MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with my OSAP? GregoryVV Financial Aid 1 08-17-2010 01:04 AM
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG -timetable MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-12-2010 10:33 AM
Wrong Address goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-30-2009 03:01 AM
What is wrong with the timetable link Rob Mac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-10-2008 09:58 PM
Am I doing something wrong here? kacey24 Academics 4 09-29-2007 10:09 PM

What's wrong with McMaster?

Old 06-24-2011 at 02:00 PM   #16
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Agreed. I don't see why people ***** so much about mac. MUGSI/SOLAR does suck during registration times, but that's a work in progress though.

I'd add 1280 to that list. It serves as a restaurant/bar, a packed nightclub, and a venue for various musical acts, some of which max out capacity.
Old 06-24-2011 at 02:16 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The only things I agree with are 19 and 27, everything else... nonono...
Old 06-24-2011 at 02:37 PM   #18
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
The only things I agree with are 19 and 27, everything else... nonono...
Not even with #4?
Old 06-24-2011 at 03:44 PM   #19
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

McMaster is alright, but by no means would I consider it 'amazing'. It's pretty ordinary in most regards. Other than research, I can't really think of anything that McMaster does/has better than a lot of the other Canadian universities... other than that our tuition is a bit cheaper than average.

The only things I can really think of that differentiate McMaster are things that are worse about it, such as:

1. Mugsi/SOLAR. I've heard people ***** about U of T's ROSI system (which I've used and is pretty great). They didn't believe me when I explained SOLAR/MUGSI to them. It's also rare (from what I can tell) to have to fight extremely hard to get any decent electives at most other schools.

2. Our campus is not as nice as a lot of people seem to think it is. I was at Waterloo recently, and I have to say - it's waaaayyy better than ours. They don't have roads running all over the place, the fields don't flood for ~6 months of the year and they have a friggin' dinosaur museum on campus. Their new engineering building is also way cooler than ours, and can actually be used by most people in engineering (not just first years and B-Tech like ours).

3. We have the worst atmosphere ever. Seriously; if you want food at 3 AM - you've got basically Gino's Pizza and that's it.

Set all that aside, and all that's left is an okay university. Stop trying to convince yourself that this place is amazing. It's a decent university and that's it.

...?! likes this.
Old 06-24-2011 at 04:42 PM   #20
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
McMaster is alright, but by no means would I consider it 'amazing'. It's pretty ordinary in most regards. Other than research, I can't really think of anything that McMaster does/has better than a lot of the other Canadian universities... other than that our tuition is a bit cheaper than average.

The only things I can really think of that differentiate McMaster are things that are worse about it, such as:

1. Mugsi/SOLAR. I've heard people ***** about U of T's ROSI system (which I've used and is pretty great). They didn't believe me when I explained SOLAR/MUGSI to them. It's also rare (from what I can tell) to have to fight extremely hard to get any decent electives at most other schools.

2. Our campus is not as nice as a lot of people seem to think it is. I was at Waterloo recently, and I have to say - it's waaaayyy better than ours. They don't have roads running all over the place, the fields don't flood for ~6 months of the year and they have a friggin' dinosaur museum on campus. Their new engineering building is also way cooler than ours, and can actually be used by most people in engineering (not just first years and B-Tech like ours).

3. We have the worst atmosphere ever. Seriously; if you want food at 3 AM - you've got basically Gino's Pizza and that's it.

Set all that aside, and all that's left is an okay university. Stop trying to convince yourself that this place is amazing. It's a decent university and that's it.
1. thats true
2. I'm pretty sure if you took a poll you'd find you are the odd one out with that opinion. Also 6 months of flooding is a bit of a stretch.

I don't really know how you can claim a school without a dinosaur museum is a negative aspect of it. How many dinosaur museums are there in Canadian universities? One? That's a plus for Waterloo not a negative for Mac

Same thing with ETB you can't claim its a negative because you don't think its as nice as Waterloo's, just because it might not be #1 doesn't mean its a negative. I also didn't know any first year engineers that really used ETB...

3. pita pit is open late although not on campus. That is a good point. Although do most schools have places on campus that are open really late?

Interesting point about 3 I'm not sure about that one yet but still so far only REAL negative I can see is MUGSI

Wow I can't believe Western has 14, is there campus bigger? I might have to remove the tim hortons positive about McMaster

DMe3 likes this.
Old 06-24-2011 at 05:41 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think ROSI really depends on when you are on it. They have the order thing, but when that system is open to everyone afterwards it's pretty ridiculous. They also have a 2 stage process to select courses, but unlike ours if the server is busy you have to start back at stage one (Where as if you don't get into SOLAR, you just close it and open it again). At least that's how it was 3-4 years ago when I had to help my brother select electives.
Old 06-24-2011 at 05:48 PM   #22
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:

I recently did a campus tour of Waterloo (My brother is starting there next year) and I disagree. Their campus is nice, but a lot of the building are very very ugly. Though the new ones are super cool. It balances out to "meh". They also lack a lot of the nice greenery/open space we have AND they deff don't have the pretty old buildings (which I love at Mac).
Though I agree the Dinosaur building blew me away and I was a bit jelly. But it's still not great enough to give Waterloo better campus than mac imo.
And the flooding is pretty. We get temp ponds ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
16. No douchebag identity
26. website doesn't make things impossible to learn about (cough cough UofT Queen's McGill)
28. MacInsiders (thanks Chevalier)
16. Not sure....When I meet randoms and say I go to Mac, they reply with "You must be a party girl" 0_o Maybe I just associate party=douche thanks to Western, but it seemed like a weird response to going to Mac.

26. So true. I remember going through all the other uni sites and getting so pissed at how fail they were. Mac's was so much easier to use.

28. So true. This actually makes life so much easier...I found it so helpful in first year/pre-first year.

Last edited by crazyfree : 06-24-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2011 at 07:25 PM   #23
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I agree about the problem with timmies not serving sandwiches/soup x( majorly sucks. but oh well, I'm glad there are timmies at all.

I might argue that we need cheaper meals in general, though. Centro's prices are unreasonable for us off-campus kids with no time to make our lunches but no fancy meal plan either. xD

I loveeee the fact that macinsiders exists. I don't know what I'd do without it. All the latest news is here and it's great for getting quick answers and just socializing with other macsters.

Another good point about mac is how easy it is to find admission information when you're in grade 12. I didn't apply to U of T because navigating through their site was a nightmare and I couldn't even find the admissions requirements D;

Coming from a highschool with a dire lack of funding in the science department, as a science student at mac I was blown away by all the cool equipment and clean glassware in the chem/bio labs. I think the bio department is pretty cheap when it comes to first years, though, because there are always shortages of material/not enough equipment/equipment is too old in the bio labs.

ohhh and our libraries. <3 my absolute favourite part of mcmaster hands down. thodeeee~ lyons media centreee~
Old 06-24-2011 at 08:26 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

My only problems with Mac are MUGSI/SOLAR, the ridiculously expensive food and the lack of debit anywhere besides UM and 1280.

icecubz likes this.
Old 06-24-2011 at 10:53 PM   #25
AnythingReally

Liked: 8 Times

You should put "squirrels" under positive.

DMe3, Faer, mary357, RyanC, soltintal like this.
Old 06-24-2011 at 10:57 PM   #26
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:

To each his own, but as you have the right to think what you do about this university, we are also able to love every single aspect of it, right down to the mice that may be found in TSH B128 (if you had Classics 1B03 during term 1, you'll understand this) and having to put up with Mugsi/Solar. Personally, I know that I don't have to convince myself that this place is amazing, I know that this is exactly what I was looking for when I chose this university over Queen's, Western, and Brock.

sinnersdrown likes this.
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:12 PM   #27
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Apparently at Waterloo, when students do their course selections, the university accommodates them, rather than us having to accommodate the professors.
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:35 PM   #28
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayalew29 View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I dont quite understand what u mean by #27
Probably meant that our undergraduate calendar is pretty organized and has a nice design to it. I agree.

justinsftw, UlteriorMtve like this.
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:48 PM   #29
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

AND DEER!! and racoons!
Old 06-24-2011 at 11:49 PM   #30
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMe3 View Post
AND DEER!! and racoons!
And squirrels that aren't afraid of anything!

EDIT: Stole AnythingReally's post...