MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pets ? Skye Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 18 11-01-2010 08:59 PM
donating blood question...vegetarian? mac_nurse90 Body & Food 3 10-02-2010 06:41 PM
Pets anthony Residence & Housing 10 08-23-2010 02:03 PM
Pets Taunton General Discussion 38 07-28-2009 09:32 AM

We are donating to pets.....SERIOUSLY???

Old 12-02-2011 at 04:38 PM   #31
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Say I have a dog toy and but not a kid toy. I think its perfectly fine to donate it.

But say I have a kid's toy and a dog's toy, I would prefer to give up the kid's toy (assuming I can only drop one of them).

That's just my priorities. And while I might not agree, I don't really care if say, a vet donates preferentially to a dog charity, or if someone gives to heart and stroke over breast cancer, etc. It's not like people are forcd to donate - if someone's getting something, I think that's better than nothing being given at all.

If you're going to give your money to someone, you're allowed to pick who gets it. That's the difference between charity and taxes.

Last edited by britb : 12-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.

nerual likes this.
Old 12-02-2011 at 09:55 PM   #32
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

To the OP (gwenethrules), you are the prime example of someone who thinks humans are above all species. Do you know how much animal suffering and animal extinction that is caused by humans?

The world would be a much better place if humans went extinct. We're a disease. I believe we should help animals first.

guildenstern, RyanC like this.
Old 12-03-2011 at 12:26 AM   #33
manap3001
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
To the OP (gwenethrules), you are the prime example of someone who thinks humans are above all species. Do you know how much animal suffering and animal extinction that is caused by humans?

The world would be a much better place if humans went extinct. We're a disease. I believe we should help animals first.
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking pride in the fact that you're human. It's good for humanity in general.

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-03-2011 at 01:46 AM   #34
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
Everyone already has the choice to opt out of the dental insurance plan. Also, this insurance is valid at any dentist, not just the Campus Dentist.

And lastly, it's a very reasonable cost ($110) for excellent dental coverage. You should be thankful that your student union offers it to you: a lot of schools don't.
... I never said anything about people not having the choice to opt out? Just stating the fact that if you want to donate this Christmas... you can cancel something that is used by like 5% of school?

Yea I am sure 110 dollars a year would be great for dental coverage... if I like throwing my face against brick walls.

I have never even met anyone who has needed the dental coverage.
Old 12-03-2011 at 08:28 AM   #35
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3001 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking pride in the fact that you're human. It's good for humanity in general.
We as humans have things to be proud of, but at the same time you must realize the atrocities that we commit, and the harm we do to other species and our planet. We can no longer be narrow-minded to just think what is "good for humanity". We must rise up and treat other species as equals.

Humans no longer have natural predators in this world, thus our population will keep growing and growing. As there are limited resources on any planet, this growth does not come free. It comes at the expense of the extinction of other animals each and everyday. Think about all the animals that die due to cutting down forests and urbanization. The planet will not continue to sustain our current ways of life...

c.sixteen likes this.
Old 12-03-2011 at 12:53 PM   #36
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:

So if there was a starving two-year old girl in front of you along with a starving dog, and you could only feed one of them, you'd feed the dog? Cool to know ...
Old 12-03-2011 at 02:32 PM   #37
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by husayn12 View Post
So if there was a starving two-year old girl in front of you along with a starving dog, and you could only feed one of them, you'd feed the dog? Cool to know ...
How about you answer your own question, instead of simply criticizing my views.

Can you please explain why you would feed the girl (or the dog if that is your answer)?
Old 12-03-2011 at 02:46 PM   #38
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

I donated chocolate.
Old 12-03-2011 at 04:19 PM   #39
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
id feed both regardless, but the difference is that there is someone else to take care of the girl (whether finding her parents or adoption if she was abandoned) until she was ok but the dog would die on the street, otherwise if its not adopted it would be put down. there is social support for people, far less for animals
Old 12-03-2011 at 04:34 PM   #40
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
I donated chocolate.
The equivalent of saying you put poison in the human donation bin. Hilarious ...
Old 12-03-2011 at 08:11 PM   #41
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

I, too, am literally incapable of caring about more than one thing at once.

Old 12-03-2011 at 09:40 PM   #42
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
id feed both regardless, but the difference is that there is someone else to take care of the girl (whether finding her parents or adoption if she was abandoned) until she was ok but the dog would die on the street, otherwise if its not adopted it would be put down. there is social support for people, far less for animals
His question was if you could only feed one. There wouldn't be a dilemma if you could feed both. I agree with your other points.
Old 12-03-2011 at 09:44 PM   #43
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:

Can you please explain why you would feed the girl (or the dog if that is your answer)?
I wasn't criticizing, merely clarifying whether my interpretation of your view was correct ...

As to answer your question, I would feed the girl and here are two reasons why (of many).

1) I have a natural empathy for other humans. Dogs protect their own before other species, ants protect their own against others, bees protect their own and so on. In much the same way, I would like to protect my own species before others.

2) Religion. Based on religion and my beliefs, it would be mandatory to save a human life before an animal.

As a final thought, I'm wondering if I it was you that was starving along with the dog instead of the two year old girl. If I was holding the food that would save one of you, would you truly want me to feed the dog over you? Note that I'm not trying to attack/flame you, just merely attempting to gain some perspective.
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:09 PM   #44
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
I wasn't criticizing, merely clarifying whether my interpretation of your view was correct ...

As to answer your question, I would feed the girl and here are two reasons why (of many).

1) I have a natural empathy for other humans. Dogs protect their own before other species, ants protect their own against others, bees protect their own and so on. In much the same way, I would like to protect my own species before others.

2) Religion. Based on religion and my beliefs, it would be mandatory to save a human life before an animal.

As a final thought, I'm wondering if I it was you that was starving along with the dog instead of the two year old girl. If I was holding the food that would save one of you, would you truly want me to feed the dog over you? Note that I'm not trying to attack/flame you, just merely attempting to gain some perspective.
Actually, I'm pretty sure dogs have been known to protect their owners (humans) even against other dogs.

And in your hypothetical situation...as a living creature, of course I would want to survive and be fed. But I would also understand perfectly if you chose to feed the dog instead, and I wouldn't even be mad at you or the dog. And do you know why?...because I have no right to live any more than the dog does. Which is why I don't agree with your 2nd point about it being "mandatory to save a human life before an animal". (Note: I'm not attacking your religion... people seem to get really sensitive when it comes to religious beliefs).

Last edited by Allan : 12-03-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:44 PM   #45
manap3001
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:

I can't believe you just asked that question, you need help bro.