MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
URGENT! Help with reinstatement Form (Program code) lifesciman1 Academics 1 06-28-2012 09:17 AM
Any Suggestions With Reinstatement Please? jawwadmq Academics 7 03-04-2012 07:39 PM
Headphone Suggestions? MichaelScarn Computers & Tech 19 01-07-2012 03:03 AM
Advice/Suggestions ? L'Étoile Academics 28 06-01-2011 03:11 PM

Urgent Suggestions for a program

Old 11-10-2012 at 01:33 PM   #1
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

Urgent Suggestions for a program
Hey all

I need some help in planning some activities for high school students that might be interested in coming to university. So far we have given them university tour we are planning to give them a tour of the gym and we are also trying to plan a trip to planetarium.

I am stuck at this point so I thought that i should post it here.

Thank You

bernas3 likes this.
Old 11-10-2012 at 01:45 PM   #2
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

take them to DBAC
tell this this is where sheets of paper will engage them in violent acts of non-consensual **** intercourse

oh yeah we also have laboratories in ABB/BSB/JHE/ITB/MDCL and other buildings that'd be cool to check out

Amaryll, jim1, Snowman like this.
Old 11-10-2012 at 03:24 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

What are they interested in? What grade are they in?

Don't plan activities they won't like. If it's a non-specific group, that is going to be difficult too.

Malka says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 11-10-2012 at 03:45 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

You should group them by faculty and let them explore their interests in certain faculties

Malka says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 11-10-2012 at 05:04 PM   #5
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

bring them to the tandem accelerator

Malka says thanks to fusionorchid for this post.
Old 11-10-2012 at 07:35 PM   #6
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionorchid View Post
bring them to the tandem accelerator
Right, bring a horde of loud unorganized teenagers to a device that is more expensive than any of us here put together.

Some one said it, you have to divide them first,then win them by showing something cool that they might participate in if the choose the program/school. Like show them some science or engineering project or whatnot. And never, never, mention the amounts of math stress they have to go through.

Malka says thanks to AngryBean for this post.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 11-10-2012 at 08:11 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@Bean I actually overheard an elec/computer/software eng complaining how random highschoolers/uni visitors got to try out or even be in the accelerator before they, the engineers, who had to work till like a master's to even get near it lols
Old 11-10-2012 at 08:19 PM   #8
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
@Bean I actually overheard an elec/computer/software eng complaining how random highschoolers/uni visitors got to try out or even be in the accelerator before they, the engineers, who had to work till like a master's to even get near it lols
im in computer engineering
Old 11-10-2012 at 08:40 PM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I still havent seen it. tried to sign up once :(
Old 11-10-2012 at 08:41 PM   #10
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Nah, who needs that large junk... that makes particles collide and near speed of light... causing them to go boom, with unbelievable amounts of energy being released... I'm totally not jealous of people who get to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
im in computer engineering
Old 11-10-2012 at 09:53 PM   #11
Malka

well its grade 12 students from hamilton schools who are doing a program with McMaster under the faculty of Social Sciences. They will receive a high school credit and a University credit. Our job is to motivate these kids to attend university.
Old 11-10-2012 at 10:17 PM   #12
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

For the students interested in science/engineering, the nuclear reactor does tours for a variety of groups & age levels although you need a parent signatures for those under 18. I've been to the reactor and it's pretty cool to see

http://mnr.mcmaster.ca/index.php/ove...tor-tours.html

Malka says thanks to rkb12 for this post.
Old 11-11-2012 at 07:52 AM   #13
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Maybe talk to the Kinesiology department to see if you can get your hands on a cadaver lab.

Malka says thanks to kaitotst for this post.
Old 11-11-2012 at 10:00 AM   #14
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitotst View Post
Maybe talk to the Kinesiology department to see if you can get your hands on a cadaver lab.
Health sci also has cadavers...but I think they generally don't go showing off the cadavers just for kicks. You're supposed to show respect for them, like you would for any dead person...think of them as people and not objects.

Either way, you said this is a social science course and nearly all of the suggestions have been science/engineering related...what exactly is the credit that they're getting? It might help focus the suggestions.
Old 11-11-2012 at 11:25 AM   #15
Malka

It is offered through social science program but all the students have different interests and I personally think that it is a good idea if we try to expose to all programs in university so that if some of them are not sure yet what to apply in they can get a taste of each program to make there decision.