MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind Mobile vs Koodo Mobile? Allan Computers & Tech 25 05-26-2013 10:13 AM
Wind Mobile macbaby07 General Discussion 10 08-15-2011 06:56 PM
Wind mobile? Linh Computers & Tech 41 09-06-2010 06:44 PM
Wind Mobile update?? escape Computers & Tech 13 03-21-2010 10:33 PM
Wind Mobile Shows Photos Of Store Chad MacInsiders Announcements 61 12-17-2009 04:14 PM

is Wind Mobile bad?

Old 05-18-2014 at 11:52 AM   #1
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

is Wind Mobile bad?
Just how bad is wind mobile?

I am considering going on it cause i can get everything for 35 dollars. Is it worth it?
Old 05-18-2014 at 02:29 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Hello Entropy! It appears that you have not posted on our forums in a while, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our many forums? The MI community is here to help!

Fine, Chad. I'll post.

I've been with Wind since early 2011 and I've had a reasonably good experience with them.

Pros

- Their plans and promotions offer great value per dollar
- Reliable, "unlimited" data
- Not actually unlimited data, but you're only throttled once you're past the 5gb threshold (down to 1 Mb/s download after 5gb, and 0.25 Mb/s after 6gb), so you can continue to browse Facebook or do other data-light stuff without worrying about paying extra
- I like the unlimited-based model of their plans (as opposed to "100 daytime minutes, 1000 evening and weekend, 400 incoming, 500 texts, 100 MMS" that make it seem like you get a lot more than you actually do)
- No contract required on any of their plans
- 95% of the time, I have no problems with reception on campus

Cons

- Data, even at its best, can be slow at times (the Speedtest app says I get about 6D/1U), and they don't (and probably won't) offer 4G speeds
- 5% of time I get crappy data speeds (most notably in the ABB basement, I haven't had a problem in the BSB, JHE, or Musc basements)
- I lose a call every once in a while, but I'm not actually calling people much so that's not too much of an issue.

Chad, Zachary, ZSimon like this.
Old 05-19-2014 at 05:13 PM   #3
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Haven't heard anything about about them in the Toronto situation, not sure about hamilton.
Old 05-19-2014 at 06:59 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I've been using Wind Mobile for many years now, had no major issues with them. At the beginning when they started the service was hit and miss around McMaster when you went into the basements of TSH, etc. But now the service has greatly improved over the years and is much stronger.

I pay 40 bucks for unlimited Canada and US calls and texts, plus unlimited* data in Canada. But I just saw that they have a 39 dollar plan for unlimited everything including data and roaming in the US!? Can't beat that! Great thing about Wind is there's no contracts, so I can call them up and switch over to a different plan anytime.

If they have a phone that you like (Samsung S4 for example, or Nexus 5 they have for $0 right now), then go for it! Last I checked they still don't have iPhones yet, if you're a huge iPhone lover. But the S4 / Nexus 5 are great phones.

I've driven from Hamilton to Toronto streaming radio through an app over the data network, and it didn't drop out once. So there is a strong network from here to Toronto from what I've experienced, and when I've been in Toronto I have always had a signal.

UPDATE: I called Wind to see the differences with the $40 plan and $39 US/Canada plan. The $40 regular plan is better in my opinion since you get Voicemail included, and get global texting. The Wind 39 plan does not include voicemail or global texting. If you're going to the US and want unlimited roaming data/text/calls then you can always add that as an add-on to the regular accounts for $15/mo.
Old 05-19-2014 at 09:11 PM   #5
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

Wind mobile has poor reception within buildings. Your phone will barely work in any building on campus beside those that are directly attached to student center since the cell tower is there. That means extremely weak signals for MDCL, ETB, BSB, etc.
Old 05-19-2014 at 09:22 PM   #6
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Wind Mobile has inferior reception in many buildings at McMaster University and in the city of Hamilton.

This is because Wind's license on the wireless spectrum only allows them to functionally use only one frequency; 1700 MHz. High frequencies like these have difficulty penetrating dense materials such as concrete or stone. (Think: When your room mate is blasting music, you hear mostly the low frequency bass). It's very likely you'll have strong reception outside, but lose signal completely as soon as you enter a building. In addition, Wind's service network currently runs on 3G technology, which not only has slower speed (as stated by Entropy earlier) but is not as robust as compared to the contemporary 4G/LTE standard.

Conversely, Rogers/Bell/Telus have an entire slew of network frequencies. If I remember correctly, their 3G can operate on either 850 MHz or 1900 MHz, whichever signal is stronger. There is in addition their 4G/LTE network, which Wind does not yet have a license for. This operates as low as 700 MHz, and I believe they also have 2 more operational frequencies. Their 4G speeds are good up to 40 Megabits per second D/U (or 5 megabytes per second). However, this speed does flucuate a lot depending on where you are, but you can still expect 10 Mbits in heavy use areas such as Thode/Mills, which is faster than the local Wi-Fi.

If data speeds and consistent connection are important to you, I would advise against Wind.
Feel free to ask us any additional questions or clarifications.

Source: Engineering student with experience working in the telecommunications field.
Old 05-19-2014 at 10:16 PM   #7
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

If budget is your main concern, might as well go with Public Mobile since they are now part of the Telus network.
Old 05-23-2014 at 01:28 PM   #8
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Wind is awesome, I love their unlimited internet. Unless you go out into the forest or live in the basement you should be fine!
Old 05-23-2014 at 01:38 PM   #9
Omar36

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Wind is great. Its cheap and has great benefits. I was able to watch shows/movies without problems. Only downside is when you get over 5gb, it becomes dial up slow but then again, I don't see other companies even come close to offering 5gb for 30 bucks
Old 05-28-2014 at 12:29 PM   #10
BinMonitored

Liked: 9 Times

I have been with winds for almost 3 years, well this is my experience:

Calling quality was awful at one time before, but now I don't really see any issue. (Hint: most ppl on winds r using relatively low cost phones. Those phones do affect the calling quality by A LOT. Buy a $300+ phone that has 1700 /2100 network and bring to winds, you will get a satisfactory calling quality.)

Data speed is depending on how many ppl are actually using the data in this area.
I have gotten 1.2mBytes(yes, Byte)/s ping <100 4G speed at the country side near Hamilton, and mostly my data speed is stable at 350kb/s ping 200 ish (which for a price u pay for an unlimited network, that is pretty good imo.)

Company is acting positively, I remembered like 3 years ago I can't receive any signal at Downtown Hamilton, I believe they had enough complaints from customers in that area, they actually setup a lot of new stations, now I found it's much easier to get signals even deep in the house. As long as ur not in the basement / way too deep inside the building, receiving calls/text msg should never be an issue, and tbh, like 8/10 times in school when I get no signals, my friend who is currently with rogers would not have any signal as well.

I would recommend the wind mobile if budget is ur concern or u just want unlimited network so no need to worry about getting a "bankrupt" bill by accident.

One last thing... wind tab sucks now, they used to give better phones at relatively lower market price, now seems even with windtab, it is still cheaper to buy an unlocked phone somewhere else then bring to wind(just buy a sim card from wind and it will work as long as it has 1700/2100 network).

edit: duno why i quoted someone... Didnt mean to.
Old 05-28-2014 at 12:58 PM   #11
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

a lot of people like to say that wind doesnt have towers. that used to be true, its no longer true.
Wind cuts some corners. When people call you and you hang up for example, it will keep ringing for the person calling you. this can be problematic. there are also some other issues in the same nature.. there used to be a list of them somewhere. but lack of towers is not one of them.
Old 05-28-2014 at 03:12 PM   #12
fatimaa

Liked: 4 Times

I've had WIND for a couple of years.
It's not horrible per say but it does have its cons.

Example:
Service doesn't work in some areas: Usually basement areas. I noticed this both true at Mcmaster, and when I moved into my new house.
Slow Data, sometimes you even get disconnected and it takes a minute to work again.
The phone charger they gave me broke, so I had to get a new one.

But yeah depends where you live, how much you use your phone, and for what purpose you use your phone. Honestly it's cheap and managebale so I say why not!
Old 05-28-2014 at 06:40 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Considering the price...to keep it short and sweet, it is worth it. Especially if you do not live in a basement during your stay in Hamilton. Reception is fair around McMaster campus, including the campus itself but as other posters might've mentioned, reception is spotty or non-existent on some parts of campus. Places like ITB, MDCL, ETB, etc. But again, considering the price...the service you get is worth it. Especially if you bring your own device! You should test it out and see if it works for you prior to signing up full time.