MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper year residence applications Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 02-13-2011 05:00 PM
First/Upper year residence MacStudent1 Residence & Housing 2 08-05-2010 12:42 PM
Average for upper year students into residence AnnaWM Residence & Housing 10 06-12-2010 01:03 PM
Upper year residence smiles Residence & Housing 14 11-22-2009 01:13 PM
Residence as an upper year student bigmac General Discussion 6 01-29-2009 10:35 PM

Upper year stay in residence

Old 01-20-2015 at 07:01 AM   #1
maymagn

Liked: 0 Times

Upper year stay in residence
Hi. Any upper year apply and stay in residence? Do you think it is easy to get single room? can you choose building and roomate? Does anyone know any upper year students who applied to residence and ended up not getting a spot?? When do you know the result?
Old 01-20-2015 at 12:32 PM   #2
KAB:)

Liked: 11 Times

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/residence...pper_year.html

You don't get any better room-mate/ residence choice selection or any advantage in getting a single room than any first year would. I had a friend in first year who had a single room in keyes, but in second year he ended up in the top bunk of a triple room.

Guaranteed a spot if your average is >9.5. You can't apply if your average is <5, rest is a lottery to see if you get a spot.
Old 01-21-2015 at 01:03 PM   #3
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times

I lived in residence during first year, third year and again in fourth year. It is my understanding that 15% of beds are reserved for upper years and the majority of those are single rooms and rooms in apartment or suite style residences.

After you apply, there is a lottery. People who are given a spot during the lottery process need to maintain a 5 average to keep their spot. Those of whom do not get a spot during the lottery are guaranteed a spot regardless, as long as they can achieve a 9.5 average. This is how it has worked the past two years so I am assuming it hasn't changed.

You are asked to rank your choices, and the higher your average is, the more likely you are to get your desired room type. I learned this after I was worried that I wouldn't get a single room and asked the people in the Housing office. Even if your marks aren't great, as long as you're over the required average, you WILL get a spot- having good marks just helps ensure that you get the room type that you want. This is from personal experience but also from talking at length with people in the office. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-22-2015 at 02:23 AM   #4
maymagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbs View Post
I lived in residence during first year, third year and again in fourth year. It is my understanding that 15% of beds are reserved for upper years and the majority of those are single rooms and rooms in apartment or suite style residences.

After you apply, there is a lottery. People who are given a spot during the lottery process need to maintain a 5 average to keep their spot. Those of whom do not get a spot during the lottery are guaranteed a spot regardless, as long as they can achieve a 9.5 average. This is how it has worked the past two years so I am assuming it hasn't changed.

You are asked to rank your choices, and the higher your average is, the more likely you are to get your desired room type. I learned this after I was worried that I wouldn't get a single room and asked the people in the Housing office. Even if your marks aren't great, as long as you're over the required average, you WILL get a spot- having good marks just helps ensure that you get the room type that you want. This is from personal experience but also from talking at length with people in the office. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for you reply. Which building is the best for upper year? Can you choose roomate before you stay in Mary Key? When you can get notice which bulding and room you get it?
Old 01-22-2015 at 07:47 PM   #5
shelbs

I've enjoyed living in Les Prince, primarily because I suck at cooking and therefore don't see the benefit of living in Mary Keyes or Bates (I wouldn't use the kitchen and don't want to live with strangers). With that said, I *think* you can request a roommate to live with in Keyes but I'm not 100% sure and they would fill the remainder of the rooms with strangers (unless you request multiple people, but I don't even know if that is allowed). I think the biggest deciding factor for me would be whether or not you want access to a kitchen and common area on a regular basis (as opposed to sharing these facilities with people on your floor in LP) and whether you want to share that space with suite-mates. This doesn't appeal to me as I like having my own space and my own bathroom, so LP was the better option for me. You don't get to pick your building (same as first year) but if your marks are good and you request a single with bathroom, you are very likely to be placed in Les Prince, and if you request a Suite style and get your first choice, you are likely to be placed in Mary Keyes.

I think we found out in mid/late June the last two years.
Old 01-23-2015 at 02:51 AM   #6
maymagn

Quote:
I've enjoyed living in Les Prince, primarily because I suck at cooking and therefore don't see the benefit of living in Mary Keyes or Bates (I wouldn't use the kitchen and don't want to live with strangers). With that said, I *think* you can request a roommate to live with in Keyes but I'm not 100% sure and they would fill the remainder of the rooms with strangers (unless you request multiple people, but I don't even know if that is allowed). I think the biggest deciding factor for me would be whether or not you want access to a kitchen and common area on a regular basis (as opposed to sharing these facilities with people on your floor in LP) and whether you want to share that space with suite-mates. This doesn't appeal to me as I like having my own space and my own bathroom, so LP was the better option for me. You don't get to pick your building (same as first year) but if your marks are good and you request a single with bathroom, you are very likely to be placed in Les Prince, and if you request a Suite style and get your first choice, you are likely to be placed in Mary Keyes.

I think we found out in mid/late June the last two years.
Thanks .Did you stay out campus house for second year? Do you like it? Do you think it is to late to find out campus house if I do not get spot from lottery by March or I do not get residence room I want by June ? Les Prince is the best option . What minimal marks are need to get ? Do you have marks 9.5 to get it?
Old 01-23-2015 at 09:10 PM   #7
BilluRises

Liked: 3 Times

Living on campus as an upper year sucks, trust me
Old 01-23-2015 at 11:36 PM   #8
maymagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilluRises View Post
Living on campus as an upper year sucks, trust me
Why? Where is the best place ?
Old 01-25-2015 at 01:18 PM   #9
BilluRises

Liked: 3 Times

Just the environment, all these first year kids running around are straight out of highschool and just aren't mature enough to be around. Houses on forsyth are like $500 a month and the room is huge. Also there closer to mdcl/student center than any of the residence buildings.
Old 01-25-2015 at 08:35 PM   #10
shelbs

I didn't really have that problem with the first years. Ya, some of them are immature but I don't talk to them lol and they don't bother me. I lived off campus second year with some friends but we didn't make very good roommates and I didn't want to live with random people so I went back into residence. For me, I don't mind paying extra because of the convenience. I don't need to do any maintenance, food is here and the walk isn't bad. Some of the houses may be closer, but I wasn't willing to share a kitchen/bathroom/common areas with people I didn't know and some of the houses are gross (the ones I looked at after second year). At least the res buildings are clean, secure and relatively quiet. Its a good fit for me but probably wouldn't be for everyone.
Old 01-26-2015 at 04:35 AM   #11
maymagn

Quote:
I didn't really have that problem with the first years. Ya, some of them are immature but I don't talk to them lol and they don't bother me. I lived off campus second year with some friends but we didn't make very good roommates and I didn't want to live with random people so I went back into residence. For me, I don't mind paying extra because of the convenience. I don't need to do any maintenance, food is here and the walk isn't bad. Some of the houses may be closer, but I wasn't willing to share a kitchen/bathroom/common areas with people I didn't know and some of the houses are gross (the ones I looked at after second year). At least the res buildings are clean, secure and relatively quiet. Its a good fit for me but probably wouldn't be for everyone.

Les Prince is the best residence . What minimal marks are need to get LP ? Do you have marks 9.5 to get it?