aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 78 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
It's similar for me.... with WIND, I'd be paying $5 extra to add unlimited browsing to my blackberry (which already has unlimited text, IM and email), and for me, browsing is unessential anyways since I have Wi-Fi... so when it comes down to it, it's not much better than what Rogers is giving me.
But I think it boils down to that Wind is not just about the rates. These new entries in the field have the chance to end the mistreatment from Bell, Rogers, Fido, and Telus (as long as they don't screw it up).

Just today, Bell slipped one past my father. He accidentally paid for the wrong account, so he called up Bell not too long ago to transfer the payment into the correct account. They had said since this was a simple mix-up, and my father was never late on payments before, that they would waive the late payment fee.

Guess what was on the bill

As long as Fido/Bell/Telus/Rogers continue to screw me and fellow Canadians over, I'm going to go with Wind. Quite frankly, I would pay more to be with them if it meant I was treated with respect.
Old 12-16-2009 at 09:46 AM   #31
DavidR
Residence: Woodstock ('04-'05)

Liked: 87 Times
Launch is starting... plans are here:

http://shop.windmobile.ca/ (looks the same as the leaked info)
Old 12-16-2009 at 11:02 AM   #32
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth

Liked: 473 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
But I think it boils down to that Wind is not just about the rates. These new entries in the field have the chance to end the mistreatment from Bell, Rogers, Fido, and Telus (as long as they don't screw it up).

Just today, Bell slipped one past my father. He accidentally paid for the wrong account, so he called up Bell not too long ago to transfer the payment into the correct account. They had said since this was a simple mix-up, and my father was never late on payments before, that they would waive the late payment fee.

Guess what was on the bill

As long as Fido/Bell/Telus/Rogers continue to screw me and fellow Canadians over, I'm going to go with Wind. Quite frankly, I would pay more to be with them if it meant I was treated with respect.
You realize not everyone at these companies gives poor customer service right?

I think you're asking a lot if you think Wind is all of the sudden going to be some saviour who won't be anything like the other companies. There's a chance they might be but they've just barely launched, there's a chance it will turn out Wind is just another competitior who is exactly the same as Bell/Telus/Rogers (Fido doesn't count, they owned by Rogers).

Chances are as Wind grows they'll have some shitty customer service people and some nice customer service people, just like the other companies.

While I've had bad experiences with Rogers customer service I've also had great experiences, it depends on whoever ends up handling my situation at any given time.
Old 12-16-2009 at 11:16 AM   #33
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 422 Times
Its not just the customer service people though, its the customer service policies. My brother had a problem where they ended up charging him much more than his monthly bill (more than he had in his bank account) which caused him to get overdraft fees, and then had to spend months dealing with Bell to try to get the problem sorted out. He eventually got his money back, but Bell wouldn't cover the overdraft fees. He talked to several reps, but they weren't the problem. It was the original mistake (mistakes do happen) and the fact that Bell's policies caused it to take ages to sort out.

Bell can afford to have such shitty service because they're such an established position already. I doubt Wind could deal with a lot of bad experiences right off the bat if they want a place in this market. They'll have to be better than Bell and Rogers, at least until they get a decent market share.

huzaifa47 likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-16-2009 at 11:19 AM   #34
cowcow
Program: Civil Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 2 Times
Here's WINDs coverage map in Toronto.

http://img210.imagevenue.com /img.p..._122_96lo.jpg#

WIND only has coverage in Toronto and Calgary so far and will be expanding soon. If you travel outside of this coverage zone, you might as well stay with your current provider since you'll be paying roaming fees if you use WIND.
Old 12-16-2009 at 11:36 AM   #35
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia

Liked: 473 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Its not just the customer service people though, its the customer service policies. My brother had a problem where they ended up charging him much more than his monthly bill (more than he had in his bank account) which caused him to get overdraft fees, and then had to spend months dealing with Bell to try to get the problem sorted out. He eventually got his money back, but Bell wouldn't cover the overdraft fees. He talked to several reps, but they weren't the problem. It was the original mistake (mistakes do happen) and the fact that Bell's policies caused it to take ages to sort out.

Bell can afford to have such shitty service because they're such an established position already. I doubt Wind could deal with a lot of bad experiences right off the bat if they want a place in this market. They'll have to be better than Bell and Rogers, at least until they get a decent market share.
That's dumb, but if they had a better rep dealing with the original billing issue then it wouldn't have been a problem. The people who work in the billing department seem to be a large part of the issue imo in any of the issues I've had with Rogers. Anywhere else I have very few hiccups but when dealing with billing its annoying. I don't know what the deal is but somehow all the idiots end up working in the billing department.
Old 12-16-2009 at 01:24 PM   #36
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Bell has the WORST customer service, and I won't even get into it because it'll make me angry. I really can't stand the amount of idiots they hire at that place, and most of them can't speak two words of English. I'm all for giving job opportunities to immigrants, but damn.

Rogers is pretty bad as well, and gives me problems with my cellphone. You just can't win haha.
Old 12-16-2009 at 03:15 PM   #37
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Rogers is pretty bad as well, and gives me problems with my cellphone. You just can't win haha.
I've heard bad things about all the companies, but FWIW, I've only ever had one problem with my bill with Rogers, and I called them and politely explained the problem to the representative and had it fixed and my account credited with no questions asked in under 10 minutes.

I have yet to experience any problems with Rogers.
Old 12-16-2009 at 04:16 PM   #38
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane
Program: Nanomaterials/Society

Liked: 974 Times
I wonder why the prices on their site are in pounds.

Probably not a big deal since I really doubt they'd charge Canadian customers in GBP, but it's hard to overlook that kind of mistake.

Edit: Can anyone with some knowledge clarify what the AWS network means? The Wiki article kind of makes it seem like it's separate from the GSM/CDMA networks, but the product page on their phones say they're quad-band GSM compatible too.

So what I really want to know is if they use SIM cards or not, because if I were to switch to
WIND, I'd rather keep my phone, or switch to something that's not on their site.

Last edited by Entropy : 12-16-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 at 04:20 PM   #39
cowcow

You're looking at the wrong site, WIND also provides telecommunication services in europe.

The plans are on www.windmobile.ca and just in case you can't get on (site has been on and off), here is their blog with the official prices for phones and plans and the coverage they have.

http://www.windmobile.ca/community/W...ndsets-prices/

Confirmed plans (pdf)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xj2owhjmyyz/WIND
Old 12-16-2009 at 04:42 PM   #40
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane
Program: Nanomaterials/Society

Liked: 974 Times

I made sure it was .ca website too.

See, I'm not crazy.
Old 12-16-2009 at 05:39 PM   #41
cowcow

Shows up fine for me.

Old 12-16-2009 at 05:47 PM   #42
**jewel 03**
Program: Health Studies

Liked: Liked 2 Times
what sucks is that you have to buy a phone from them in order to be able to get any of there plans. that kind of lowered my interest in them now since I don't really want to pay for a new phone and I think the cheapest phone is like $130 or something,
Old 12-16-2009 at 06:10 PM   #43
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
what sucks is that you have to buy a phone from them in order to be able to get any of there plans. that kind of lowered my interest in them now since I don't really want to pay for a new phone and I think the cheapest phone is like $130 or something,
but that also means that you may be able to use your existing phone on their network.

contracts are bad.
Old 12-16-2009 at 06:58 PM   #44
**jewel 03**
Program: Health Studies

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
but that also means that you may be able to use your existing phone on their network.

contracts are bad.
no actually i remember reading on their site that you have to buy a phone from them, you can't use your unlocked phone because of something to do with their phones being locked to WIND network or something to that effect

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search