Wind Mobile update?? escape Computers & Tech 13 03-21-2010 10:33 PM
Macinsiders Shows You First! Chad Getting Involved 3 09-03-2007 10:58 PM

Wind Mobile Shows Photos Of Store

Old 12-14-2009 at 09:23 PM   #15
cowcow
Program: Civil Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 2 Times
WIND mobile has been given approval by the CRTC to be able to provide mobile services to Canadians. They will be open sometime this week (most likely December 16).

Here are the rumored plans. All plans come with caller id, call forwarding and call waiting. Actual plans will be announced on Wednesday also i believe.

Chat: $15 per month
Unlimited WIND to WIND calling (Canada wide)
Unlimited incoming text
100 province-wide voice minutes
50 text messages

Always Talk: $35 per month
Unlimited province-wide calling
Unlimited incoming text
50 outgoing text messages

Always Shout: $45 per month
Unlimited Canada-wide calling
Unlimited incoming /outgoing text messages
Voicemail

Data Plans
Infinite Mobile: $35 per month (used with any voice plan)
Unlimited internet for phones (tethering too)

Infinite Laptop: $45 per month
Unlimited internet for USB data sticks

Possibly there will be a web on your phone only type data plan for $10/mn.

BlackBerry data plans
Social BlackBerry: $10 per month
Unlimited instant messaging, Facebook and MySpace.

Infinite BlackBerry: $35 per month (used with any voice plan)
Unlimited internet for BlackBerry

Addons:
Voice: 10c Per Minute with the $15 plan
SMS: 10c each
MMS: 20c each
Voicemail: $5

Long Distance:
$20 for unlimited North America
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:42 PM   #16
PTGregD
Elite Member
Program: Commerce
Year: Alumni

Liked: 349 Times
I've been looking at those plans for the past few days and they are pretty awesome when compared to what Rogers/Bell/Telus give us. This is good news for everyone; either you jump onto the Wind Mobile band wagon and get a great deal, or you can leverage your current provider into matching these prices.

I'm going to be checking them out at the blockbuster by my house when they open this/next week.
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:44 PM   #17
cowcow

There are no contracts, instead WIND will follow the same method as Koodoo and have a "tab" feature. Basically meaning you pay off your phone over a prolonged amount of time instead of paying the full price of the phone right away. The only thing you have to do if you choose to leave WIND is to pay off any outstanding debt you have which includes your voice/data plan and the "tab" you have with WIND themselves.
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:45 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
The text messaging options on those rumoured plans are a little lacking. Only 50 outgoing texts a month on both of the lesser plans, and you can only get unlimited text with a $45 a month plan? I'd consider myself a relatively light texter for our generation (compared with someone like my sister who sends 1000+ texts a month) and I send approx 130 texts a month.

I know the options here are shitty but I guess since my family are long time Roger's customers we managed to get a pretty good cellphone plan from them.

The biggest benefit I see with WIND is the in province local and the no charge for basic services like Caller ID. The main thing I want from Rogers that I don't have is Caller ID but I'm not willing to pay their prices for it. Also I totally agree that the next city over being long distance is total crap, its not like I'm trying to call China, I'm trying to call someone in Oakville and its long distance, umm what?
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:46 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Chat: $15 per month
Unlimited incoming text
100 province-wide voice minutes
50 text messages

WHAT the? Is it me or does wind mobile sound too good to be true? That $15 plan is just ridiculously awesome!

Plus even their add on minutes are cheaper then my roger at 10c for voice and sms :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:53 PM   #20
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third

Liked: 422 Times
Not necessarily too good to be true, just on par with what the states has, and what we haven't had access to yet. Sounds roughly on par with what people in the states have described their service as (on other forums).

Actually, I think my current $35 a month plan with Bell is a fair bit better than their $35 dollar plan (I got it through BMO). But I don't really take advantage of all my minutes or unlimited texting. Switching to the $15 plan might be worth it, just for the long distance savings.
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:56 PM   #21
cowcow

These plans are only better in terms of what the other companies would give you if you walked into a Rogers/Bell/Telus store and got a phone on a contract. If you renegotiate your own plan with your provider, you will get a better plan than what WIND has has to offer most of the time. Lots of people are able to renegotiate a data plan with Rogers for around $50 a month.
Old 12-14-2009 at 09:58 PM   #22
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Not necessarily too good to be true, just on par with what the states has, and what we haven't had access to yet. Sounds roughly on par with what people in the states have described their service as (on other forums).
Yeah obviously, I was comparing it to the best generic market plans offered by Rogers to me(Without any special hookups with your Credit card company etc).

But its not even close to Pakistan where it was 1/16 canadian cents per minute!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-14-2009 at 10:36 PM   #23
Richa
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour

Liked: 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Students = mobile-phone-users-being-kicked-in-the-groin-by-Bell-Telus-Rogers-Fido-etc.
lolzzz...rightly put in!
I was waiting for the company to launch..but had to get a new mobile immediately..so ended up signing another contract with rogers ( oooh well..atleast i love my phone now )
It would be a breath of fresh air to watch a new company kick rogers/bell/telus/fido as customers will begin to switch as soon as the new idea launches- no long distance charges+caller id fee+all the other happy stuff!! I am excited abt it. It's frustrating to receive insanely long phone bills. And then calling up rogers n talking with them for over an hr, every time kills me by the end of the conversation!

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-15-2009 at 12:21 AM   #24
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Only problem I see with the plans are OUTGOING texts... only 50? If I look at what I have now with Telus and my Blackberry, it comes to almost the same price...

With Telus I have unlimited nationwide calling to Fav 5, 250 anytime minutes, unlimited text, and 500MB for e-mail/IM/etc. Checking e-mail on my blackberry I never hit anywhere near that limit, so I see my plan as basically unlimited talk/text/email.

On Wind, I would have to get the $45 talk plan to get unlimited texting both ways, and the $35 blackberry plan to get e-mail... that's $80. Not much different than what I already pay with Telus.

Wind needs to come up with an 'unlimited email' option like Telus has that is cheap as an add-on for blackberry users. I don't care about surfing the internet or social networking on my blackberry, the screen is way to small. I just want e-mail
Old 12-15-2009 at 07:47 AM   #25
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 78 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Only problem I see with the plans are OUTGOING texts... only 50? If I look at what I have now with Telus and my Blackberry, it comes to almost the same price...

With Telus I have unlimited nationwide calling to Fav 5, 250 anytime minutes, unlimited text, and 500MB for e-mail/IM/etc. Checking e-mail on my blackberry I never hit anywhere near that limit, so I see my plan as basically unlimited talk/text/email.

On Wind, I would have to get the $45 talk plan to get unlimited texting both ways, and the $35 blackberry plan to get e-mail... that's $80. Not much different than what I already pay with Telus.

Wind needs to come up with an 'unlimited email' option like Telus has that is cheap as an add-on for blackberry users. I don't care about surfing the internet or social networking on my blackberry, the screen is way to small. I just want e-mail
Those were rumoured prices. The official list is coming on Wednesday.

The province-wide calling interests me, as I'm sure it does most university students who've moved away from home. No longer would I have to pay long distance either at home or here at school (that is, assuming the plans posted on RedFlagDeals are real).
Old 12-15-2009 at 08:35 AM   #26
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia

Liked: 473 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcow View Post
These plans are only better in terms of what the other companies would give you if you walked into a Rogers/Bell/Telus store and got a phone on a contract. If you renegotiate your own plan with your provider, you will get a better plan than what WIND has has to offer most of the time. Lots of people are able to renegotiate a data plan with Rogers for around $50 a month.
Truth.

If you negotiate with the right people at Rogers/Bell/Telus on contract terms you can get good deals too. This is especially true if you're a long time customer of that company, they don't want you to switch and can give you better deals to intice you to remain a loyal customer.

That's why I personally don't see anything great about these Wind plans. In general they look pretty good but for my family as longtime Rogers customers there really aren't any benefits to switching to other services. When contracts are up or we need something we call Rogers and negotiate with them and they're willing to help us, and offer us good service to keep us as customers. We renegotiated our cellphone contract earlier this year after having a previousy 3 year contract with them and we able to get a really good deal for our needs.
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:26 AM   #27
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third

Liked: 422 Times
Well, more competition = more leverage for you when negotiating. It will hopefully also drive down prices for people who are new customers.

Taunton likes this.
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:10 PM   #28
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Well, more competition = more leverage for you when negotiating. It will hopefully also drive down prices for people who are new customers.
Not to mention that WIND is a big enough company that there's no worry about Bell, Rogers or Telus buying them out and screwing everyone over :p
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:27 PM   #29
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

It's similar for me.... with WIND, I'd be paying $5 extra to add unlimited browsing to my blackberry (which already has unlimited text, IM and email), and for me, browsing is unessential anyways since I have Wi-Fi... so when it comes down to it, it's not much better than what Rogers is giving me.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search