MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pets ? Skye Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 18 11-01-2010 08:59 PM
donating blood question...vegetarian? mac_nurse90 Body & Food 3 10-02-2010 06:41 PM
Pets anthony Residence & Housing 10 08-23-2010 02:03 PM
Pets Taunton General Discussion 38 07-28-2009 09:32 AM

We are donating to pets.....SERIOUSLY???

Old 12-01-2011 at 01:48 PM   #1
gwenethrules

Liked: Liked 14 Times

We are donating to pets.....SERIOUSLY???
Has anyone noticed the Christmas donation boxes located inside of Mills Library? Well my problem is the box dedicated for the donation of toys specifically for pets. REALLY, come on McMaster, there are children and families without basic toiletries, necessary winter clothing and we are donating toys for the pets of families who can't afford the LUXURY of gifts for an animal. To me it seems absolutely disgusting how we treat animals better than fellow human beings. So if you are planning on dumping something into the pet box, please reconsider, and donate to a charity that will actually help a HUMAN BEING.

AmyLia, husayn12, jim1, MaryS, Yogurt all say thanks to gwenethrules for this post.

Old 12-01-2011 at 02:00 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The "animals" food/toy bin in Mills goes to the SPCA (for abandoned animals) and to the pets of the same families who receive items from the "people" bins in Mills (the "people" bins may not be up yet, or they may have been moved to another part of campus). The donations are to help the ENTIRE family, not just the humans in the family. I'm sure those people would appreciate you donating to help their family, though I think it would hurt their feelings if you left out their pets on purpose.
Plus, a lot of people who donate to the "animal" bin are bringing in items from home that they no longer use (cans of dog food that their dog won't eat, cat toys that their cat is bored of, cages of animals who have outgrown them, etc). It doesn't make sense to just throw those items in the garbage if they can be given to an animal in need.

Besides, donating to one cause doesn't mean you can't donate to another.

Here is a list of places where you can drop off the gifts for children. Since you feel so strongly about this issue, I'm sure these charities are greatly looking forward to your donations. Let us know how it goes.
www.redcross.ca
www.citykidz.ca
www.mission-services.com
www.salvationarmy.com

There is also a great program through the Good Shepherd in Hamilton that I have taken part in for many years. You get a Christmas list from a family, including parents, children and pets, and buy them some items that they need. Here's a link to their site: http://www.goodshepherdcentr es.ca/...nsorFamily.htm

It's important to remember everyone in need, not just humans.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 12-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.

AlienSummer, Cliu91, terrafirma all say thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

Old 12-01-2011 at 02:03 PM   #3
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

While I agree with you,I can also see the other side of the story where pets in terrible conditions can't help themselves, either. I know that outside of Health Sciences library has a similar display that you can donate (i think it's non perishable food) for children and families who are less fortunate, so I think it's good that they're helping both.

Old 12-01-2011 at 02:07 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Clearly threadstarter has never seen a homeless person with a dog.

On a related note, sheltered much?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

AlienSummer, Cliu91, doug, Sintos like this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 02:08 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenethrules View Post
To me it seems absolutely disgusting how we treat animals better than fellow human beings.
I hate a lot less animals than I do people, so I disagree.

xxsumz says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

Old 12-01-2011 at 03:14 PM   #6
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I have spent half hour writing a decent argument that if I had a choice between donating a toy for the abandoned/abused pets and donating a basic necessity item for human beings. It would be the animals. I lost it when it asked me to re-login and the box went blank. These thirty minutes I will never get back... frick meh. In my opinion, Chad needs to implement the autosave feature.

Anyways, long story short. In my opinion, human beings are greedy and destructive and we breed animals to profit ourselves out of our own self interest. At the end, these animals will be destroyed due to animal neglect, abandonment and/or animal abuse. I have seen the worst of the worst (on the interwebs of course). Imagine seeing some teenagers putting a dog in a cage, soak her in gasoline and set her on fire for shit and giggles. She cannot escape, constantly yelps in pain until she is charred to death. All this for human being's viewing pleasure.

Human beings (without severe disabilities of course) are capable to succeed in life and a whole lot of them have the ability to get out of poverty. However, they choose not to because they feel that the government income they are receiving is sufficient. I am sure most of you have seen or heard individuals that would go out and buy drugs, cigarettes and/or alcohol while they are on welfare just because they are free to do so. On top of that, they even breed children knowing that they are struggling to provide food, clothing and shelter for themselves. Sometimes I ponder whether human beings should have a license to breed. So, these kind of people are not getting free stuff from me!

My two cents.

Misspolitics likes this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 03:20 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
Human beings (without severe disabilities of course) are capable to succeed in life and a whole lot of them have the ability to get out of poverty. However, they choose not to because they feel that the government income they are receiving is sufficient. I am sure most of you have seen or heard individuals that would go out and buy drugs, cigarettes and/or alcohol while they are on welfare just because they are free to do so. On top of that, they even breed children knowing that they are struggling to provide food, clothing and shelter for themselves. Sometimes I ponder whether human beings should have a license to breed or not. So, these kind of people are not getting free stuff from me!
That's kind of a gross generalization. Yes, there are douches that just try and stay at the poverty level so that the government can pay for them, but I doubt that makes up a majority. My guess is a lot of these donated items will be going to poor immigrants that just landed here.

Even if there is a portion going to crack-heads, alcoholics and druggies - I consider it a kind of 'insurance' that these people won't rob me now since their absolute basic necessities are being met.

-----

Now back to the original post, I don't get why the op is flipping out so hard. Nobody says you have to put anything in the 'animal' donation bin, and there are perfectly usable 'human' donation bins right next to them. Like some other guy in this thread was saying, it's a good way to donate food/toys/cages to animal shelters that probably need them. A lot of the people putting items into this bin have probably already put stuff in the 'human' bin anyway, or wouldn't of put stuff in that bin either way to begin with.

apples12, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 03:21 PM   #8
manap3001
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Clearly threadstarter has never seen a homeless person with a dog.

On a related note, sheltered much?
if you look carefully you can see all the ribs poking out too, these degenerates don't deserve pets, and until they get off the drugs and alcohol they don't deserve my help.

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 03:41 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Human beings (without severe disabilities of course) are capable to succeed in life and a whole lot of them have the ability to get out of poverty. However, they choose not to because they feel that the government income they are receiving is sufficient. I am sure most of you have seen or heard individuals that would go out and buy drugs, cigarettes and/or alcohol while they are on welfare just because they are free to do so. On top of that, they even breed children knowing that they are struggling to provide food, clothing and shelter for themselves. Sometimes I ponder whether human beings should have a license to breed. So, these kind of people are not getting free stuff from me!

My two cents.
I can't even begin to fathom how much of a sheltered and easy life someone would have to have to just assume everybody poor is just there because they aren't willing to work for success...

Old 12-01-2011 at 03:46 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3001 View Post
if you look carefully you can see all the ribs poking out too, these degenerates don't deserve pets, and until they get off the drugs and alcohol they don't deserve my help.
Who's saying they deserve them? I'm saying they have them and that's not gonna change any time soon. Being poor doesn't stop many poor people from procreating, what would stop them from thinking they can provide for an animal as well? Might as well help the pets too. Not their fault they got stranded with the irresponsible, douchebag owner.
[sweeping generalization]

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-01-2011 at 03:49 PM   #11
MaryS

Liked: 17 Times

Your dog ain't gonna know or care whether you buy it a bacon flavored fish for Christmas or not. Your kid might.

Old 12-01-2011 at 03:51 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Your dog ain't gonna know or care whether you buy it a bacon flavored fish for Christmas or not. Your kid might.
Donate the dog food to the children instead eh...

nerual likes this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 04:59 PM   #13
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:

My two cents.
As someone who works with individuals who live in poverty, that is utter bullcrap. Have you actually spoken to someone who is on Ontario Works? Do you know how much someone on OW makes a month? And I'm also offended that you assume poverty=bad parenting. If you have money it's just wayy easier to sweep things under the rug. It makes me ill knowing that such ignorance exists.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

AlienSummer, MaryS all say thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

Old 12-01-2011 at 05:33 PM   #14
MaryS

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
As someone who works with individuals who live in poverty, that is utter bullcrap. Have you actually spoken to someone who is on Ontario Works? Do you know how much someone on OW makes a month? And I'm also offended that you assume poverty=bad parenting. If you have money it's just wayy easier to sweep things under the rug. It makes me ill knowing that such ignorance exists.
I couldn't agree more.

People seem to blame poverty on drugs, alcohol, smoking and bad parenting. No one seems to consider the underlying problems.

Y'all should read up on some of the work that the center for inner city health has been doing. Might open your eyes a bit.

aam18, jamescw1234, jim1 like this.
Old 12-01-2011 at 06:25 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Hmm... keep useless unused toy for my dog/cat who won't use it any more or donate it for pets whos owners can't afford them... how is this 'disgusting'?