MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Career Fair -Networking Reception Graduating Students Alison MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-18-2010 02:27 PM
Are you attending McMaster Career Fair 2010? Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-21-2010 11:23 AM
ECE Poster Day today in CIBC hall DannyV General Discussion 4 04-06-2010 09:05 PM
Career Fair 2008 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-13-2008 03:13 PM
Career Fair 2008 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-27-2008 10:14 AM

Who's Hiring 2010? Career Fair March 11, CIBC Hall 10-2:30pm

Opportunities Expo –Who’s Hiring 2010?

Be savvy with your employment and career! Join us at the Career Fair!

From health and wellness, energy and information technology to financial services and medical technology, a diverse group of employers representing many different sectors will be at McMaster tomorrow March 11 will be targeting graduate students for full time position as well as part time positions and summer employment. They are seeking Graduates from Engineering, Science, Kinesiology, Physiotherapy, Humanities just to name a few.

The event will run from 10:00 - 2:30 in CIBC Hall 3 Floor MUSC.

African Lion Safari, Just Energy, Stryker, TD Canada Trust, RCMP, Coffey Geotechnics Inc. and many more -- 40 companies attending!

Resume critiquing and Networking Techniques 9:30-2:00 CIBC Lounge.

The list of employers will be updated regularly, please check OSCAR for the most current information.

laurapo likes this.
Published by
First Year Experience Office

Article Tools

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Who's Hiring PSTR_2010_lr Final March 11 2010.pdf (553.9 KB, 50 views)
Deleted Post
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:02 PM   #2
kirchhoff
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Alumni

Liked: 2 Times
This looks fantastic. Is there a dress code, or should I just wear business casual?
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:14 PM   #3
Nina M
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 0 Times
Are these companies taking resumes? Should I also prepare a cover letter?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:49 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
What about non-graduate students? Is there employment opportunities for these people?

Old 03-10-2010 at 01:52 PM   #5
kangs6
Program: Pharmacology
Year: Third
Residence: Les Prince CA, Brandon alumni

Liked: 20 Times
What should I put down under objective or profile when I don`t know exactly which positions I will be applying for tomorrowÉ
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:55 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangs6 View Post
What should I put down under objective or profile when I don`t know exactly which positions I will be applying for tomorrowÉ
Does your department provide some sort of resume outline?

Because in the business one they provide us Commies, it actually doens't have an objective anywhere.

Also: does anyone go to these alone? I keep missing out on all these things b/c I'd feel so awkward not having anyone to talk to or seem occupied with.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-10-2010 at 02:25 PM   #7
Alison
McMaster Employee

Liked: 1 Time
yes, business attire most definitely ! Bring your resume they will be accepting them. Also, the Career Fair is for graduating students and NON graduating students, they will be hiring full time, part-time, summer positions etc.
Old 03-10-2010 at 02:27 PM   #8
Rampea2
Program: Linguistic Cognitive Science & Psychology
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 3 Times
@ lawleypop

I'm Alison's assistant at Career Services and just so you know, our office provides a resume outline. If you want to pop into the office just ask one of the girls at the front desk for a copy of this document.
Old 03-10-2010 at 02:28 PM   #9
Alison
McMaster Employee

Liked: 1 Time
No need to include an objective in your resume, there will on-site resume critiquing tomorrow in the CIBC lounge 3rd Floor MUSC, you can edit and print out your resume once you receive guidance from one of our career counselors!
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:51 PM   #10
pedlark

Liked: 2 Times
Prepare in advance ...
Looking to do some preparation tonight ... take a look on OSCAR to see what employers will be in attendance. Do some research on your favorite organizations to see what positions they are hiring for and how these relate to your background. Think about how you will introduce yourself and practice aloud. Career Services' staff will be on-site in the CIBC Lounge to offer advice to all students attending the fair. Stop by and practice your introduction ... we will give you some feedback!

Rampea2 likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:54 AM   #11
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 454 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
yes, business attire most definitely ! Bring your resume they will be accepting them. Also, the Career Fair is for graduating students and NON graduating students, they will be hiring full time, part-time, summer positions etc.
Probably should've read this *before* I bussed to the student center this morning... -__-
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:59 AM   #12
Rampea2
Program: Linguistic Cognitive Science & Psychology
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 3 Times
It's okay Jeffrey! Still come to the fair!! And bring your resume!
Old 03-11-2010 at 11:06 AM   #13
andrew22
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 238 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedlark View Post
Do some research on your favorite organizations to see what positions they are hiring for and how these relate to your background.
will the greek anarchists be hiring?

I guess the shift of the university as an institution to rank order/train kids to work for corporations is complete now huh? : )
Old 03-11-2010 at 01:34 PM   #14
manu
jack
Faculty: Science
Year: Masters

Liked: 75 Times
did anyone get hired on the spot?
Old 03-11-2010 at 03:00 PM   #15
lux
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Other

Liked: 318 Times
Scams?
I did some background research on some of the companies at the event and many of them were getting bad reviews. Some of them even considered scams. I personally felt that some of them were actual legitimate companies looking for students to hire, but the majority of them were just putting on a suit with nice pictures and trying luring you in. When I found out that one of them was a Tobacco company i was pretty shocked...

Anyways, my point is, why can't McMaster regulate what companies are allowed to be at this event, because I'm pretty sure that they don't want their students to learn first hand about these bad companies.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search