MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying textbooks from upper year students msms First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-12-2010 11:23 AM
Average for upper year students into residence AnnaWM Residence & Housing 10 06-12-2010 01:03 PM
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Academic Advice from the UPPER YEAR STUDENTS' is needed! ishk33 Academics 23 08-25-2009 09:23 PM
Help - getting a CA designation, any commerce students here? Kevin Academics 11 06-30-2009 03:08 PM

upper year Commerce Students help

Old 10-23-2010 at 06:47 PM   #1
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

upper year Commerce Students help
Im unsure as to how majors within the commerce department work and what courses i have to take to obtain these specializations. Im currently in second year and i would like to graduate with a specialization in both finance and accounting. What do i need to do to obtain both of these specializations and graduate in 2013. What courses should i take in the summer?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2010 at 06:53 PM   #2
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Talk to the academic advisor from the business faculty...?

edit/

Or wait for jhan523 to answer this.
Old 10-23-2010 at 06:56 PM   #3
Abyss

Liked: 1 Time

You just take whatever you want to focus in; there's is no "major" since everyone just gets a (H)Bachelor of Commerce. So if you want to focus in accounting/finance, just take as many of those courses as you want/can. ie. If you want accounting "major", take the 3rd and 4th year accouting courses, but you'll still only get the (H)B.Com.
Old 10-23-2010 at 07:00 PM   #4
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
You just take whatever you want to focus in; there's is no "major" since everyone just gets a (H)Bachelor of Commerce. So if you want to focus in accounting/finance, just take as many of those courses as you want/can. ie. If you want accounting "major", take the 3rd and 4th year accouting courses, but you'll still only get the (H)B.Com.
i get that but i want to be able to apply to both finance jobs and accounting jobs, so id assume that i need to have specializations in both.
Old 10-23-2010 at 07:06 PM   #5
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
i get that but i want to be able to apply to both finance jobs and accounting jobs, so id assume that i need to have specializations in both.
You don't do squat about the specializations; it's all based on what you take. On your resume, you just state your focus (your commerce electives) and that's it. The focus acts as the specializations. Just show them your transcript showing what you took as a majority of your electives if they want to know.

For let's say CA designation, you take the 3rd and 4th year accounting courses, some econ, finance and taxing and some other stuff on the ICAO site. If you want specifics, you'll need to know what designation you want to pursue. Other than that it's just a degree with a "focus".

In other words, if you want a true specialization, Mac was not a good choice.

Edit: and also, the employers don't care if you're specialized or not on the degree; they will know if you're fit for the job with your transcript and resume Just remember that they are looking for fully qualified prospectives and do not choose with just the major.

Last edited by Abyss : 10-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2010 at 07:16 PM   #6
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
You can't do squat about the specializations; it's all based on what you take. On your resume, you just state your focus (your commerce electives) and that's it. The focus acts as the specializations. Just show them your transcript showing what you took as a majority of your electives.

For let's say CA designation, you take the 3rd and 4th year accounting courses, some econ, finance and taxing and some other stuff on the ICAO site. If you want specifics, you'll need to know what designation you want to pursue. Other than that it's just a degree with a "focus".

In other words, if you want a specialization, Mac was not a good choice.

Edit: and also, the employers don't care if you're specialized or not on the degree; they will know if you're fit for the job with your transcript. Just remember that they are looking for fully qualified prospectives not just by the major.
Ok i guess ill take courses that allow me to apply both for a CA and a CFA. Also im curious how difficult it is to get an internship and how one should distinguish oneself from other candidates. I have a 10.9 average and all of my marks this term have been in the high 80s, low 90s except for accounting only got a 70 on the first mid term.
Old 10-23-2010 at 07:21 PM   #7
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Ok i guess ill take courses that allow me to apply both for a CA and a CFA. Also im curious how difficult it is to get an internship and how one should distinguish oneself from other candidates. I have a 10.9 average and all of my marks this term have been in the high 80s, low 90s except for accounting only got a 70 on the first mid term.
Just have to remember that marks isn't everything. You can get 12s but still not get the job because you don't present yourself well during the interview, can't "connect" with the interviewer or by not doing anything during undergrad.

Every employer will want a well-rounded student that can lead, work efficiently/effectively and can contribute value to the corporation. So you have to demonstrate that during university by being in leading roles in clubs, joining teams, volunteering, contributing to the community, etc.
Old 10-23-2010 at 07:24 PM   #8
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
Just have to remember that marks isn't everything. You can get 12s but still not get the job because you don't present yourself well during the interview, can't "connect" with the interviewer or by not doing anything during undergrad.

Every employer will want a well-rounded student that can lead, work efficiently/effectively and can contribute value to the corporation. So you have to demonstrate that during university by being in leading roles in clubs, joining teams, volunteering, contributing to the community, etc.
Awesome, the only thing im lacking in is the volunteering, ill start working on that this year.
Old 10-24-2010 at 04:05 PM   #9
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Finance AND Accounting? Totally unnecessary man, you'll want to kill yourself. Do accounting, and go for your CA or CFA. You'll cover all the bases and you can still come back for your MBA in Finance. Far better approach.
Old 10-24-2010 at 04:15 PM   #10
recyclebin12

Liked: 0 Times

If your pursuing an accounting designation, you will not have enough any left over courses to take any finance courses. Unfortunately you have to do one or the other.
Old 10-24-2010
healthsci1
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-24-2010 at 04:21 PM   #11
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Oh don't worry -- 2AA3 is a hard class. Wait until 2AB3, then make your decision. Getting a CA isn't difficult, just some courses and a test to get your designation. Talk to the advisor.
Old 10-24-2010 at 07:02 PM   #12
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

If you're interested in taking upper-year Finance and Accounting courses, what you want to do is take 'business electives' in those respected fields. In the Honors stream, you have to take 9 business elective credits 3rd year and another 9 in 4th year. This gives you 6 courses to choose from overall. These courses have to be 3rd or 4th year business courses that are not mandatory. You can take 4th year courses in 3rd year and vice versa.

Check out the course calendar, talk to upper-year students and profs, read the course outlines (Accounting and Finance), and then it all comes down to beating SOLAR!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer