MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music 2F03...urgent advice needed!!!! mehtad5 Academics 1 06-18-2010 12:38 PM
Average for upper year students into residence AnnaWM Residence & Housing 10 06-12-2010 01:03 PM
Average for 3rd year njd123 Academics 6 05-30-2010 05:50 PM
continue to 3rd year average maryam17 Academics 1 05-01-2010 04:44 PM
Urgent! 2nd year courses question ... EngLufLuf General Discussion 8 06-29-2009 12:33 AM

Need advice on what to do with my low 1st year average (Urgent!)

Old 12-05-2009 at 12:49 PM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Need advice on what to do with my low 1st year average (Urgent!)
Hi, i am in life science I and doing very badly in Chemistry 1A03. There is a very possibility that i will fail it. I was thinking of dropping it in November, but i didn't because i was not gonna get any money in return. So i just dragged it through this semester.

Right now, I think i will end up getting around 70-80% in my other courses, but not chem. Do you think i will get kicked out of the University for failing Chem 1A03. Please advice me on what to do in this hateful situation.

I have also chosen 1AA3 chem in second semester, which obviously i will not be allowed to take it. So can you please also tell me 2 good electives that i should take to raise my average because i am also thinking of dropping 1AA3 math. My electives for next semester are psych 1xx3, 1AA3 and micro economics (1b03?).

I wanted to get into Honours biology. I don't think its possible anymore... I m really disappointed in myself because i thought i was smarter than this. Maybe its because this was my first semester. I hope i will do better in next semester.

Has anyone else been in this situation before or no? Also, for GPA thing, when you wanna go to graduate school, do Universities look at your last two years' GPA like high school or a cumulative one .

p.s. I don't want to re-frosh, but want to carry on with my studies and try to get into honors biology in level III, if not II.

My main questions are:

1) Will they kick me out of the University if i fail Chem 1A03.
2) If i take chem 1A03 in summer, will they objections from letting me into 2nd year?
3) Can you get into honors biology (physiology Specialization) in third year, if you couldn't get the admission in first year?
4) When does the University let you know that you have been granted admission in your level II course?
5) 2 good electives to replace chem 1AA3 and math 1AA3.

I sincerely, thank you all for your support and help!
Old 12-05-2009 at 12:58 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
My main questions are:

2) If i take chem 1A03 in summer, will they objections from letting me into 2nd year?
3) Can you get into honors biology (physiology Specialization) in third year, if you couldn't get the admission in first year?
4) When does the University let you know that you have been granted admission in your level II course?

1) No; only if your cumulative average is lower that whatever is required to stay in life science.

2) No, you should be able to get into second year fine if you pass first year chem during the summer.

3) I'm not sure; I'll let one of the life science people answer that.

4) I can't remember exactly, but I think it's around June.

5) I'd recommend taking something you actually find interesting, and not something that people just say is easy. I unfortunately don't really know much about electives offered in second semester. If you really want to boost your average though, and you've taken physics in highschool, but not 1B03; then perhaps you should try taking 1L03. I've heard the majority of the class tend to get A's.

Good luck, and don't stress out too much about it right now. It can mess you up for other exams.
Old 12-05-2009 at 01:12 PM   #3
JasonMcGuirk

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:

My main questions are:

1 - They will not kick you out of university for failing a course. I also did not do too well in chem 1A03 (I got a 4). I'm now in third year honours life sci and everything is working out fine. Chem 1A03 is a distant memory lol

2 - They will not stop you from entering 2nd year for failing chem 1A03. You may not be able to enter honours biology in your second year as chem 1A03 is a requirement. Although, I'm sure if you get the credits for both chem 1A03/1AA3 in the summer you can switch into honours bio come September of your second year.

3 - You can enroll in honours life sci temporarily in your second year and shadow the bio program if you cannot get into honours bio (second year). Seeing as the physiology specialization starts in third year it doesn't really matter what program you are in before it as long as you fulfill the course requirements.

See course requirements: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1543.html

4 - I think second year program selection begins in March and they let you know some time during the summer which ones you've been accepted to. Soon after grade release in May I believe.

5 - You don't need Math 1AA3 to get into honours bio. Did you take first year psych or you could try some anthro or enviromental sci courses.

I hope this response helps. I just wanted to say something to ease your mind. I'm certain another student can be more helpful

I'm sure you'll pass chem 1A03. Good luck!

Sean
Old 12-05-2009 at 02:51 PM   #4
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

I don't know any answers to your questions but I just want to tell you that I'm also in first year Life Sci and I'm doing horrible in Chem 1A03 as well! I really hope I pass. So you're not alone, just keep at it and hope you ace your exams. I'm trying to be as optimistic as I can right now because there's really nothing better I could do right now.

Oh, and I've heard the Micro Economics and Enviro Sci are easy electives. I would suggest looking into that.

Good luck with everything!
Old 12-05-2009 at 03:10 PM   #5
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
I wanted to get into Honours biology. I don't think its possible anymore... I m really disappointed in myself because i thought i was smarter than this. Maybe its because this was my first semester. I hope i will do better in next semester.

Has anyone else been in this situation before or no? Also, for GPA thing, when you wanna go to graduate school, do Universities look at your last two years' GPA like high school or a cumulative one .
Sean and Dillon pretty much answered your main questions. I just want to address this part of your post. First year is hard. University is such a big change from high school and it takes a while to get use to everything. You made some mistakes in first term and didn’t do as well as expected - it’s no big deal. Everyone has been there. Now you can learn from your mistakes and improve next term! Trust me, most, if not all, students have been in your situation.

It is still possible to get into the Honours Biology program. I did horrible in Chem 1A03 and Chem 1AA3 last year, but I was accepted into the program. As long as you do well in your biology courses, and meet the requirements (which would mean taking Chem 1A03/1AA3 during summer school), you will be fine!

In regards to grad schools and GPA, it completely depends on what graduate program/school you wish to enter. I believe most universities only look at the last two years, but some will look at all four years.

Anyways, I wish you all the best on your exams!!
Old 12-05-2009 at 03:13 PM   #6
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:

My main questions are:

Hi, I'm in the honours biology physiology specialization right now in second year
umm i didnt do too well in chem 1a03 as well but pulled through and got a B in chem 1aa3

3) i heard from one of the ladies last year when i went to the 2nd year fair, if you dont get into the program you want to.. just go into the default one.. where they give you TONS of electives and just shadow the courses in the program you WANT to get into so when you apply the next year (which you'll prolly get in as she said) you wont be behind in any required courses .. here http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_496.htm

4) the university lets you know around june-july through mugsi i think

5) i personally found chem 1aa3 easier and more interesting (i had valiant, good prof btw, worth wakign up 830 for) and i also took math 1aa3 which i also found to be easier than math 1a03.. if u do take math 1aa3, just make sure you do all the recommended problems and i guarentee a very good mark

environemntal sciences are interesting and easy courses, i took envir sci 1g03 and found that it was extremely easy (as long as you go to class) and wasnt too boring.. i heard envir sci 1a03 isnt bad either

and..make sure you take physics 1b03 .. thats needed in the physiology specialization

hope i was of some help... =)
good luck
Old 12-05-2009 at 05:58 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Don't fail!!! Study, come on. You can pass with a 1 or 2, even that's better than failing. Just take some easy elective like econ or something next semester to even out your marks. Quitting doesn't help anyone, you gotta work harder!
Old 12-05-2009 at 07:29 PM   #8
kute_lisa88

Liked: 0 Times

Just quit school while you can!! Honestly, if you're getting those kinds of grades in first year, i can't imagine how you will do in ur third and fourth years.

I suggest u look into other programs that you might be interested in and have an aptitude for. Science is not for the faint of heart and if you're in life science just to be a doctor, you should not be in this program.
Old 12-05-2009 at 08:50 PM   #9
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

i definately agree with whats been said before. Every one has a hard time in first year chem. I remember spending 70% of my time studying chem and 30% studying all the other courses. And even then, I didnt do so well on the first one and average on the second one).

Just study, study, study and try NOT to fail it. Its NOT going to be fun repeating it and I think you need to pass 1A03 to take 1AA3 (could be wrong thou).

Good luck on your exam.
Old 12-06-2009 at 01:43 AM   #10
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

i struggled in that course to.. i don't know why they make soooooooooooo hard... just try your best.. you can retake it in summer and its way better then.
Old 12-06-2009 at 02:30 AM   #11
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kute_lisa88 View Post
Just quit school while you can!! Honestly, if you're getting those kinds of grades in first year, i can't imagine how you will do in ur third and fourth years.
Seriously?
Old 12-06-2009 at 04:50 AM   #12
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:

I suggest u look into other programs that you might be interested in and have an aptitude for. Science is not for the faint of heart and if you're in life science just to be a doctor, you should not be in this program.
I'm really disappointed to read a post like this, especially to a first year. It may not have been your intention to do so but that's definitely what it appears to be. Everyone else is offering words of encouragement yet here you are offering words of discouragement...Not cool at all!

Anyway, as others have mentioned, don't worry too much about not doing too well on Chem 1A03. It is indeed a fact that quite a number of students struggle with the course. Not only that but there's a good number of students that end up struggling in first year. I struggled last year in the Life Science program so I know what it feels like. Some students may find the whole transition difficult or may encounter other obstacles in their first year resulting in poor grades. I had health issues and distractions in my life last year that did not allow me to perform to the best of my abilities.

Next time if you feel like you're struggling with a course, don't hesitate to drop by your prof's office during their office hours. I would also advise you to schedule an appointment with an academic adviser as soon as possible and to do so in the future if you are having any trouble. The best academic adviser there from my experience is Robyn. You can request to book an appointment with her. She is really nice, honest and sympathizes with first year students.

Right now all I can really tell you is to study hard for exams and try to pull off a passing grade. As others have also mentioned, you can always take the course again in the summer. If that works out, you should be able to switch into Honours Biology in September. If that doesn't work out, then shadow the program by taking courses that a student in Honours Biology would be taking. If you are having difficulties getting into courses then contact the departments and explain to them that you want to shadow the Honours Biology program. In most cases they will say yes unless they're really tight on capacity. Once you have all those courses done in second year, talk to an academic adviser again and you should be able to continue in third year Honours Biology in the following year.

As for the courses that you should take, always take courses that you find interesting. Sometimes students decide to take "easy courses" and they don't find themselves really into the material and may end up doing bad. Generally taking courses you're interested in will result in better performance than course you're not as interested in. It's because you end up putting more effort into these courses since you enjoy them. Also make sure you look at course outlines ahead of time and check out the course reviews on MacInsiders (link: http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98 ). Also try to determine your strengths and weaknesses and take courses accordingly. If you feel that you're strong at writing essays, then take a humanities course, perhaps a course like English. If you feel that some of your strengths are reading and memorizing, then perhaps some Science course, etc. Try to stay away from courses with material that you feel you wouldn't be as strong going through. Every person has their strengths and weaknesses. People tend to excel at things they are strong at. Figure out your strengths and take courses that you can apply these strengths to.

Finally, I would like to restate my previous points regarding help on campus. If you feel that you are having trouble at any time in the future, there are lots of resources offered that can be very helpful. You can go talk to your prof/TA during their office hours and seek help. You can also book an appointment with an academic adviser for guidance and any course/program related issues you are having. CSD (Centre for Student Development) which is located in the basement of the student centre also offers success, stress, time management tips and advice. There are also lots of upper years that have gone through similar experiences in their first year. They can definitely help you, whether they are Welcome Week reps, Community Advisors or users on MacInsiders. In conclusion, you will always find help on campus so don't be afraid to go and ask!

A lot of these points are probably repetitive but I wanted to offer my two cents. If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or private message me. I hope everything goes well for you and good luck on your exams. Continue the battle 'til the end!

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-06-2009 at 08:28 AM   #13
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:

Doing poorly in first year isn't really an indication of how you'll do in upper years. First year sucks for a lot of people (grade wise). Personally, I'm enjoying my courses second year far more than I did first year and I'm also doing a lot better than first year. First year chem is pretty hard so don't beat yourself up over it. Just try and pass A03 and take Chem 1AA3 over the summer if you don't think you can pass it next semester.
Old 12-06-2009 at 09:38 AM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:

You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about. First year is no indication at all as to how a person will perform in the next three or four years of their schooling. First year is tough for a lot of people, and not because of the material.

xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 12-06-2009 at 11:47 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

Something doesn't sit right with this post...the user's join date is November 2006, their profile says they're in first year (obviously untrue), and they only have 2 posts...one of which didn't occur until 2007, and the other, completely random, is spreading a bad message.

Take home point: Ignore it...stirring up trouble is fun sometimes. Ben (Taunton) is in Life Sci, take his words over this person's.

xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.