MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 4 Stock Elliott779 Computers & Tech 25 10-01-2010 02:25 AM
Cheapest Rogers Phone Plan? Allan Computers & Tech 47 06-07-2010 09:25 PM
Silhouette Stock Challenge! $500 in Prizes!! jeffgreen MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:47 PM
Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?) feonateresa General Discussion 63 07-11-2009 06:26 PM

Whats the cheapest food i can stock up on?

Old 03-17-2011 at 03:43 PM   #1
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

Whats the cheapest food i can stock up on?
Im running low on money, whats something relatively healthy and cheap that i can stock up on till the semester is done?

I know nowadays MI is full of people who give stupid responses, so save your time if you cant help.

Thanks.

nikJ likes this.
Old 03-17-2011 at 03:47 PM   #2
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

mr noodles!!!! and also buy a carton of eggs, a loaf of bread, and you can make all differnt kinds of eggs to eat

Afzal, mcmasterrrrr like this.
Old 03-17-2011
mfattal
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-17-2011 at 03:53 PM   #3
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
hmm cheap food, ask a brown man

NOTE: DONT MEAN FOR THIS TO BE OFFENSIVE I respect all people
Congrats, you're officially a moron.

Can you not read the part where it says DONT RESPOND.

This website is horrendous.

xxsumz says thanks to mcmasterrrrr for this post.

Old 03-17-2011 at 03:53 PM   #4
katrinabell

bananas are cheap. So are apples generally. I agree with the bread and eggs.. also something like peanut butter, I think Fortinos still has it on sale

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to katrinabell for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 03:56 PM   #5
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

bananas annd apples expire though... u could always make pasta its quick n easy (even KD) maybe peanut butter or nutella? but bread expires quickly unless u freeze it
Old 03-17-2011 at 03:58 PM   #6
gallagaj

Oh also, look online for coupons. websites like brandsaver will mail you really good coupons. A box of cereal and some milk can also stretch pretty far. Just google canadian coupons and you can usually find some good ones. Its really worth it.

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to gallagaj for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 04:00 PM   #7
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Instant Noodles, Pancake Mix, Eggs, Bananas, Peanut Butter...this is what I live on, oh and rice

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.

aya017 likes this.
Old 03-17-2011 at 04:06 PM   #8
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

There's a bulk barn in university plaza. Head on over there for large amounts of cheap food.

L'Étoile, mcmasterrrrr all say thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 04:11 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Rice, ramen, rolls, and Rocky Road

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 04:39 PM   #10
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Chef Boyardee. I think right now they're 99 cents each... not the healthiest option but I've been eating that and mr noodle (49 cents!) for lunch/supper exclusively for the past week-ish and haven't died yet. Cooking a proper meal is too overwhelming during midterms haha

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to marcie for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 04:40 PM   #11
MaryS

Liked: 17 Times

It's common that the foods that expire sooner and are healthy are usually more expensive. There's still quite a few ways to eat health while working with a budget. Personally, I like to buy a club size pack of frozen vegetables. Buying each fresh vegetable separately is quite costly and being one person - I usually can't consume everything before it expires. Frozen vegetables still give you the same nutritional value (from what I know... but I'm no nutritionist) but last much longer and are usually much cheaper.

Pasta is another good option. I tend to go with whole wheat or whole grain pasta. There's a million different ways to prepare it while still being cost effective. And best of all, the expiry date isn't a huge issue.

Eggs. I personally love eggs. Protein is usually much more expensive than carbs. Eggs are a fairly inexpensive and don't go bad too soon.

There's a bunch of foods that you can get that are fairly cheap and healthy at the same time. The grocery stores around mac are rip-offs. If you have the time, I'd suggest you take the bus to no-frills where you can do the same amount of grocery shopping in around 60% of the cost.

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to MaryS for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 05:40 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
The grocery stores around mac are rip-offs. If you have the time, I'd suggest you take the bus to no-frills where you can do the same amount of grocery shopping in around 60% of the cost.
Agreed. Go to No Frills or Food Basics. The neighbourhood isn't as nice as Westdale but you'll save so much money.

Like everyone else said: bread, eggs, noodles and pasta sauce. Bread expires quickly but you can eat two pieces of peanut butter toast for breakfast every day and it'll be used up before it goes bad.
Old 03-17-2011 at 05:49 PM   #13
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Cheapest most healthy meals I can think of consist of rice and some kind of can food (tuna).

Here is a easy to make dinner.

Buy:Cooked the rice. Open up the can of tuna and enjoy!

Avoid Instant Noodles. They are great every now and then but you shouldn't make a weekly long meal using them. Its better to just eat cardboard box.

I have gone through a Instant Noodles only diet and (UGH) trust me, your colon will hate you. Same with frozen dinner diet.

There is a reason why poor countries love rice. Its cheap and will fill you up. All you need is a meat and every now and then some vegetables.

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 05:50 PM   #14
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Stock up on all or some/most of the following:

. Eggs
. Bread (if you find it on sale and it expires relatively soon, freeze the unused bread for later) or bagels
. Pasta (whole wheat spaghetti and rice noodles are awesome. So is chow mein)
. Pasta sauce
. Tinned soup (cream ones aren't healthy, but they are good to use as sauces for vegetables)
. Peanut/almond butter
. Bananas and apples, for immediate consumption
. Frozen vegetables
. Seafood, if it's offered cheap. I don't know your budget, but salmon costs about $6. If you can afford that, buy it
. POTATOES. Cannot tell you how much they fill you up and there are infinite ways to enjoy them
. Again, if you can manage, perhaps some chicken. Depending on how much you use every time you eat it, it can go a long way considering it's frozen
. Rice
. Canned tuna

Remember, the key is to get creative with what you have. If you have a crapload of condiments, use them in creative ways.

Last edited by AelyaS : 03-17-2011 at 05:57 PM.

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to AelyaS for this post.

Afzal likes this.