MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vacation adrianj03 General Discussion 3 08-05-2010 11:42 AM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Vacation and SOLAR goodnews.inc Academics 5 05-16-2009 12:44 AM
McWork Vacation Time? jo87 General Discussion 5 04-15-2009 12:47 PM

Vacation Help with School

Old 04-20-2010 at 08:38 PM   #1
minikit99

Liked: 0 Times

Vacation Help with School
I have a feeling the answer to my question is no regardless of anything, but do you know if I can somehow get March break off from school (for next year- i.e. being able to write midterms early or anything?)

also, if anyone is in second year commerce, is there a lot of projects and midterms around March 14-18?

I would like to go on a trip during this time and I would have to start making payments ASAP...

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Stephen
Old 04-20-2010 at 08:40 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Is it for an academic reason like attending a conference?

Since you have to go through your Associate Dean's office, I would say no. Send them an e-mail.
Old 04-20-2010 at 08:45 PM   #3
minikit99

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah okay that's what I thought... can any 2ND year commerce student comment on how much there is? (yes it is a given that it could change from this to next year)
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:01 PM   #4
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Even if you have a midterm just find a doctor who will write a note for you. Not like you do that much in a week.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:00 PM   #5
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

You mean take High School March Break? I dont think theres anyway of knowing in advance. I wanted to do the same thing this year (tag along on a family trip), I only had one midterm that week, the prof was willing to defer it for me, but I decided not to go because I was going to be missing 2 labs, and have to work on about 4 assignments while on the trip. It just wasnt a good week for me. So to take a major trip that you need to start making payments on now... it would be best to make that during reading week, cause you're guaranteed that works.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:10 PM   #6
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
You mean take High School March Break? I dont think theres anyway of knowing in advance. I wanted to do the same thing this year (tag along on a family trip), I only had one midterm that week, the prof was willing to defer it for me, but I decided not to go because I was going to be missing 2 labs, and have to work on about 4 assignments while on the trip. It just wasnt a good week for me. So to take a major trip that you need to start making payments on now... it would be best to make that during reading week, cause you're guaranteed that works.
It would likely be easier to get highschool friends to take a week off in February.
Certainly they would be missing a LOT less.
I can't comment on Commerce stuff, but usually, you'll end up sacrificing some super important notes, a lab or two and have a midterm moved.
Profs are generally not too bad about moving midterms around something like March break if you can give them enough reason (lead a trip for HS students?)

All-in-all, you'll just have to weigh the general pros and cons of the standard class material you would be missing (and of doing work on your trip).

I hope someone in Commerce is able to get back to you on that.
It's unfortunate you would have to start paying into it now though, because ultimately you won't know anything until at least January.

danallan likes this.
Old 04-21-2010 at 12:07 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yeeeah I'm of the opinion that you're better off to let this vacation pass you by...it's unlikely that any week of March is going to be free of a deadline, due date or midterm of some sort.

It's a huge gamble, in my opinion. Not only for regular course work, but assuming the prof will let you defer.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-21-2010 at 12:07 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

As everyone has stated, March is usually the most hectic time of year...so it's probably a bad idea.

And (also previously stated), if it has anything to do with highschool students... It'd probably be easier for highschool students to take time off than for you to...so maybe you should suggest tailoring it around your reading week, if possible?
Old 04-21-2010 at 01:55 PM   #9
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikit99 View Post
also, if anyone is in second year commerce, is there a lot of projects and midterms around March 14-18?
There's a good chance you might have a midterm on Friday evening or Saturday morning. That's just how it is in Commerce.
Old 04-21-2010 at 02:13 PM   #10
kvdz

Liked: 2 Times

This year we had Accounting on March 5, Finance on March 12 and an HR assignment on March 12. I don't know how much that helps but it will depend on when we start next year and also what electives you are taking. Personally, it seems like a pretty big gamble if you don't have a legitimate reason that would allow you to defer.
Old 04-22-2010 at 11:41 AM   #11
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

If you really want to take a vacation, you're best best it to go early in the week (like Sunday - Wednesday), because like I've already said, there's a high chance there will be a midterm/assignment at the end of the week.