MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Food Combinations You've Had AdelaisAer Body & Food 10 10-03-2010 12:16 AM
Is it weird that some new books are cheaper than used? sinthusized General Discussion 7 09-11-2009 08:45 PM
Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone johnaa General Discussion 7 01-23-2009 08:14 PM
weird question!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-28-2008 12:48 PM
weird but true!!!! joset2 General Discussion 1 06-14-2007 02:52 PM

Weird things in class

Old 09-30-2009 at 10:24 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Weird things in class
What are some weird things you notice in your classes? One thing I notice this year in a first year class I have is how awkward it can be when you sit down and someone (usually a first year,) introduces themselves in an overly enthusiastic way. It’s creepy all the time and always catches me off guard. Another weird thing is that for my math class, I will admit that our professor is attractive, but the other day the girl next to me was taking pictures of him (he was not aware). I asked “Why are you taking pictures?” “Because he’s so hot!!!” Kind of funny but also weird.
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:32 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

what math class lol?
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:34 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

People sleeping in class, not paying attention, etc.. Why even go to class?
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:36 PM   #4
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

One thing I don't find funny but incredibly annoying in class is when people sitting with their laptops in a lecture will turn on their webcam. Really? Do we need pictures of you sitting in your lecture clearly not paying attention?
I've also seen someone have a full out skype conversation during a first year English lecture. I was not impressed.

Old 09-30-2009 at 10:41 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by moops View Post
One thing I don't find funny but incredibly annoying in class is when people sitting with their laptops in a lecture will turn on their webcam. Really? Do we need pictures of you sitting in your lecture clearly not paying attention?
I've also seen someone have a full out skype conversation during a first year English lecture. I was not impressed.
When you say "skype conversation" do you mean actually talking?
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:42 PM   #6
moops
Elite Member

Yup, actually talking. Saying "hiii, we're in lecture etc". It was in the big lecture hall in JHE. Maybe I was more upset because I couldn't hear the professor.

Old 09-30-2009 at 10:53 PM   #7
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Last year in econ, two kids dressed up as Peter Griffin and the Chicken from Family Guy, and they had a fight/tumble down the stairs of MDCL 1305. The Prof was not happy and she eventually went on teaching while the whole class was laughing.

Last edited by Fight0 : 09-30-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Old 09-30-2009 at 10:57 PM   #8
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Last year in econ, two kids dressed up as Peter Griffin and the Chicken from Family Guy, and they had a fight/tumble down the stairs of MDCL 1305. The Prof was not happy and she eventually went on teaching while the whole class was laughing.
THATS EPIC.
LOLZ.
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:58 PM   #9
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

First year engineering calculus:

Assorted Childs' Quotes:

September nth, 2008:
- "Normally I don't mind when cellphones go off during class, but there was this one time I was teaching when someone's phone went off... And he answered it! I ignored him and went on, because it didn't bother me, but I could see that people around him were starting to get frustrated. So I asked him if he would get off the phone. Do you know what he did!? He looked up and said '*hand motions* Hang on'.
So I walked down the aisle and went up to him, told him to get off the phone. And he didn't! Know what I did?
I beat the crap out of him!
So now whenever a cellphone goes off during class, I get excited. I want someone to answer it."

September n(+/-)xth, 2008:
- "I encourage you guys to ask questions, I mean, the worst that can happen is you'll ask a stupid question and the class will laugh at you. If it's bad, you'll get beat up after class. If it's really bad, I'll beat you up."

October 5th, 2008:
- "1661-1704...what a lot of people don't know is that I'm related to L'Hopital! Actually...he was my dad."
- "We didn't call it L'Hopital's Rule back then. We just called it my dad's rule."
- "We would just stay up all night taking limits to infinity...and we'd never get bored!"
- "You must think I'm really old then, but I look a lot younger than I am. That's because I use Oil of Olay."

October 21st, 2008:
- "With Newton's Law of Cooling, you don't have to keep going to the fridge to see if your pop is exactly 50 degrees! You can just check after ten minutes, then use the formula and know exactly when it will be ready! Think of all the extra math work you can do now that you don't have to keep checking your pop!"

November nth, 2008:
- "What a lot of people don't know is that I'm actually related to Gauss. Actually, I am Gauss!"

November n+xth, 2008:
- "This is something you'll learn that actually has a practical application. Let's say you're walking down the street, and a wealthy businessman walks up to you and says, if you can tell me what e to the one tenth accurate to five places is, I will give 500 dollars. It happens to me all the time! How do you think I got so rich?"

November n+yth, 2008:
- "You shouldn't draw a small theta with a thick marker like this one. It looks like...it kind of looks like a planet."

January 8th, 2009:
- "Now how do you know if you made the right choice for u and du? The answer is: You don't!"
- "Really, you SHOULD complain about this. You should complain to the Math department. You should complain to the Associate Dean of Engineering. Just... don't tell them that I told you to complain."

January 13th, 2009:
- "See, it's like a cup. But you can't drink out of it. Because it's made of ink."
- "Think of it like a flat donut. Except you can't eat it. 'Cause it's made of ink!"
- "This one's just like the cup, but it has a hole in the bottom. So you couldn't drink out of it, even if it WASN'T made out of ink."

January 14th, 2009:
- "When I taught my Social Science students these things, I'd put a question like this up on the board, and you know what they'd do? They'd stare at it for an hour and then drop the course!"

January 15th, 2009:
- "How will you know that this can be integrated? You can't! Only after doing hundreds and hundreds of integrals will you be able to look at this and know it has an answer."

January 26th, 2009:
- The return of: p-series, convergence and divergence, indeterminate forms, and of course, L'Hopital's Rule. I was a little nervous when it came out...I semi-expected him to mention this group and call out its members or something. I have a feeling he knows it exists.

January 28th, 2009:
- "Did you guys know there's a test tomorrow?"

January 29th, 2009:
- "So, have you guys started studying yet?"

February 3rd, 2009:
- "And this is approximately 6.034...
Now, you guys probably think that I just got that out of the book, but that's not true. I did that in my head. I'm a human calculator! You may not believe me, because I checked the book before I wrote down the answer, but see... I was only checking to make sure the BOOK got it right."
- "So this makes it an even BIGGER constant!"

February 11th, 2009:
- "So we write '2% of customers to wait more than a minutes'...this is actually terrible notation, because if I just take the 's' off, it'll say '2% of customers to wait more than a minute', which isn't what we want. I'm gonna change this to 'b' minutes."
- "Did you guys get all these questions? I did. I'm really good at this stuff."

February 13th, 2009:
Responses to "What are the applications of this [polar coordinates]?":
- "Well, there are two applications for this. One, it'll be on your test. But the most important application of this is that it'll show up on your final."
- "When you end up graduating university, and you end up teaching this stuff..."
- "You see, in high school when you asked what the applications of what you're learning is, they tell you you'll use it in university. When you get to first year and you ask again, they tell you you'll use it in second year. When you get to second year and ask about the applications, they tell you you'll use it in fourth-year math. When you finish your fourth year and you finally graduate, that's when you realize...you've been conned! This stuff is actually all useless!"

February 24th, 2009:
- "So I could have the review Thursday so you guys can skip that and fail -this- test, or I could have the review on Friday, you guys can skip tomorrow's lecture, and fail the next test! Let's take a vote."

February 25th, 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyxasyTfy8

February 27th, 2009:
- "Let's take a vote. How many of you want to vote on what questions to do? How many of you want me to just go through the questions?"

March 9th, 2009:
Kid: "Shouldn't that be z times z-bar?"
Aaron: "Yeah, it should. It's confusing, because z looks like it has a bar already. Z is like three bars and a slash. Z-bar is like four bars."

March 10th, 2009:
- "If you guys thought integrals were fun, double integrals are twice as fun!"

April 1st, 2009:
- "I think I might cry."

Various or Uncategorized Quotes:
- "This question is a DESTROYER."
- "Isn't this great stuff?"
- "Isn't that great stuff?"
- "...And I'd never get bored!"
- "What a killer question!"
- "One mark."
- "I SHOULD kick his ass."
- "So you know what I did? I kicked his ass."
- "My dad would kick his ass."
- "Now here's a theorem that I made up..."
- "Or else I'll kill you guys on the final....just joking, I'm going to kill you guys on the final either way."
- "Let's take a vote."

Last edited by MacEng : 09-30-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Old 09-30-2009 at 11:02 PM   #10
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

OMG Childs is the man. He made 1CC3 such an awesome class.
Old 09-30-2009 at 11:04 PM   #11
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

Oh! Best question ever, in Earth Sci/Envir Sci 1G03

"So....is sea floor spreading the reason we have like, waves? 'cause I know there aren't a lot of waves on the Pacific ocean...."

*professor stares in bemusement and confuzzledness*

Yes, you poor, silly thing: Australia is not called a surfing mecca for no reason. Oh, and, y'know all that lake-floor spreading we have in Lake Ontario? Thats why there's waves. And in ponds, too! AND PUDDLES.

That may have been mean but seriously. I couldn't help but laugh and think that. It was just that funny.
Old 09-30-2009 at 11:05 PM   #12
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

I have seen people get it on in lecture orally. Kind of awk, but at least I wasn't next to them.
Old 09-30-2009 at 11:40 PM   #13
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
One thing I notice this year in a first year class I have is how awkward it can be when you sit down and someone (usually a first year,) introduces themselves in an overly enthusiastic way. It’s creepy all the time and always catches me off guard.
lol you're creeped out by friendliness?

and i agree about the webcam thing though. some girls infront of me were playing with photobooth and they were making it so my head was all warped and stuff and they were giggling. then i just kind of glared at them through their webcam haha.

also, i saw a girl playing one of those male dating sim games on her laptop. pretty jokes
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:22 AM   #14
moops
Elite Member

a) I am definitely in your class
b) I laughed out loud at that question and chuckle quietly to myself over the bazillion other questions she asks every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMal View Post
Oh! Best question ever, in Earth Sci/Envir Sci 1G03

"So....is sea floor spreading the reason we have like, waves? 'cause I know there aren't a lot of waves on the Pacific ocean...."

*professor stares in bemusement and confuzzledness*

Yes, you poor, silly thing: Australia is not called a surfing mecca for no reason. Oh, and, y'know all that lake-floor spreading we have in Lake Ontario? Thats why there's waves. And in ponds, too! AND PUDDLES.

That may have been mean but seriously. I couldn't help but laugh and think that. It was just that funny.

Old 10-01-2009 at 07:44 AM   #15
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post

Ooooooooooooh just you wait for early march time when the Redsuit tryouts are nigh....

or kipling in late march! Those are the best pranks :3