MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Lost recorder! resh.jyoti General Discussion 6 02-10-2011 04:56 PM
Recorder? ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-18-2010 11:11 PM
MSU - Let Your Voice Be Heard McIntyre General Discussion 37 07-15-2008 11:21 AM
Have Your Voice Heard Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-29-2007 07:04 AM

voice recorder

Old 07-18-2011 at 08:00 PM   #1
alittlelamb

Liked: 0 Times

voice recorder
Are there any types of voice-recorders upper years would recommend?
Old 07-18-2011 at 08:02 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

any sony recorder would be good, ipod touch/iphone voice memo feature is also good enough.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:42 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

yah, the best one would be called "your ears"
but seriously, dont use it cuz it'll just lead to you wasting time.
you go to class, set up your recorder like a tool, and then waste an hour, not paying attention because you'll say to yourself "oh, i dont need to pay attention, i can just listen to it later", and then later, you'll either not bother to listen to it, or you'll waste another hour, when you could've just been paying attention the first time

sorry, i didnt mean to sound harsh. but i would advise against using one. if you're gonna disregard what i've said, then i would go with the post above.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Old 07-18-2011 at 09:44 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Yeah, it's probably better just to learn how to take good notes. If you're doing this for reference for the future, you'd better have some software help you tag it and do searches and what not. It would be a pretty cool library of your university education.
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:53 PM   #5
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

@djRAIN u were harsh. I record lectures but only as backup when i write notes on my laptop it records the time of every single note written and date. So if i dont understand what i wrote i refer back to the recordings. not everyone just listens to all of them before the test.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:58 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Recording = bad idea for most courses, unless done professionally by a prof. Now taking a high quality movie is a good idea if you can manage it (not cell phone quality)
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:06 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
yah, the best one would be called "your ears"
but seriously, dont use it cuz it'll just lead to you wasting time.
you go to class, set up your recorder like a tool, and then waste an hour, not paying attention because you'll say to yourself "oh, i dont need to pay attention, i can just listen to it later", and then later, you'll either not bother to listen to it, or you'll waste another hour, when you could've just been paying attention the first time

sorry, i didnt mean to sound harsh. but i would advise against using one. if you're gonna disregard what i've said, then i would go with the post above.
I strongly disagree. Having a recorder doesn't mean that you won't pay attention in class. I take notes in class but also record the lecture for future use. And especially with some classes, it can be beneficial to listen to the lecture again, for e.g. if a professors speaks too fast for you to write everything down.

@OP- I have the Sony ICD PX720 and it works really well. Never had any problems with it. http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...umber=ICDPX720

L'Étoile says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:30 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I tend to record lectures for evening classes. I agree with Kevin; playing catch up becomes tempting and does happen. If you're in your first year, you will need a good amount of discipline not to just fall asleep during a boring lecture and put off your recordings till later. I'll be honest, that's what happeed with me several times.

Now, I tend to record lectures if my hands are cramping and I can't write, if it's a course like English where I like hearing the lecture again, or where the prof goes too quickly/mumbles too much, if it's late and I'm tired, or if I have a bad headache. If I can write, I will. I may still record the lecture if it's an important topic, and it's a nice fallback but people tend to rely on recorders too much sometimes.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-19-2011 at 12:02 AM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

whatever ur opinon of this is be it. my imo

recordings are useless. sure u may fall behind/fall asleep/get confused. why not go to the prof personally? they are paid/have office hours to do so and are great (learned so much more and my own mistakes by going to prof office hours). im not sure about social courses (english, philo, psych, etc) but from my 1st year exp in engineering, if it is math/physics/chem/p03/c03 just go ask the prof or ta urself.
Old 07-19-2011 at 12:10 AM   #10
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

slightly off from OP's question, but i was under the impression that recording was a CSD accommodation... if so, then how come everyone is able to (or is it just that the prof doesn't know?), or is it that certain classes/faculties allow it and others don't? otherwise, what is the point of having it listed as an accommodation?

can anyone clarify please?

edit: never mind. not all classes allow you to record.

Last edited by soltintal : 07-19-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2011 at 12:49 AM   #11
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

ive tried this... to date i have yet to re-listen to any of the lectures

RyanC likes this.
Old 07-19-2011 at 12:55 AM   #12
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Recordings saved my butt in genetics. Thanks again Sara! I owe ya.
Old 07-19-2011 at 01:09 AM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
Recordings saved my butt in genetics. Thanks again Sara! I owe ya.
Haha, no worries .
Old 07-19-2011 at 02:11 AM   #14
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

just sit in the front of the lecture hall with your laptop, open onenote, start the recording, and start taking notes like you would usually. When you play the recording, thd file will show you what you were typing during the time of the recording, so you can click on any place in your notes, and it will start playing the recording at any point you choose. This way,you won't need to listen to the entire lecture for one tiny word you missed.
Old 07-20-2011 at 09:19 AM   #15
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionorchid View Post
just sit in the front of the lecture hall with your laptop, open onenote, start the recording, and start taking notes like you would usually. When you play the recording, thd file will show you what you were typing during the time of the recording, so you can click on any place in your notes, and it will start playing the recording at any point you choose. This way,you won't need to listen to the entire lecture for one tiny word you missed.
Wow, That sounds like a great program... Do you know if there's a similar program for OSX?

College Advice