MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper Year Move-in? etoilex3 Residence & Housing 24 09-12-2010 12:00 PM
First/Upper year residence MacStudent1 Residence & Housing 2 08-05-2010 12:42 PM
Upper-Year Rez. Deposit dmzz Residence & Housing 5 01-30-2010 01:04 AM
Upper year residence smiles Residence & Housing 14 11-22-2009 01:13 PM
Residence as an upper year student bigmac General Discussion 6 01-29-2009 10:35 PM

Upper-Year move in on Weekend?

Old 07-06-2008 at 09:45 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Upper-Year move in on Weekend?
Are Upper-Years allowed to move-in during the 1st-Year move-in Weekend if we wanted to?
Old 07-06-2008 at 10:41 PM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

I think you'll need to submit a request to housing & conference services if you're an upper year and you want to move in early.

Old 07-06-2008 at 11:04 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I've never heard of anyone having to apply to move in during the first year move in. If you need to move in PRIOR to the first year move in then yes (internationals do this, and footballers too) but you should be able to move in during the first year move in.

Old 07-06-2008 at 11:19 PM   #4
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I have to disagree - don't count on being able to move in as an upper-year during the 2 first-year move in days. As someone who was on the frontline of move-in for 4 years, I can tell you that one of two things will happen - you'll either be told "no, come back on your assigned day", or you'll be waiting around a long time and have a lot of annoyed staff and WW reps who have to accomodate you when they have time (which is almost never).

You have to realize, move-in is a highly choreographed procedure - it wouldn't work any other way. They expect certain people to be moving in to certain buildings on certain days, and plan for those specific people to be coming (e.g., getting keys and paperwork ready for them). If you show up on a day not assigned to you, all bets are off. Depending on how gracious (or busy) the Residence Managers are feeling, you may or may not get accomodated, but they definitely won't be happy.

I would STRONGLY recommend contacting Housing ahead of time regarding this. If you want to move in early (with "early" being defined as "before the day you are supposed to"), you'll have to clear it with them, and you may have to pay an extra fee, too. Please don't just show up on a first-year move-in day and expect everything to go smoothly.

Allan says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 02:58 AM   #5
nikki12

Liked: 0 Times

U can move in 1-2 days before the date for the first year people.My room mate did.
Old 07-07-2008 at 08:14 AM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Maybe it was different for you Cippi, I was a rep too and I've had upper years moving in as well. When we came to their car they just told us they were upper years and that they would do it themselves. As to whether or not they had any problems getting their keys or anything to that effect I don't know but they certainly showed up and moved their own stuff in.

Allan says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 10:55 AM   #7
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

i know two of my roommates moved in early last year but that was b/c they were faculty reps, so they were given special permission. i am not sure if you can move in early just because you feel like it and want to. I would think asking housing is the best option.. it would suck if you just show up and can't move it. i'd play it safe.

Allan says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:21 AM   #8
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yes, of course faculty and WW reps, people on some athletic teams, and people with compelling reasons (like international students who have specific flight times) can move in early if they get permission. But the average upper-year student isn't supposed to do that unannounced. Some of them even have shown up on the day that the rest of the residence *isn't* moving in, and then get surprised when they aren't allowed to move into a building that is technically still closed. The frontline reps who move things out of cars aren't the ones who they'd run into trouble with - they basically just load and unload what they're asked to. Someone moving in on the wrong day can create headaches for the IRC who are managing traffic flow, the HPAs who are heading up the rep teams, the CAs who are getting students on their floors they didn't expect, the HAs who are doling out the keys and paperwork, and the RMs who have to be notified that someone who isn't supposed to be there is moving in.

Again, I'm not saying that it hasn't been done before, I'm just saying don't do it with a sense of entitlement - chances are you'll run into problems. If you need to move in early, I'd strongly suggest contacting Housing and going through official channels.

Allan says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-23-2008 at 09:53 PM   #9
lombard
Housing Assistant - Housing and Conference Services

for the upper year student who wants to move in early: if you would like a positive move-in experience, please move in on your assigned day. cippi has the most accurate answers to your question. re-read
Old 07-29-2008 at 02:47 PM   #10
hotjj

do upper years move their own boxes? if so, we don't need to label our stuff right?
Old 07-29-2008 at 03:02 PM   #11
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Yeah, Upper Years move their own boxes. Label it anyway, better be safe than sorry. You never know what could happen
Old 07-29-2008 at 04:14 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah I was going to say the exact same thing. Its better to label it just in case someone picks one of your boxes up thinking it belongs to a first year. At least that way it'll make it's way to your room.

Old 07-29-2008 at 11:57 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yes, you are responsible for moving in your own stuff.

It is a good idea to label it anyway...its still likely going to be hectic...and you never know what may happen.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement