URGENT!! Summer school help rmfldkdtm Academics 6 05-03-2011 12:33 PM
Summer school - URGENT question mandee08 Academics 1 05-02-2011 07:13 PM
medical school!! ishk33 Academics 13 07-30-2009 09:42 AM
medical school req Avenger Academics 2 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

URGENT! Course Selection Medical School

Old 06-13-2012 at 01:28 PM   #16
rsakura

Liked: 1 Time

are any future first year students thinking of doing MATH 1B03...its a recommended course for biochem....im not sure whether to do it during first year or during the summer. :(
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:32 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsakura View Post
are any future first year students thinking of doing MATH 1B03...its a recommended course for biochem....im not sure whether to do it during first year or during the summer. :(
A lot of first year life sci students take Math 1B03. It doesn't matter when you take it, especially if it's not required for the program you intend on applying for in 2nd year. If you have enough room for it to be an elective during the year, take it then, if you prefer to do summer school, then do that. It's really up to your preference
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:33 PM   #18
rsakura

one of the u of t medical school requirements is a humanities or social sciences course...if psychology is considered "life science" at u of t, but a "social science" course at mcmaster, could i count it as one of my social science courses for medical school?
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:35 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
one of the u of t medical school requirements is a humanities or social sciences course...if psychology is considered "life science" at u of t, but a "social science" course at mcmaster, could i count it as one of my social science courses for medical school?
Your best bet would be to ask directly at the source and contact U of T directly.
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:37 PM   #20
rsakura

thank you for your replies
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:40 PM   #21
peace

Quote:
All Psychology courses taken at the University of Toronto are taught as Life Sciences; however, some universities classify Psychology as a Social Science. You must check with the university you attended. The Office of Admissions will accept their evaluation of their own course.
When I emailed the psych. advisor, she said courses like psych 2b03 can be treated as either a soc sci or a science. Therefore taking a psychology course would fulfill the social sci/humanity requirement for U of T med skool
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:42 PM   #22
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
They say it's recommended, but they say that about many courses for other programs too. I don't know any biochem students or ones entering biochem who took Math 1B03. The majority of kids I know who took it are going in chem or physics or were in physical science and just taking it because it said so.
Old 06-13-2012 at 03:45 PM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, you'll be just fine in biochem without math 1B03. Having it won't help you get into the program at all.

Most universities will allow first year psych to satisfy social science prerequisites. UofT does for pharmacy, if you look at the website for med, and actually read it carefully, it should tell you as well.