MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Received Academic Probation! hellomac Academics 12 06-11-2011 02:20 AM
Academic Probation and academics phoenx2 Academics 12 12-22-2010 11:53 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM
Academic Probation for OSAP ali999 General Discussion 1 08-10-2009 10:49 AM

Urgent! Academic Probation

Old 08-03-2011 at 10:27 PM   #1
AYJECON

Liked: 0 Times

Urgent! Academic Probation
I finished my last term in McMaster. Unfortunately I received an email from the Faculty office as below:

I am writing because your term 2 deferred exam results are now coded to your student record.

As you were previously advised, this results in your not being eligible to graduate following courses in the Sept 10/April 2011 session, due to insufficient units and a cumulative average below what is required.

Therefore, your summer registration is being revised to indicate that your program is final year in the B.A. program, rather than "Continuing."

Unfortunately, due to the failure of the summer course, it is definite that your result after summer reviewing will be "May Not Continue."
The record has been sent for correction of the summer program, and once this is complete it will be necessary for the Faculty to cancel your registration in the fall courses because you are not eligible to continue.

If you would like to discuss the possibility of reinstatement for the fall session with an intent to register, then I advise that you follow up with the Faculty immediately, although it is now beyond the deadline to apply.

I am very worried about my situation. I have never been under academic probation before. Moreover, the summer course mentioned above was counted as 'Continuing' under my Grade Report. I even asked the lady in the Faculty of Social Science and she said that the summer course I took has NOTHING to do with my undergrad degree. Does this mean I am kicked out of McMaster? I guess my situation is a bit complicating because it was my last year.

Old 08-03-2011 at 10:35 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Did you graduate in June? If so, I wouldn't worry about your undergrad degree. It sounds like you took some extra courses after completing your degree, and those are the ones you have received low grades in. It's a little confusing though - I would drop in to the academic advisers for your faculty. If it's Soc Sci, they are Monday to Thursday, around 1:30-3:30pm.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:38 PM   #3
AYJECON

The thing is my GPA is now 3.3 and it was my last year. I am so worried.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:58 PM   #4
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

What i understand from your post is that you did not achieve the requisites to graduate, and that you may not come back to finish because your marks are not high enough. if you want to come back to mcmaster to finish your degree and graduate, you will have to apply for reinstatement. Unfortunately, in an email from the Associate Dean of Science, they do not accept reinstatement applications after the date usually, so you may have to wait until september 2012 to finish your degree
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:27 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Talk to an academic advisor asap! They'll be able to answer your questions fully.
Old 08-04-2011 at 12:14 AM   #6
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

It doesn't look like you're on academic probation, it looks like you got kicked out because of your grades. Like everyone said, talk to an academic advisor immediately!
Old 08-05-2011 at 12:12 AM   #7
meaningless?

Good luck!