MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
Looking for a part time or full time job killza Volunteering Opportunities 1 06-24-2010 02:05 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
am i full time or part time????? macculkin General Discussion 9 09-14-2009 10:09 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

I want to reverse time...

Old 02-20-2011 at 04:08 AM   #1
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

I want to reverse time...
Everything seems so much more interesting when you play them backward. First Memento, now this.

Trailer of Dead Island.

Old 02-20-2011 at 09:11 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

It definately was emotionally effective, but how did she die so fast from a leg wound?

Also: I really hate game trailers that have a pretty thing to show but don't actually display what the gameplay looks like...
Old 02-20-2011 at 12:15 PM   #3
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
It definately was emotionally effective, but how did she die so fast from a leg wound?

Also: I really hate game trailers that have a pretty thing to show but don't actually display what the gameplay looks like...
She didn't die.

Probably fainted from the shock after getting chased and bitten by the zombies.

Then she got turned as she was on the bed
Old 02-20-2011 at 12:21 PM   #4
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

They're calling this game trailer of the year - which really bothers me because they have shown no game play at all. Granted we know its going to be an "emotional" game, and that its like L4D with significantly fewer guns (or none at all), and its obviously shown throughout the trailer but other than that, it just seems like an okay zombie movie trailer...
I'd rather see en entirely in game trailer like LA Noire than a CG trailer with somber piano music...
Old 02-20-2011 at 12:24 PM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

It wasn't just a leg wound. Didn't you see that hole between her neck and chest?
Old 02-20-2011 at 01:14 PM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

What a horrible father just takes his kid from the bedroom and throws her in a zombie filled corridor.

LOL that's what it looks like if you ignore the fact that it is going back in time.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 02-20-2011 at 04:32 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
It wasn't just a leg wound. Didn't you see that hole between her neck and chest?
I looked closely where was the neck biting, lol, its just I saw no cause of death. Everyone knows you have to die before you turn.
Old 02-20-2011 at 04:59 PM   #8
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

I just meant that her leg wasn't where she was bitten, not the leg. lol

Zombies vary from media to media. Resident Evil (games, not movies), for example, only requires you to be infected enough to turn, and doesn't require you to die. There are also the (ficional, obviously) cases when getting bitten will be the transmission of the infection, and given time, the host turns. There are cases where what you said holds though, but we don't know which is the case that the game creators decide to play (probably the former, considering the daughter's actions).
Old 02-20-2011 at 07:34 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Hmm.

I rewatch it. Both the time forward and time reverse version. It does show the wound on the neck, yet the action scene only focus and show her getting bitten on the leg.

*shrug*

Even without game play, I think this was a successful trailer.

To me, a trailer's job is to incite interests. It did just that. It got people talking. Ultimately the game will be graded on game play, but it definitely is not needed in the opening trailer.

Take Star Wars: The Old Republic for example.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 02-21-2011 at 02:09 AM   #10
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I looked closely where was the neck biting, lol, its just I saw no cause of death. Everyone knows you have to die before you turn.
Writers play around with zombie characteristics all the time. Remember when "everyone knew" they were slow and couldn't run?

"You have to die before you turn" hasn't been around since 1996...
Old 02-21-2011 at 11:10 AM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Anyone else reminded of Lost?

The music, and opening with the shot of someone's eye as they're lying down?
Old 02-24-2011 at 12:14 AM   #12
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Even without game play, I think this was a successful trailer.

To me, a trailer's job is to incite interests. It did just that. It got people talking. Ultimately the game will be graded on game play, but it definitely is not needed in the opening trailer.
What bothers me is when video game trailers do not use the in-game engine.

I generally excuse announcement trailers because the developers are far too busy at this point creating the game. Points for when they are interesting, such as Dead Island's.

The only announcement trailer I can think of off the top of my head that used the (current) in-game engine was Halo 2. And it was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Take Star Wars: The Old Republic for example.

That is fine, I guess. Absolutely loathed the E3 2010 trailer though. ~5 minutes of CG crap that doesn't at all stir my interest.

Last edited by Grover : 02-24-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added clarification.
Old 02-24-2011 at 12:41 AM   #13
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
What bothers me is when video game trailers do not use the in-game engine.

I generally excuse announcement trailers because the developers are far too busy at this point creating the game. Points for when they are interesting, such as Dead Island's.

The only announcement trailer I can think of off the top of my head that used the (current) in-game engine was Halo 2. And it was awesome.
Perhaps the problem lies in the naming system that we use when we talk about Video Game Trailers.

Some companies already been using it, but users probably not following the same format and created such backlash.

Better way of wording it is: Cinematic Trailer and Game Trailer.

Its the same with Movie Trailers. We have Teasers, which are short clip showing nothing and we have actual Trailers.

Yet, users tend to refer to them both as "Trailers" in turns disappointing others that expect to see Trailer when viewing a Teaser.
Old 02-24-2011 at 01:45 AM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Because of the replies, I was just thinking about of example that show the best Game Trailer. I keep going back to Nintendo for this one. They really execute it well.

Old 02-24-2011 at 01:57 AM   #15
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Anyone else reminded of Lost?

The music, and opening with the shot of someone's eye as they're lying down?
They do complement each other quite nicely. Heres some LOST nostalgia for ya mixed with soundtrack from the trailer: