MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with my OSAP? GregoryVV Financial Aid 1 08-17-2010 01:04 AM
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG -timetable MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-12-2010 10:33 AM
Wrong Address goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-30-2009 03:01 AM
What is wrong with the timetable link Rob Mac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-10-2008 09:58 PM
Am I doing something wrong here? kacey24 Academics 4 09-29-2007 10:09 PM

What's wrong with McMaster?

Old 06-29-2011 at 06:22 PM   #91
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That statement doesn't make sense.

But I would like to add that although it would cost more to hire profs in terms of their salary, the biggest cost would be to upgrade all their research facilities to be state of the art in order to get research profs to teach at McMaster.
What I meant about getting better profs is that there are only a certain number of profs available in the world, there is a limited supply. Money can' t make better profs, the only solution is to basically convince the top profs to come to your school rather than all of the others. Money isn't everything for prof's and anyone for that matter so unless we are taking about paying ridiculous amounts for great profs like Manchester City way overpaying for soccer players its not so cut and dry to hire good profs.

I agree with the research facilities and I feel McMaster does very well in research, that's why I'm doubting this claim of bad profs at our school. I think its more an issue of this one person disagreeing with university teaching methods rather than a problem with our profs
Old 06-29-2011 at 06:23 PM   #92
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Typical attitude on these threads. As soon as someone points out something negative about mac, they get all defensive like they're married to McMaster. And instead choose to ignore reality and facts. Which I understand when you're that much invested in the school already. But if most students adopt this attitude it leaves no room for improvements.

In the end, I believe it's the students' voices that shape a school.
The criticism of the profs was in no way reality or a fact, it was just one person's opinion. Having a valid point and opinion isn't "getting all defensive", getting all defensive implies grasping at straws and holding a weak argument. I haven't been show any evidence that McMaster's profs are bad other than this one person's opinion so of course I am going to doubt this claim.

Can you actually come up with a proper rebuttal or are you only capable of subjective personal responses?

AelyaS likes this.
Old 06-29-2011 at 06:32 PM   #93
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I find that people's opinions of professors varies greatly. I have had the opposite experience with professors. Only a few that I disliked. The rest I found decent or better. (I have taken/are in the process of taking 29 courses so its not like I've only had a tiny sample). To be quite frank though, I think a lot of the first year courses in science could be online and it would be essentially neutral to the quality of teaching. I think replacing the 6 hours of lecture for Bio 1A03 (assuming two sections are run) with 6 1 hour optional tutorials in smaller rooms (like BSB 108) with the profs as well as online lectures would be something I would have vastly preferred.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 06-30-2011 at 05:58 PM   #94
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

Mugsi is just the tip of the iceberg.

The complementary electives for engineering is ridiculous.

And , in engineering, they keep changing the courses for programs every year. It's hard to know what you are taking next year because they change the courses at the last minute.
Old 07-01-2011 at 10:21 PM   #95
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
Mugsi is just the tip of the iceberg.

The complementary electives for engineering is ridiculous.

And , in engineering, they keep changing the courses for programs every year. It's hard to know what you are taking next year because they change the courses at the last minute.
I wouldn't really consider it last minute, they release the course calendars in April or May don't they?

And are the changes really substantial? I hope they don't change your desire to enter a particular program..that would suck.
Old 07-01-2011 at 10:24 PM   #96
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
I wouldn't really consider it last minute, they release the course calendars in April or May don't they?
In end of may.

I remember looking at the courses for Elec Eng II the day the 2nd year choice was due in april. Then, when I got accepted, couple of days ago, I looked and it did change.
Old 07-01-2011 at 10:25 PM   #97
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
In end of may.

I remember looking at the courses for Elec Eng II the day the 2nd year choice was due in april. Then, when I got accepted, couple of days ago, I looked and it did change.
Damn that sucks, I think I remember reading a thread about this very situation. (Maybe it was you that posted it, not really sure )
Old 07-01-2011 at 10:46 PM   #98
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

haha yeahh! it really grows on you
Old 07-02-2011 at 08:59 PM   #99
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

7 pages about mcmuffin U and not a word about how terrible health science people are?