Welcome Week Concerts 2009 Gibson General Discussion 144 08-21-2009 11:34 AM
welcome week concerts evansj6 General Discussion 31 08-13-2008 08:33 PM

Welcome Week Concerts

Old 07-11-2012 at 01:58 PM   #1
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Welcome Week Concerts
Has anyone heard or has it even been decided yet what bands will be playing at Mac during reading week? The arkells were good but id rather see someone that is a bit of a bigger profile than them. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-11-2012 at 02:00 PM   #2
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

they havent released any info yet, they prob wont till like august im guessing... but go like this page on fb for updates ! http://www.facebook.com/MacWelcomeWeek
Old 07-11-2012 at 02:03 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Last I heard they were still negotiating, but campus events should have some news by August
Pretty sure there was talk of something more interesting than the same ol' bands, but who knows..
Old 07-11-2012 at 03:04 PM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

I would hope something better than previous years! It would be nice to see a big name band on campus instead of local talent. If i wanted to see that, I would go to a highschool talent show! Nothing against Arkells or San Sebastian, but i dont want to see an opening act as the main show

msuevents likes this.
Old 07-11-2012 at 03:29 PM   #5
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Just curious, what really makes a big name band want to play a frosh week show? I obviously don't know the full list of artists who've played WW but I think part of the reason these bands even come is because they have some sort of local tie to Hamilton/Toronto and what not. Or they're Canadian or something.
Old 07-11-2012 at 03:48 PM   #6
sdee

Liked: 8 Times

I talked to one of my friends whose part of the sound crew and they said that there isn't any big name coming in this year!! apparently its going to be a dj and an outdoor clubbing event :|
Old 07-11-2012 at 03:52 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

We are definitely spending more on bands/artists this year so expect something different! That is because of the fee passed last year all first years now have a MacPass and hence the MSU has a bigger allocation of money to play with.

We are even pondering electronic artists/DJ's as well to mix up with traditional bands that we've always gotten because students recently have started remarking how Brock/Western get the big name DJ's at their events (Aviccii etc)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Chad says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

crazyfree, msuevents like this.
Old 07-11-2012 at 04:01 PM   #8
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

It's difficult to get bands/acts that are bigger than what we've had in the past. The simple fact is that it's just too expensive. A ton of money is already put into the various events and logistics during welcome week. Getting really big names just isn't in the budget. Other schools who have had deadmau5 or Avicii have corporate sponsorships.

That being said, something decent and different from previous years is in the works. Stay tuned for official announcements in August!

Chad, msuevents like this.
Old 07-11-2012 at 04:23 PM   #9
msuevents
MSU Campus Events

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten..! View Post
they havent released any info yet, they prob wont till like august im guessing... but go like this page on fb for updates ! http://www.facebook.com/MacWelcomeWeek
That's right! We don't usually release concert details until closer to Welcome Week. Information will be released first on facebook.com/MSUCampusEvents and on Twitter:@MSUCampusEve nts!
Old 07-11-2012 at 04:25 PM   #10
msuevents
MSU Campus Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
I would hope something better than previous years! It would be nice to see a big name band on campus instead of local talent. If i wanted to see that, I would go to a highschool talent show! Nothing against Arkells or San Sebastian, but i dont want to see an opening act as the main show
Thanks for the feedback! It's definitely something Campus Events kept in mind for this year's Welcome Week!

Chris23 likes this.
Old 07-11-2012 at 04:52 PM   #11
msuevents
MSU Campus Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
Just curious, what really makes a big name band want to play a frosh week show? I obviously don't know the full list of artists who've played WW but I think part of the reason these bands even come is because they have some sort of local tie to Hamilton/Toronto and what not. Or they're Canadian or something.
There's a number of factors that come into play when we book shows. One factor is availability, which probably explains why they're usually Canadian. Sometimes we're able to snag them while they're touring in the area; other times they're all the way in Europe!
There are some artists who aren't too interested in playing at schools when they can perform at much larger venues, but luckily we're a part of a bigger university with its own concert venue. We also work with other post-secondary schools in the area to bring the acts our students want!

If you're curious, there's a list of bands that have been to Mac found here!

Hope that answers your question!
Old 07-11-2012 at 10:50 PM   #12
Chris23
Account Locked

Thanks for the updates!

msuevents says thanks to Chris23 for this post.
Old 07-12-2012 at 04:44 PM   #13
msuevents
MSU Campus Events

Anytime, Chris! We love to hear feedback from you guys because that's who we're here for! We're going to start implementing some more opportunities for people to give us feedback and ideas.

Until then, keep guessing!
Old 07-12-2012 at 05:49 PM   #14
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campus Events
2009-2010
illScarlett
USS
Down With Webster
Stereos
Justin Nozuka
Arkells
Balconies
Protest the Hero
Carly Rae Jepsen
...What.

Does anyone have any footage? I don't believe this.
Old 07-12-2012 at 06:35 PM   #15
Lulie

Liked: 18 Times

i remember that year having:
USS, Down with Webster, Stereos, Justin Nozuka, Arkells....

I cant remember anyone else being there.