MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a doctor on campus? Faer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-24-2010 04:31 PM
Doctor Pulled Over Trying to Save Patient jordan19 General Discussion 3 08-22-2010 12:29 AM
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine mcgaffme Academics 4 07-06-2010 10:21 AM

why do you want to be a doctor?

Old 11-03-2010 at 05:55 PM   #1
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 3 Times

why do you want to be a doctor?
One of my friends had this interview for a dental school, and the person was asking him why he wanted to be a doctor/dentist.
So he said, just like what an average person would say, that he loves helping out people in medical ways. Then the interviewer asked him why he is not applying for the Red Cross or stuff like that.

Well, as a person who is interested in the same area, I am very concerned with this question. I can be very honest and tell them that it's for the money and the stability of the job, but that just sounds wrong for some reason.

I think this question is like one of those questions which the right answer can not be the right answer. Or you can be really smart and twist the answer in a way that sounds more "right".

Almost all the students in the science program pretty much have the same goal,
so um why do u guys want to be a doctor or a dentist?
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:11 PM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

i find this not true not every science kid wants to be doctor or dentist

dhyong, Lois, lorend, nerual like this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:15 PM   #3
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

It's an option, but I <3 the idea of doing cutting edge research in genetics/molecular biology fields so... naaaaaaaaaaaah to the MD headache.

If I had to say something I'd say that I like puzzles. Even though 99% of everyday medicine in hospitals and whatnot is boring tedium and repetition, the novel 1% would definitely spark interest.

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:15 PM   #4
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
i find this not true not every science kid wants to be doctor or dentist
Every brown one does.

SCHWING! (untrue)

In reality it is based on a mix of arrogance, and being under the illusion that it's glorious "once you get past the hard part". Guess what kids, the fun never ends in practice. Ever. Enjoy going to seminars and sleeping in hotel rooms that smell of vomit just to stay up to date.

In my experience its like 50% white kids, 35% brown kids, 10% asians and 5% everyone else.

Last edited by Kendoon : 11-03-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2010 at 08:34 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgn View Post
One of my friends had this interview for a dental school, and the person was asking him why he wanted to be a doctor/dentist.
So he said, just like what an average person would say, that he loves helping out people in medical ways. Then the interviewer asked him why he is not applying for the Red Cross or stuff like that.

Well, as a person who is interested in the same area, I am very concerned with this question. I can be very honest and tell them that it's for the money and the stability of the job, but that just sounds wrong for some reason.

I think this question is like one of those questions which the right answer can not be the right answer. Or you can be really smart and twist the answer in a way that sounds more "right".

The second you get a question like that you drop the word "research" as much as possible. That's the "right" answer in this situation.
Old 11-03-2010 at 08:50 PM   #6
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I dont think that mentioning money or job stability is the "wrong" thing to do in this case. Remember, that the person interviewing is also probably an MD, so if you you were to bs a little but also tell them the reality of things, they might be able to relate to you even better.

Ive also been told by a doctor on one of the interview committees (at a certain school), that over exaggeration can harm you. For instance, I volunteer at a major hospital, and lets admit it, most volunteers dont really play a crucial role in the hospital, they just help out with small things. It not like they can touch patients or do other stuff. This being said, there are students out there that will bs that they play a major role when they volunteer. The doctor interviewing you can easily tell if your making it up since they've probably worked in a hospital all their life.
Old 11-03-2010 at 08:56 PM   #7
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I thought this would be a helpful link for this thread. It's the manual for the interviewers.
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/docume...e rs_2006.pdf

here is one particularly interesting part
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interviewer Guidelines
Recognize that there are no right answers for many of the scenarios that applicants will see.
They are simply asked to adopt a position and defend any ideas they put forward, or discuss
the issues raised in the scenarios. You, the interviewer, are an individual who has some
expertise in the topic. You can and will challenge the applicant to express their ideas clearly
and rigorously.
Old 11-03-2010 at 09:48 PM   #8
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgn View Post

This explains why so many doctors are cold. They're in it for the money:(
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:19 PM   #9
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
A lot of the time the money:work ratio is like 1:100

Old 11-03-2010 at 10:20 PM   #10
cellphone

Liked: 5 Times

every other science kid at mac wants to be a medical doctor and there are few that actually know why they want to be one and geniunely do. just cause ure parents want you to do it, does not mean its the best reason.

unfortunately, the main reason ppl want to be a doctor is for the glory and social status. doctors get this special treat that no other profession receives, no matter how hard working they are. It is like reaching the top of hierarchy in terms of careers. You can't say "Im a doctor" and have people think your an underachiever.

a lot of the pre-meds really annoyed me, because they didn't know why they wanted to do it yet they were so ridiculously competitive about it. take a chill pill and relax. your B+ on ure lab is not going to kill your chances of medschool.

I have nothing against med students or doctors, but the attitude I encountered with the pre-med community(which is all of science) was not the greatest.

Be informed, intelligent and step outside the box.
It may lead you to something you actually like.
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:21 PM   #11
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I did data entry for a clinical research project this summer. The research fellow I worked with told me that no one should ever go into medicine for the sole reason of money. It takes a lot of training and commitment and you have to be in it because you really want to, not for money. As well, he said you don't even see the money until you've finished the years and years of training. Also, it all depends what field and the hospital you'll work at, the kind of research you're willing to bring, etc. From what I observed this summer you really need to be passionate about medicine for the career itself, and not the money.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:26 PM   #12
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

If you're in it for the money only, you're not gonna get there, because money, though a valuable commodity, is not the most important thing in life. If you don't have a reason to do it other than money, even if you do become a doctor, you are going to be empty, having money, but not joy.

Old 11-03-2010 at 10:40 PM   #13
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

As the saying goes, money can't buy you happiness

Old 11-03-2010 at 11:02 PM   #14
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
But it CAN buy you stuff that makes you happy! Life-size Storm Troopers, anyone?

Marlowe likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:04 PM   #15
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
If you're in it for the money only, you're not gonna get there, because money, though a valuable commodity, is not the most important thing in life. If you don't have a reason to do it other than money, even if you do become a doctor, you are going to be empty, having money, but not joy.
What if your just fine with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Did you ever really think about that saying? Money CAN buy happiness. We, as humans, get pleasure from things like materialistic goods and guess what, you need MONEY to get that.

Last edited by siefer1322 : 11-03-2010 at 11:10 PM.