MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives vs full course load headphones Academics 2 08-13-2010 01:32 PM
Registration Section Full??? kammy435 Academics 2 08-12-2010 02:09 PM
Most electives are full already? thisisje Academics 6 07-02-2010 11:00 AM
registration birko First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-28-2010 01:13 PM
Registration TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-15-2009 10:43 PM

Why are all the electives full before course registration?

Old 07-02-2008 at 02:08 PM   #1
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Why are all the electives full before course registration?
I'm in first year engineering, and I went on SOLAR to choose courses at 12:00 AM this morning. After getting in (took about 10 minutes of waiting) I chose all my courses. Problem is, when it came to choosing the elective I wanted, German 1Z06, it was full. When I tried to choose my second, third, fourth, and fifth choices, they were all full too. The majority seems to be full...

Were the electives open before Level 1 Engineering students were even permitted access to the courses? If so, this seems extremely unfair, especially to the Humanities people who are even after us. It's almost like an unjustified punishment to those who are first year...

Please tell me that more seats or more classes open later on... there is no way in hell that I want to take what's left, such as Greek or Psychology.
Old 07-02-2008 at 04:21 PM   #2
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Read this

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1860 6

"4. ELECTIVE COURSES FULL? WAIT UNTIL SOLAR OPENS TO THE FACULTY THAT THE COURSE IS IN.
If you're trying to pick your electives and you notice that a lot of them are full and in a different faculty (eg. Humanities) then wait until the course selection date for that faculty, chances are that seats will open up once their day comes around. So if you're trying to get into English, for example, wait until Thursday when Humanities I students are allowed into SOLAR and you may notice more available seats. "
Old 07-02-2008 at 06:42 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

As to why...we don't know.

I know this year was a large one for acceptances at Mac, and if you combine that with three years of increasing numbers, that may have something to do with it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-02-2008 at 08:07 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidyusufani View Post
Read this

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1860 6

"4. ELECTIVE COURSES FULL? WAIT UNTIL SOLAR OPENS TO THE FACULTY THAT THE COURSE IS IN.
If you're trying to pick your electives and you notice that a lot of them are full and in a different faculty (eg. Humanities) then wait until the course selection date for that faculty, chances are that seats will open up once their day comes around. So if you're trying to get into English, for example, wait until Thursday when Humanities I students are allowed into SOLAR and you may notice more available seats. "
Oh wow, I misread that the first time. I thought it said that you have to wait until your faculty opens registration, not the one that the course is in. That makes a lot more sense :p thanks!
Old 07-02-2008 at 11:17 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Well, that turned out to be a bunch of bullshit. No new seats opened, and there are no remaining open elective classes. Guess I'll have to complain to somebody, because I'm missing an elective due to the course selection servers locking up.
Old 07-02-2008 at 11:49 PM   #6
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, that turned out to be a bunch of bullshit. No new seats opened, and there are no remaining open elective classes. Guess I'll have to complain to somebody, because I'm missing an elective due to the course selection servers locking up.
Ya absolutely nothing left...

I got into music as one elective now I need one more...
Old 07-02-2008 at 11:49 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I went on at 1158.. and no seats opened at 12 too :(
Old 07-03-2008 at 02:07 AM   #8
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

MMEDIA 1B03 is full when I went on 12:00am today. How could this be if Humanities students first registered today? I guess it's only available to this faculty and no one else?
Old 07-03-2008 at 02:22 AM   #9
Grant1313

Try again at 3.30
I got into that class and I got into Solar at 2.33
Old 07-03-2008 at 04:57 AM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

i tried for my electives of choice again at 5:54 AM and it was full...ah actually everything that is fun seems to be full... so did any humanities people get their courses or is there some error?

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-03-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2008 at 05:40 AM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
i tried for my electives of choice again at 5:54 AM and it was full...ah actually everything that is fun seems to be full... so did any humanities people get their courses or is there some error?
Ya, I'm wondering too. Solar did seem to crash at around 12:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2008 at 10:28 AM   #12
zaki

i wanted theater n film 1b03 .... but it was full right in the morning, is it possible more seats are going to open up, or did that faculty already have their course choices and i have no chance of getting that course unless someone in it already, decides to drop it?
Old 07-03-2008 at 05:36 PM   #13
Jayuna

I asked this question when I called the associate dean of sci office.

Actually, most of the courses are full because at the moment they're being held for those students who need those courses to go into second year programs. however, she told me that when SOLAR opens back up on July14th, many spots that were once "full" will be open for the entire school. At this point we can drop and add courses that are now available.

I was basically told to choose random electives now if the ones I wanted were full, since they would most likely open up on July 14th!!! ^-^

Honours MoleBio and Genetics, McMaster class of 2012

Chad, chaudhary.ak, Lauren.7, lorend, Nosferatu, Saleha, sinthusized, stevennevets all say thanks to Jayuna for this post.
Old 07-03-2008 at 05:54 PM   #14
zaki

ok but it says the last day i can make modifications to my courses is july 8th :S how are we gonna make changes to our drpo n add courses if its gonna be on jul 14th when we only get till july 8th/9th
Old 07-03-2008 at 05:56 PM   #15
zaki

ooooooooppsies never mind, it says its the lastday before solar opens up for all students hehe thanks for the help jayuna u saved me ... and are u sure that solar opens up july 14th again?