MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
URGENT Commerce Capstone Advice Needed (4PA3) patso29 Academics 3 08-24-2013 08:59 AM
How hard is Physics 1B03? URGENT Advice? HiddenTruth Academics 7 05-10-2013 10:24 PM
Any advice on going about finding a web design job? CrashPlague Computers & Tech 16 11-02-2010 03:14 PM
Music 2F03...urgent advice needed!!!! mehtad5 Academics 1 06-18-2010 12:38 PM
Need advice on what to do with my low 1st year average (Urgent!) mcmastergcdb General Discussion 20 12-07-2009 05:54 PM

Urgent advice on quitting job

Old 07-22-2015 at 10:03 AM   #1
Tavia12

Liked: 0 Times

Urgent advice on quitting job
Hi. I was hired by Starbucks 2 weeks ago but I've come to realize that it's not for me. I feel really guilty for wanting to quit after all the training that they've invested in me. However, I'm constantly stressed out and I dread being at work. I didn't think I would hate it this much initially; rather I thought I would enjoy it since I'm a fan of Starbucks.

My question is, if I quit now (on bad terms?) and leave it off my resume, would future employers be able to find out about it (through my SIN card or something?). I know I'll
most likely be listed as non-rehirable at Starbucks but I don't plan on working there in the future. I'm also going into the health field so it's unrelated to the food/ service industry.

If you or someone you know was in a similar position, please let me know. I think it would be better for me to quit now than for them to invest even more time on me and I quit several weeks later.
Old 07-22-2015 at 11:15 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Don't you have a probationary period? During that time you're allowed to quit without even giving 2 weeks notice (and they can fire you with no notice/cause).

There are other factors that should be considered - for example, how much do you need a job, do you think you just don't like it because you're new and don't really know what you're doing yet, is it the people or is it the job, etc.

I don't think employers can look you up by your SIN number to see past jobs.

Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference - you need to weigh how much you hate the job vs how much you need the money vs your own opinions/values on quitting.
Old 07-22-2015 at 01:21 PM   #3
Tavia12

I haven't heard of a probationary period at Starbucks. And I don't need the money; I was just trying to find something to do so my main concern is whether quitting would affect my future employment.
Old 07-22-2015 at 02:55 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia12 View Post
I haven't heard of a probationary period at Starbucks. And I don't need the money; I was just trying to find something to do so my main concern is whether quitting would affect my future employment.
I've never heard of an official job (i.e. not something under-the-table like babysitting) that doesn't have a probationary period, so you should double check that. I'm not saying that they for sure have one, but it would be unusual if they don't.

Based on what you have described, it doesn't sound like it would affect your future employment other than having to lie on job applications or in interviews. It's unlikely this lie would be detected, but you never know. Of course, deciding to quit the job and deciding to omit it from applications that ask for all employment experience are two separate decisions. If you can come up with a good response to someone asking why you quit after a couple of weeks, then it shouldn't matter too much.
Old 07-22-2015 at 04:14 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Just explain that it only took 2 weeks for you to realize that Starbucks was ripping customers off, and that you didn't want to be a part of that process... You can twist in some technical jargon to describe these "lessons learned", baddabing baddaboom, you've turned a perceived "unreliability" into a positive aspect of your resume!
Old 07-22-2015 at 05:06 PM   #6
Tavia12

I was thinking of not disclosing it at all since an explanation might come off as an excuse. I mean, if I work in the health field, I highly doubt my employer would do a background check of me in the food/ service industry. But I'm not sure if I'm right about that though...
Old 07-22-2015 at 05:24 PM   #7
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
I was thinking of not disclosing it at all since an explanation might come off as an excuse. I mean, if I work in the health field, I highly doubt my employer would do a background check of me in the food/ service industry. But I'm not sure if I'm right about that though...
If you're going to the health field why would anyone care if your quit a fast food job? If for some reason they do, tell them it wasn't a good fit, make something up, its a fast food job, not a full time thing at some big firm. If you have other work expeirence, leave this one off your resume. Unless its a position requiring a complete background check it will probably never come up again.
Old 07-22-2015 at 05:34 PM   #8
Tavia12

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicebeaver View Post
If you're going to the health field why would anyone care if your quit a fast food job? If for some reason they do, tell them it wasn't a good fit, make something up, its a fast food job, not a full time thing at some big firm. If you have other work expeirence, leave this one off your resume. Unless its a position requiring a complete background check it will probably never come up again.
The main focus isn't about the type of job; but rather, it may give the impression that I'm unreliable (ie. a quitter).
Old 07-22-2015 at 08:04 PM   #9
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
The main focus isn't about the type of job; but rather, it may give the impression that I'm unreliable (ie. a quitter).
If you dont plan on including it in your resume you shouldn't be worried about coming off as unreliable since you would never be asked about it.

and no employer looks up your work history based on your SIN.
Old 07-22-2015 at 10:59 PM   #10
Menzies

Liked: 10 Times

I used to work in HR and we looked at a series of (not one, but several) short term jobs as someone who had difficulty sticking with a job - especially a pattern of short term jobs with unreasonable excuses for quitting (they didn't let me bring my dog to work; they asked me not to keep my cellphone on my desk but I was waiting for my friend to call about a party...).

Retail and service jobs like Starbucks are ones where high turnover is expected and finding out you are not a good fit during or after your training period is something that happens to many, many people, especially in the service industry. Your posts seem to imply that you think that people who don't stick to a job that they know is not a good fit makes them a quitter - that's a narrow way of looking at the world of work.

If you can afford to quit, you are in a lucky position. Give up the job and let someone who needs the money and is willing to do anything to make money have the position. Look for something you find rewarding, maybe in a volunteer position in the health care field. That's a better way to spend your time and will actually work towards helping you in your chosen field (and look good on your resume).
Old 07-23-2015 at 07:14 AM   #11
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

You are making a huge deal out of nothing here...
Old 07-24-2015 at 03:59 PM   #12
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

If you don't put it on your resume, no one will know that you did it. I am sure they will understand now after 2 weeks then after 10 weeks (which is still not a long time at a job) you quit when they put more time into you and if people are fighting for shifts then they may also appreciate you leaving when you don't want to be there.