Vancover Olympics
Anyone else excited?

I can't wait!

GO CANADA GO!
Old 02-11-2010 at 12:16 AM   #2
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Totally!
After four years of training, I hope our athletes will shine!
Old 02-11-2010 at 12:19 AM   #3
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Pumped. The Olympics are my all time favorite sporting event. Way better then Stanley cup playoffs or superbowl.

KayakerDan, KRan, Quester like this.
Old 02-11-2010 at 12:39 AM   #4
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

I'll be watching as much coverage as possible!
Old 02-11-2010 at 08:23 AM   #5
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

It's a good thing reading week is next week otherwise I don't know how I would be able to concentrate.
Old 02-11-2010 at 06:19 PM   #6
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Yeh!

Its going to be so awesome.

I'll have to keep up and study for my midterm which i have the first day i come back.
Old 02-12-2010 at 10:20 AM   #7
adias

Liked: 1 Time

I spent my early tutorial getting all caught up on my skiers
Old 02-12-2010 at 10:40 AM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I'm watching the torch make its way to the finish line.

It just rode on a Zamboni, so Canadian.

I'm super pumped, especially for the hockey. Women tomorrow night at 8, men Tuesday night.

I'm working tonight so I'm going to miss the beginning of the opening ceremony which is irritating, I really wanted to watch the whole thing. I'll miss the first hour which is presumably the parade of athletes from all over the world. Does anyone remember how long that generally goes on for, I'd love to make it home in time to see Canada march in last, with Clara Hughes carrying the flag and all that goodness.
Old 02-12-2010 at 01:44 PM   #9
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

At the rehearsal on Wednesday, the parade of athletes ended just over an hour into the show, so its quite possible you could make it home to see Canada walk in .

There was some content before the parade that was excellent, so hopefully you can see it on a replay or something.
Old 02-12-2010 at 02:04 PM   #10
melchizedek

Liked: 35 Times

too bad pretty much everyone in vancouver hates the olympics...just got this email from my north van friend...

"Let the mayhem begin... just saw the torch run by my office, haha. Went down to street level and heard "get the f*** out of our neighborhood!"
Awesome!
Took a couple photos, my fav is the one with the torch bearer, 10 security 'olympic special agent' guys and a protester with a sign on his back that read 'f*** you and your f***ing olympics'... classic. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Oh and then some homeless guy told me I was tweaking out and that he f***ing loves me man.
Awesome!
I'm going to go downtown tonight and just throw myself in this shit pile and most likely for the rest of the month. There's so much going on here you really can't blink or you'll miss it. Oh did I mention Usher's going to be playing at the awards ceremony? Because he is! Nothing says Canada quite like a rendition of "Yeah"
Awesome!

Seriously though, wish you were here to enjoy some of this craziness. I'm thinking of leaving a microwave in a duffel bag by BC place and watching the news at 11:00pm to see what happens.
Old 02-12-2010 at 03:46 PM   #11
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Tonight at 8!
TSN and Sportsnet!

I can't wait. Who do you think will light the torch? I think its going to be someone from the Terry Fox family.
Old 02-12-2010 at 04:35 PM   #12
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili died following a crash at the Whistler Sliding Centre on Friday, the International Olympic Committee announced.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/skeleton/n...l?cid =rssrsn

A very tragic accident. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, teammates, and fellow lugers.

Not a good way to start the Olympics...

At this time, with such a tragic accident occurring right before the opening ceremony, I don't think it really matters but...

I would love to see Betty Fox (Terry Fox's mother) light the Olympic flame. It would symbolize the end of Terry's run, which would be awesome. However, I have a feeling it'll be Wayne Gretzky. I wouldn't mind The Great One lighting the flame. He is after all the greatest hockey player EVER, and hockey is our game.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Just a few more hours left...

Last edited by Jake : 02-12-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2010 at 12:44 AM   #13
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I did indeed make it home just in time to see Canada march in. I got home just when Slovakia was coming in.
Old 02-13-2010 at 10:37 AM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The opening ceremonies were good (I liked the whales). But it made it seem like our entire culture is Aboriginal-only. I understand having First Nations groups at the ceremonies, I'm not complaining about that. But it felt like the ceremonies were centred around them and not much else was showcased.

I liked when that guy was saying his poem, he said something like "Canadians say please and thank you" and everyone cheered like crazy! I love that we are excited about being polite, haha.
Old 02-13-2010 at 11:17 AM   #15
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
The opening ceremonies were good (I liked the whales). But it made it seem like our entire culture is Aboriginal-only. I understand having First Nations groups at the ceremonies, I'm not complaining about that. But it felt like the ceremonies were centred around them and not much else was showcased.

I liked when that guy was saying his poem, he said something like "Canadians say please and thank you" and everyone cheered like crazy! I love that we are excited about being polite, haha.
I actually didn't get that it was saying we were all first nations cultures. Yes they played a big role, and that's because the first nations cultures we have in our country help make us unique (and plus it probably played a role in avoiding native protests large enough to render the games unfeasible).

I like how at least for the indoor flame it was multiple people lighting the flame. It gave a sort of coming together fellowship kind of idea.

I was surprised Nancy Greene was a torch bearer now that she's technically a conservative politician, but then again they had Romeo Dallaire as a flag bearer so I guess they decided to not count senators as politicians.