
They always show up to MDCL 1305 lectures. Even if they don't give a presentation they still hand out the forms.

Old 01-26-2011 at 08:47 PM   #10
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Oh, look at that. The MSU not being effective.
Ah good, you're still here being asinine.

So, I suppose the MSU should send out it's police force to keep these people off campus? Or perhaps put detectors and shit outside classrooms so that only students can get in?

Who gives a ****. Have you people not heard about freedom of expression? It's the very same freedom that allows you all to sit here and go on spouting off whatever complaints you have. This ban on these groups is stupid. Who cares if they are a nuisance. That's all they are. Two minutes later and you're back doing the same shit you were before. Which is sitting on FB complaining about how boring class is.

Old 01-26-2011 at 08:50 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post

So, I suppose the MSU should send out it's police force to keep these people off campus? Or perhaps put detectors and shit outside classrooms so that only students can get in?

Who gives a ****. Have you people not heard about freedom of expression? It's the very same freedom that allows you all to sit here and go on spouting off whatever complaints you have. This ban on these groups is stupid. Who cares if they are a nuisance. That's all they are. Two minutes later and you're back doing the same shit you were before. Which is sitting on FB complaining about how boring class is.
QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ
qq

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-26-2011
alh24
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-26-2011 at 08:53 PM   #12
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post

... I have nothing to say, other than that I also enjoy Deadpool comics.

deadpool likes this.

Old 01-26-2011
deadpool
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-27-2011 at 10:48 AM   #13
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times
Question: How will this affect legit employers doing recruiting in classrooms? For instance, IBM likes to sometimes show up and talk about some recruiting event every year.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search