MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you think of Welcome Week? Galleria First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-12-2011 05:37 PM
Welcome Week Angoose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 53 08-19-2010 10:58 AM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
Welcome Week Day One lorend MacInsiders Announcements 6 08-30-2008 11:37 AM
Welcome Week/Frosh Week Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-04-2008 05:30 PM

Welcome Week

Old 08-30-2013 at 12:05 AM   #1
matt1025

Liked: 2 Times

Welcome Week
IS it common that I am going to Welcome Week by myself? How to make friends? Give me some ideas? Thank you!!!!

doniiboo likes this.
Old 08-30-2013 at 05:33 AM   #2
EmilD

Liked: 8 Times

Completely normal. If you live on res, I recommend you attend a lot of the events that have been organized for you. Meet people who live in your res, and see if any of them are on your floor. But don't stop at just your res, meet people in other residences.

If you don't live in res, there's always faculty day to make up for that. Go out and socialize during faculty day and attend the events. Pretty sure they force you to partner up or group up so they make it easier on you to socialize.

Those are just my tips, but I'm sure other people have great ones as well.

matt1025 likes this.
Old 08-30-2013 at 07:08 AM   #3
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times

It is completely normal to go to Welcome Week alone. When I was in first year I lived in res and attended most events with my roommate. We met lots of people together but ended up going our separate ways and having our own groups of friends eventually. I would definitely recommend going to every event that you can, whether you're on campus or off, because this is the time when everyone is trying to meet people. Very few people will know anyone and everyone will be a little nervous at first (or at least were in my experience) but the nice thing is that everyone is going through it together!
Another tip- In first year I went around and knocked on doors on my floor to say hi and introduce myself to my floormates. If you're outgoing (I'm not usually but felt like trying my best lol) then thats a great way to put yourself out there and make some friends. I made some of my closest friends that way!
Good luck and have fun! Your first year welcome week only happens once so make the best of it

matt1025 says thanks to shelbs for this post.

Silver likes this.
Old 08-30-2013 at 09:13 PM   #4
doniiboo

Liked: 5 Times

I'm going by myself too lol we're in the same boat!

matt1025, patriots4eva like this.
Old 08-30-2013 at 09:34 PM   #5
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Something I think you should try is to follow up on people you meet. If you can get their phone number or find them on Facebook, message them afterwards or make plans for lunch or something. I found I met a lot of people during Welcome Week, but a lot of them weren't in my res/program and I never saw them again (or worse, you see them two months later and don't know if they remember you or if you should say hi...)

doniiboo says thanks to Quiver for this post.

shelbs likes this.
Old 08-30-2013 at 10:08 PM   #6
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

Don't worry about it, I was also in the same situation 3 years ago along with most other people I knew from my high school. Welcome Week is a time to mingle with other students and make potential friends, but don't feel overly pressured to become best friends with everyone during that week. Just remember, you have 4 amazing years to make this campus your home and forge meaningful relationships with those people around you, so don't feel discouraged if you haven't made any "real" friendships by the end of the week. You may find out that your best friendships will be made by those you meet in classes/labs/tutorials. You might actually have a slight advantage compared to those people coming to welcome week with friends from their high schools...these people will be less inclined to leave their comfort zone, and will more than likely just hang out with the clique they are already in...however, by coming to welcome week alone without those limitations, you have a much greater potential to meet/befriend more people!
Old 08-31-2013 at 12:24 AM   #7
matt1025

Really? Which program are you taking?
Old 08-31-2013 at 06:03 AM   #8
doniiboo

Social Science, how about you?
Old 08-31-2013 at 08:27 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Very normal to not have other friends from your school to join you. Especially for the faculty-only events.

There are MANY ways to meet new friends at McMaster. Go to MacConnector.. it is during welcome week (see the schedule) and is basically a big icebreaker game where you'll have fun doing activities with other first-year students.

Second, COME TO MACINSIDERS SOCIAL NIGHT! It's Sept 12th at Kelseys. We'll be meeting on campus and going down together (if you live on campus or don't know where Kelseys is). We do a lot of icebreakers and it is a smaller group (around 80-90 people) instead of hundreds of people like MacConnector. We'll have Karaoke there, lots of prizes, games, icebreakers, and will make sure you meet some new friends by the end of the night Just come up to me at the beginning of the event and let me know who you are and I'll make sure of it!

Event details will be posted on our homepage soon.
Old 08-31-2013 at 09:26 PM   #10
matt1025

Commerce. How was you welcome week day one?
Old 09-01-2013 at 06:36 AM   #11
doniiboo

It was okay, definitely not what I expected lol. The SOCS are so enthusiastic! I didn't stay for the under the stars thing, I was so tired by then I just wanted to go home and sleep. How about you, how did you find it? Any events you're looking forward to?
Old 09-01-2013 at 09:11 AM   #12
matt1025

For sure, I had the same experience as yours. The next events I am looking forward to are social night on Tuesday night and faculty day.
Old 09-02-2013 at 12:31 AM   #13
doniiboo

Do you mean the social tomorrow night? And yeah I think the faculty events should be good. I'm looking forward to faculty night social on Thursday. Did you go to the Sunday night social?