MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a doctor on campus? Faer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-24-2010 04:31 PM
Doctor Pulled Over Trying to Save Patient jordan19 General Discussion 3 08-22-2010 12:29 AM
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine mcgaffme Academics 4 07-06-2010 10:21 AM

why do you want to be a doctor?

Old 11-03-2010 at 11:06 PM   #16
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I want to be a doctor so when people ask me who I am, I can say,

"I'm the Doctor"...

crazyfree, jhan523, Marlowe like this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:09 PM   #17
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

u should answer
to help on a community based level, not huge organizations to help those in need or ones in crisis. just be the go to person for the average citizen
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:16 PM   #18
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
every other science kid at mac wants to be a medical doctor and there are few that actually know why they want to be one and geniunely do. just cause ure parents want you to do it, does not mean its the best reason.

unfortunately, the main reason ppl want to be a doctor is for the glory and social status. doctors get this special treat that no other profession receives, no matter how hard working they are. It is like reaching the top of hierarchy in terms of careers. You can't say "Im a doctor" and have people think your an underachiever.

a lot of the pre-meds really annoyed me, because they didn't know why they wanted to do it yet they were so ridiculously competitive about it. take a chill pill and relax. your B+ on ure lab is not going to kill your chances of medschool.

I have nothing against med students or doctors, but the attitude I encountered with the pre-med community(which is all of science) was not the greatest.

Be informed, intelligent and step outside the box.
It may lead you to something you actually like.
+0.5

i've already posted my views before and agree completely on the whole glory/social status that they feel entitled to thing.. but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a goal in mind and striving to reach it..and by this i mean being competitive. Their a pencil pushers who will be content with the b+ and will consider it "mission accomplished" if they make it out "okay" and there are others who run the world..not basking in their accomplishments b/c they are working way too hard to notice....
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:18 PM   #19
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
What if your just fine with that?
Fine's ok, but if that's your only reason, you can make more money doing something else. Don't say, "but what if that's what you want to do for money," because then you're saying you want to do it, not just for money. Don't say, "but that's what I'm good at," because if you're good at that, you, again, can make a lot of money doing something that uses the same skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhorrible View Post
But it CAN buy you stuff that makes you happy! Life-size Storm Troopers, anyone?
I never said it doesn't facilitate some happiness. It plays a part as a factor of sustainability and materialism in a capitalist society. However, I just said that if that's someone's target in becoming a doctor, why not shoot for something else that requires less effort and can make more money.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:23 PM   #20
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
Did you ever really think about that saying? Money CAN buy happiness. We, as humans, get pleasure from things like materialistic goods and guess what, you need MONEY to get that.
I personally find that sad. Material goods make me happy when I have earned them and they're a treat, and even then they're just...things. I have and had little growing up and I appreciated every little thing I had...and they made me happy because they were my precious few things. Not because of what they were, but because they were all I had. I played with sticks and stones and paper when I had to.

Happiness to me is working hard, going outside, laughing with friends, and being with loved ones. Taking a moment to breath. Going for a run. Falling hard and then succeeding. The happiest times of my life have been the least plentiful. Living paycheck to paycheck this summer was the most freeing and lovely time of my life. Money can't buy me laughter, love or natural beauty. All it can buy me is entertainment, sex, and gardens.

The only reason I want money from my job is to be able to provide for my children. I never want to have to hold back on giving them the best because of money. If I didn't want kids I would quite happily work for minimum wage the rest of my life doing things for others.

Old 11-03-2010 at 11:25 PM   #21
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 3 Times

i hate to admit it, but apparently money does not get you full happiness.
ive seen many people who end up committing suicide after winning a big prize lottery
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:25 PM   #22
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

but let me tell you this.
Iphone 4 will get you at least some happiness for sure.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:27 PM   #23
Toast
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgn View Post
ive seen many people who end up committing suicide after winning a big prize lottery
Jesus Christ... Did you call the police, are at least try to talk them out of it?

SC04 likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:29 PM   #24
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Really...

You've 'seen' many people win a big prize lottery and then commit suicide? Or is that just an arbitrary example with no actual backing because you're trying to agree with everyone else?

I'm going to go against the grain and say money is awesome. I don't particularly care for it, but no one can ever have enough money.

And yes, if you wanted only money, why the hell would you try to be a doctor? As stated before, the money:work ratio is stupidly low.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:32 PM   #25
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Really...

You've 'seen' many people win a big prize lottery and then commit suicide? Or is that just an arbitrary example with no actual backing because you're trying to agree with everyone else?

I'm going to go against the grain and say money is awesome. I don't particularly care for it, but no one can ever have enough money.

And yes, if you wanted only money, why the hell would you try to be a doctor? As stated before, the money:work ratio is stupidly low.

Well actually "seen" personally, but i hear those news very often
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:33 PM   #26
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
As the saying goes, money can't buy you happiness
money can allow you to do stuff that you love, without having limitations. like if you won the lottery, you could use that money to go travelling, or to open a ranch where you can take care of horses, or to give it away to people in need... things that DO make you happy. and having a lot of money removes the stressful factors in your life, like worries about not being able to pay bills/needing to work overtime to make enough to cover rent etc.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:35 PM   #27
Toast
Elite Member

@Alchemist11: My response was better.

Quote:
Well actually "seen" personally, but i hear those news very often
What is this I don't even...

Old 11-03-2010 at 11:36 PM   #28
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I personally find that sad. Material goods make me happy when I have earned them and they're a treat, and even then they're just...things. I have and had little growing up and I appreciated every little thing I had...and they made me happy because they were my precious few things. Not because of what they were, but because they were all I had. I played with sticks and stones and paper when I had to.

Happiness to me is working hard, going outside, laughing with friends, and being with loved ones. Taking a moment to breath. Going for a run. Falling hard and then succeeding. The happiest times of my life have been the least plentiful. Living paycheck to paycheck this summer was the most freeing and lovely time of my life. Money can't buy me laughter, love or natural beauty. All it can buy me is entertainment, sex, and gardens.

The only reason I want money from my job is to be able to provide for my children. I never want to have to hold back on giving them the best because of money. If I didn't want kids I would quite happily work for minimum wage the rest of my life doing things for others.
im just curious; have you ever had a job you werent particularly fond of maybe in the summer, where you bust your hump from 9-5 after waking up @ 6:30 in the morning everyday just to see a "few more dollars" in your bank account, money can make you really happy if you know how hard it is to make money nowadays...not making assumptions but u probably dont......
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:43 PM   #29
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Money doesn't by happiness. What you might get is happiness that is temporary, but in the long term you won't be happy. It's like when you get a new car. You feel good but after a month, it would be like nothing. You wouldn't notice the difference if you had a very expensive car or a normal one. And it can also turn you into a greedy monster, and corrupt you. Look at the CEOs and rich people of Wallstreet.

Just think about yourself dying (literally).

What is going to make you die a good death, make you feel that you can sleep in peace.

Money ?

Or knowing that you helped people and you followed your dream ?
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:46 PM   #30
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
money can allow you to do stuff that you love, without having limitations. like if you won the lottery, you could use that money to go travelling, or to open a ranch where you can take care of horses, or to give it away to people in need... things that DO make you happy. and having a lot of money removes the stressful factors in your life, like worries about not being able to pay bills/needing to work overtime to make enough to cover rent etc.
Nah, but that’s what I’m trying to say. The traveling is that much sweeter when it’s something you had to work long and hard to afford. It’s oh so much sweeter when you’re sleeping in train stations to afford food instead. And it makes that more special when it’s something rare that you can’t just get “like that” because you don’t normally have money.
Stress is what makes the good times that much better. If everything were always perfect I wouldn't have a frame of reference to know my life was going well. Whenever things are down I know they’ll get better, and when they do I appreciate them that much more.

Like I said I my previous post…the times when I’m most stressed are when I laugh the most because I find the little things matter so much more. I was once stranded with literally 4 dollars in my bank account, no place to sleep and no food. And my god, it was amazing. I was with my boyfriend stuck in a random city and we’ve never laughed so hard. It’s a bit different when you have kids to provide for, but even then, it brings you closer when you struggle with others. And that closeness, that struggle, brings happiness. Why do you think people in the army have “brothers”? Forming bonds with people through the good and the bad…that brings happiness.

At least that’s how I see it.

Last edited by crazyfree : 11-03-2010 at 11:50 PM.