MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 4 Stock Elliott779 Computers & Tech 25 10-01-2010 02:25 AM
Cheapest Rogers Phone Plan? Allan Computers & Tech 47 06-07-2010 09:25 PM
Silhouette Stock Challenge! $500 in Prizes!! jeffgreen MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:47 PM
Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?) feonateresa General Discussion 63 07-11-2009 06:26 PM

Whats the cheapest food i can stock up on?

Old 03-17-2011 at 05:55 PM   #16
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

it has been said plenty of times.. .but worth another mention RAMEN!

mcmasterrrrr says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:00 PM   #17
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post

Avoid Instant Noodles. They are great every now and then but you shouldn't make a weekly long meal using them. Its better to just eat cardboard box.
Is it really that bad? I think it would be my best option with the amount of money i have left haha.

Thanks for all the responses too, aside from that one moron.
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:02 PM   #18
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Bread and CHEESE SLICES. Grilled cheese sandwiches go a long way....
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:08 PM   #19
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Bread and CHEESE SLICES. Grilled cheese sandwiches go a long way....

if you're looking for a healthier alternative ... spray pam instead of using wads of butter on both sides
but make sure you keep the temperature on low otherwise the pam will cook faster than the sandwich

and although it might take longer to cook ... its way healthier .. and try using lowfat/nonfat cheeze and whole wheat bread
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:09 PM   #20
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterrrrr View Post
Is it really that bad? I think it would be my best option with the amount of money i have left haha.

Thanks for all the responses too, aside from that one moron.
Instant Noodles aka Ramen is really _that_ bad.

They don't fill you up that much in comparison to rice or other noddles. If you compared, they aren't that cheap. Its better to buy rice.

Another advantage that rice has compared to other stuff like breads, is that its easier to store them for a long time. Bread you will have to freeze them and might be hard if you have limited fridge space. Rice, you can buy a 18 pounds bag ($15 dollars I think) and eat for the whole month.

The only other good alternative to rice is dry noodle like spaghetti. For me, I don't see spaghetti as a good enough food to stock up. It is very limited on what can go with it. With rice, you can combine it with almost any dish. Leftover rice can even be stir fried to create fried rice!

So yea, with whatever money you have, its better to stock up on rice than other carbohydrate alternative.

Don't think of going on a Ramen diet. I don't want to get into the details but your daily number 2 trip won't be pleasant. Don't forget the high sodium content in the soup.

Last edited by PHLN : 03-17-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:18 PM   #21
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Instant Noodles aka Ramen is really _that_ bad.

They don't fill you up that much in comparison to rice or other noddles. If you compared, they aren't that cheap. Its better to buy rice.

Another advantage that rice has compared to other stuff like breads, is that its easier to store them for a long time. Bread you will have to freeze them and might be hard if you have limited fridge space. Rice, you can buy a 18 pounds bag ($15 dollars I think) and eat for the whole month.

The only other good alternative to rice is dry noodle like spaghetti. For me, I don't see spaghetti as a good enough food to stock up. It is very limited on what can go with it. With rice, you can combine it with almost any dish. Leftover rice can even be stir fried to create fried rice!

So yea, with whatever money you have, its better to stock up on rice than other carbohydrate alternative.

Don't think of going on a Ramen diet. I don't want to get into the details but your daily number 2 trip won't be pleasant. Don't forget the high sodium content in the soup.
Bacon...just for PHLN
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:26 PM   #22

Liked: 8 Times

Here are some cheap eating techniques;
Don't waste anything, ever. Don't eat partial meals, or worse let food go bad.

I know Mac BreadBin used to do a good food box, which is a huge box of produce for like $12, split on one of those with a roommate. You'll be blown away how much food you get for like $6.

Go to metro late at night (11pm +), and late on Sunday and grab the sale flier, walk around grab what is on sale. This is a great way to get meats, ive found stuff that has been marked down more than 50%, you have to be diligent and willing to buy what they have, but its amazing. just go home a freeze the meat, and you're good to go.

Sale shopping in general is a good way to go, stuff like frozen pizzas can go from a total waste of money to a fantastic deal. keep in mind what the sale amount is though, 10% off is not what you are looking for, you are looking for 50% off. I spent a full year during which time almost everything I bought was on 30% plus sale, I saved huge. Its really easy to do as well. Its all about the time of day and week you go though, if you go at noon on the weekend you're gonna get screwed.

As for specific foods;
-Milk is great, contrary to popular belief it is not expensive, at metro you can get a days worth of calories for ~$4.
-Of course Pastas and rices are cheap, try to grab whole grain because a carb heavy diet blows, anything you can do to create some variety is good.
-Kraft dinner and its knock offs when it is on sale are good.
-Potatoes are really cheap
-and some of the other stuff mentioned previously(SOME not all)

If all else fails keep in mind there is a student food bank which can help out, i think its anonymous too.
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:37 PM   #23
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Instant noodles and grilled cheese.

I find grilled cheese more filling.

1. Melt lots of butter in pan
2. Put bread in pan
3. Put cheese on bread
4. Put another piece of bread on top
5. ????
6. Profit

Super unhealthy...

Last edited by Desda : 03-17-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:43 PM   #24
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

make your own willy dog . aha
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:47 PM   #25
igmelin

Liked: 4 Times

Canned brown beans!!
Old 03-17-2011 at 08:15 PM   #26
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Just keep an eye out for event posters that say stuff like "Free Refreshments" or "Free Pizza and Pop".

britb, justinsftw like this.
Old 03-17-2011 at 08:51 PM   #27
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Bacon...just for PHLN
Pfft! I'm high price. Bacon ain't for the poor. Go eat Chicken if you want to be cheap.
Old 03-17-2011 at 09:22 PM   #28
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammyt View Post
make your own willy dog . aha
Does anyone know what the common name for their "Smoking Willy" is? All I know is that it's German.
Old 03-17-2011 at 10:03 PM   #29
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Does anyone know what the common name for their "Smoking Willy" is? All I know is that it's German.
I haven't had one of those in forever. I think it's a Bratwurst though.

justinsftw says thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 11:10 PM   #30
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by igmelin View Post
Canned brown beans!!
This. You can get cans of these for under a dollar. A can will fill you up, and it has a fair amount of protein in it, and other good vitamins too. Also pretty damn easy to cook at exam time. Open a can and heat in a pot :p