MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First/Upper year residence MacStudent1 Residence & Housing 2 08-05-2010 12:42 PM
any upper years on the waitlist for res this year? macbaby07 Residence & Housing 0 04-29-2010 04:54 PM
Upper-Year Rez. Deposit dmzz Residence & Housing 5 01-30-2010 01:04 AM
Upper year residence smiles Residence & Housing 14 11-22-2009 01:13 PM
Upper-Year move in on Weekend? Allan Residence & Housing 12 07-29-2008 11:57 PM

Upper Year Move-in?

Old 08-22-2010 at 08:43 PM   #1
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Upper Year Move-in?
Okay, so what I know about upper year move-in is that it's on the 6th, starting at 10 am, unpack your own stuff.

I guess my main question is really about the atmosphere of the move-in. Is it going to be like move-out where there were people in lovely orange-coloured vests making sure you only parked outside your res for 15 minutes? Or is it a bit more lax...(i.e. sufficient time to get keys, and go back to your car and then start unloading).

If anyone can share their upper-year move in experiences, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-28-2010 at 10:56 AM   #2
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Okay, so what I know about upper year move-in is that it's on the 6th, starting at 10 am, unpack your own stuff.

I guess my main question is really about the atmosphere of the move-in. Is it going to be like move-out where there were people in lovely orange-coloured vests making sure you only parked outside your res for 15 minutes? Or is it a bit more lax...(i.e. sufficient time to get keys, and go back to your car and then start unloading).

If anyone can share their upper-year move in experiences, it would be greatly appreciated!
I thought it was more lax but the unloading was a bit of a hassle for me since I only had my mom to help me bring my stuff. :\ I don't remember seeing anyone supervising or anything though. As for parking I can't remember how that worked...I think we paid for parking because the only free parking (according to the Housing website) is Lot M. :\

etoilex3 says thanks to marieeeeeee for this post.
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:26 AM   #3
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Upper year move in will not have welcome week reps helping you move in as there were in first year. Basically you do the exact same process as first year but on your own without the guidance of where to go and what to do.
Old 08-28-2010 at 08:47 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Upper year move in will not have welcome week reps helping you move in as there were in first year. Basically you do the exact same process as first year but on your own without the guidance of where to go and what to do.
You can however pull up to your residence, or close enough anyways. But you can't park there for an extended period of time, pretty much just for unloading.

If you live in West Quad, you can get to the circle area, if you live in North Quad you can get in front of Edwards and LP (I think Hedden too), otherwise you have to park in front of Commons and unload there.

etoilex3 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-28-2010 at 09:17 PM   #5
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You can however pull up to your residence, or close enough anyways. But you can't park there for an extended period of time, pretty much just for unloading.

If you live in West Quad, you can get to the circle area, if you live in North Quad you can get in front of Edwards and LP (I think Hedden too), otherwise you have to park in front of Commons and unload there.
yeah, i'm in LP so that'll be good. after i unload myself, its not a big deal for my parents to go park in lot m or anything, but i guess the part i was concerned about is unloading.

thanks for the responses=)
Old 08-28-2010 at 10:54 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
yeah, i'm in LP so that'll be good. after i unload myself, its not a big deal for my parents to go park in lot m or anything, but i guess the part i was concerned about is unloading.

thanks for the responses=)
Yeah, lot M won't be free though. It's only free during the weekend. See if you can park at the Commons area, it's free but I think there is a time limit.
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:00 PM   #7
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, lot M won't be free though. It's only free during the weekend. See if you can park at the Commons area, it's free but I think there is a time limit.
From the housing website:

Quote:
Parking in Zone M (see campus map) will be free for Residence students from September 4 to September 6.
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:09 PM   #8
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I thought only first years get to live in residence and the upper years have to find a place off campus?
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:13 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
From the housing website:
Oh, I thought it was only the weekend. That's great then, it's nice to know they are accommodating for upper years too ^-^
Old 08-28-2010
jhan523
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-28-2010 at 11:40 PM   #10
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
I thought only first years get to live in residence and the upper years have to find a place off campus?
They reserve about 20% of housing for upper year students. This includes CA's, IRC and then just upper year students.

They have to be accommodating of upper year students because it's not really convenient for some students to go off campus after first year (For example, I'm from the US so for me to move furniture and such to a house would be quite the hassle.)
Old 08-29-2010 at 12:49 AM   #11
alyciag

Liked: 0 Times

Can upper years move in after sept 6th? or does it have to be on that day
Old 08-29-2010 at 01:12 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyciag View Post
Can upper years move in after sept 6th? or does it have to be on that day
Here's the information.

Quote:
Late move-in...
  • Students planning to arrive late must notify residence admissions prior to move-in weekend.
  • Students moving-in on or after September 10th must fill our a late-arrival-request form.
  • Students who fail to submit this form and do not arrive prior to the 10th will lose their residence space, and forfeit their deposit.
Source: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...ovein2010.html

Note: I didn't actually bold those words, I just copy and pasted everything.
Old 08-29-2010 at 01:16 AM   #13
alyciag

Liked: 0 Times

i wanted to move in on the 7th, since its before the 10th do you think thats fine?
Old 08-29-2010 at 10:47 AM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyciag View Post
i wanted to move in on the 7th, since its before the 10th do you think thats fine?
I think you should still notify them, you just don't have to go through the whole request form.