MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One full year OR 2 half year courses? ak21 Academics 5 07-13-2011 04:55 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
2nd Year in 3rd Year Courses. Bad idea? abbyabs Academics 16 07-09-2010 10:50 PM
3rd and 4th year courses sunny Academics 3 06-10-2010 08:51 PM
First year taking 2nd year courses Z3phyr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-05-2010 12:51 PM

which courses do i need to take first year?

Old 05-02-2012 at 02:52 PM   #1
ErinSahota

Liked: 0 Times

which courses do i need to take first year?
I want to do law and i dont know which courses to take
Old 05-02-2012 at 03:58 PM   #2
toocute

Liked: 4 Times

Anything in Political Science would be good, Labour Studies as well
Old 05-02-2012 at 06:27 PM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Well that depends on what program you've been accepted into. Each has different degree requirements. But, if you want to go into law aim for social science stuff.
Old 05-02-2012 at 07:14 PM   #4
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Correct if Im wrong, but as far as I know, law schools in Ontario accept people from any program.

...Just did some quick googling, and here's an example I found from UofT's J.D. program

Quote:
What should I study to prepare for law school?

There is no prescribed "pre-law program." Students at the law school come with undergraduate degrees in a wide range of disciplines including commerce, engineering, philosophy, English, political science, economics, biology, sociology and international relations to name just a few.

Source: http://www.law.utoronto.ca/prosp_std...=983#prepa re
I think the same applies with a lot of Ontario Med schools, they accept people from pretty much any program (again correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 05-02-2012 at 07:22 PM   #5
baodo1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

that is true, but it is better to go for social science because there is an emphasis on writing, formulating arguments, and research. There are the things that you will be doing in law school and dong as a lawyer
Old 05-02-2012 at 07:54 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Correct if Im wrong, but as far as I know, law schools in Ontario accept people from any program.

...Just did some quick googling, and here's an example I found from UofT's J.D. program

I think the same applies with a lot of Ontario Med schools, they accept people from pretty much any program (again correct me if I'm wrong)
You're right Bernardo. No need for corrections.

Mepper likes this.
Old 05-02-2012 at 09:09 PM   #7
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

i don't know much about law stuff but i would say if you know what type of things you might want to do with law, maybe take some courses that could help, ex if you want to be like a family lawyer maybe take some sociology courses (either as a minor or even as electives if you dont want it to be a major)
Old 05-02-2012 at 09:37 PM   #8
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Aside from what's been mentioned, I feel that taking courses in Philosophy, Math, and maybe even Computer Science would be very helpful.

If you look at the LSAT you can see that it focuses on logical and analytical reasoning, and reading comprehension. Courses in philosophy and math would most likely help you hone these skills (especially courses like Logic (PHILOS 2B03 I think?)) Anyways, you should probably ask an academic advisor to verify this

EDIT: Also, found a relevant link on YahooAnswers "What college courses are the best to take to get prepared for the Lsat?"

Last edited by Mepper : 05-02-2012 at 09:46 PM.