MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android wifi on campus? secretone Computers & Tech 10 03-09-2011 05:00 PM
iPhone/iTouch on Campus wifi Wonka_Vision Computers & Tech 8 10-15-2009 09:55 PM
Using an iPod Touch with Campus WiFi benjs General Discussion 14 08-23-2008 07:24 PM

How is the wifi on campus?

Old 06-28-2011 at 11:47 AM   #1
Fatalis

Liked: 0 Times

How is the wifi on campus?
Is the wifi connection good on campus? And does it cover the majority of the campus?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:02 PM   #2
musicislife

Liked: 10 Times

Yes, many classrooms have wifi, as do all res common rooms, the student centre, and of course, all libraries. I personally found the connection was okay, except that the server did crash a couple of times during the year.
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:09 PM   #3
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

The only complaint I have is wifi in Thode library... there's some particular cubby spaces where there is no wifi at all, and its annoying to finally find a seat to study, only to realize you have no internet connection :/ But, aside from that, wifi is pretty good everywhere else!
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:16 PM   #4
olive

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
Yes, many classrooms have wifi, as do all res common rooms, the student centre, and of course, all libraries. I personally found the connection was okay, except that the server did crash a couple of times during the year.

almost all res definitely doesn't have wifi
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:33 PM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Most basement hallways do not have Wi-Fi, but you get the signal when you're in (most of?) the rooms.

There's one Edwards room my friend was in where he was close enough to TSH to get MacConnect Wi-Fi along with his network cable.
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:45 PM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

it varies from place to place... GREAT in mdcl.. then horrible in tsh/cnh... bsb is hit or miss
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:08 PM   #7
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Some buildings are defs better than others, but when you're actually connected I found the speed was pretty awesome everywhere. Rez (LP) was easily the best though for me.
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:19 PM   #8
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

i lived next to a study room, and i had an awesome connection;
i didn't need a router or anything, the only time i actually connected it with a cable was when i was using DC++
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:38 PM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
i lived next to a study room, and i had an awesome connection;
i didn't need a router or anything, the only time i actually connected it with a cable was when i was using DC++
If anyone's considering to buy a router for their residence, there are free options that make use of your computer's wireless adapter given that you run Windows 7 or Mac OSX. Essentially these tools I am about to list turns your computer into a hotspot. That way you don't need to buy a router and you can use your smartphone/ipod touch with WiFi.

http://www.connectify.me/ - for Windows 7

http://www.askdavetaylor.com /how_t...i_hotspot.html - instructions here should be fine for Mac OSX.

RyanC likes this.
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:52 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

There is coverage in most places, but there are frequently problems. During the day in the densely populated areas (i.e. the libraries) the wifi routers get saturated and the connection is pretty much unusable. There are also random problems that bring down the school's connection from time to time. Just last year, for example, I believe a construction vehicle was responsible for somehow knocking out the main fibre-line into the school.... which resulted in no connectivity anywhere on campus and no access to Mugsi and Avenue for a couple days.
Old 06-28-2011 at 04:05 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Most classrooms in BSB (aside from those on the ground level) don't have access to wifi, which I find extremely annoying, because although they're usually empty and are perfect places to study, there's no internet >__<;; kind of pathetic considering you can get wifi access at the bus stop across from T13...

hopefully they'll sort this out now that the MSS referrendum passed. but it's not like I'm happy I had to pay an extra 15 dollars either ~__~