MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind Mobile macbaby07 General Discussion 10 08-15-2011 06:56 PM
Wind mobile? Linh Computers & Tech 41 09-06-2010 06:44 PM
Wind Mobile update?? escape Computers & Tech 13 03-21-2010 10:33 PM
Wind Mobile Shows Photos Of Store Chad MacInsiders Announcements 61 12-17-2009 04:14 PM

Wind Mobile vs Koodo Mobile?

Old 05-13-2013 at 12:40 AM   #16
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Been with Wind since they launched. And I was a Telus customer prior to Wind. Telus frustrated me with their plans changing, they pissed me off paying extra for upgraded voicemail, call display, etc. and then they changed their plans to be 'simpler' (aka.. giving you that extra stuff that they milked you for before) but the prices went up. Their network was good, support in-store was ok.

I have friends who were on Koodo and switched to Wind. The price for Koodo (JUST RECENTLY upgraded to 'double data and minutes' to compete with Wind and Fido) is $35 for 400 minutes and 300mb of data. Not bad, but Wind is $30 unlimited. I hate having to think to myself whether I'm using more than 400 minutes.. or maxing out my data. It's just peace of mind knowing theres no limit. Plus if you go over your 300mb Koodo docks you $5 for the next upgrade of 250mb.

Then I switched to Wind after being frustrated not being able to upgrade to a new phone faster and being in a contract, and it was the best decision ever. Wind even paid me money to switch to them (they will give you up to $300 credit if you switch from another provider). How amazing is that? Plus the price can't be beat. If you're calling mainly people within Ontario you can now get a plan for $30 UNLIMITED everything (including Data). I'm on a $40 unlimited North America plan (they don't offer it anymore, but you can get Canada-wide for $40 if you want).

As for the WindTab.. why NOT take the tab? It would be silly to not let Wind give you a free $200-300 towards your phone. If you buy the Samsung Galaxy S4 for example, you can get it for $400 on the windtab instead of paying $700. The tab isn't a contract... basically they are just loaning you $300 towards your phone if you stick with them for a few years. And if you want out.. you can get out and just pay off the Tab. Why pay outright for the phone and turn down free money lol

Haven't had any problems with Wind worth complaining about. The service (number of bars in various locations) was poor when they first launched but hey.. didn't expect too much from a company that had to build an entire phone network from scratch. Over the years they've drastically expanded that network and I've had no problems since with signal.

The advantage to Wind is byfar the UNLIMITED DATA. You can't beat that anywhere else you go. You can get an Android phone like the brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 and tether internet on it to your laptop, make it a wifi hotspot with unlimited data is as good as it gets. Fast data too.

I streamed an online radio station in my car over Wind Data and drove from Hamilton to Toronto and back.. and it didn't cut out or drop out once. So that goes to show how strong it is.

If I were you, I'd stick with Wind. At least try them out first... you're not in a contract so if you don't like them, then just leave and go to Telus/Koodo.

NOTE: Iphone is coming to WindMobile if you're a hardcore iPhone fan. They confirmed it on Twitter/Facebook. Just gotta wait a little bit till they get first shipment.

Entropy likes this.
Old 05-13-2013 at 07:00 AM   #17
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Been with Wind since they launched. And I was a Telus customer prior to Wind. Telus frustrated me with their plans changing, they pissed me off paying extra for upgraded voicemail, call display, etc. and then they changed their plans to be 'simpler' (aka.. giving you that extra stuff that they milked you for before) but the prices went up. Their network was good, support in-store was ok.

I have friends who were on Koodo and switched to Wind. The price for Koodo (JUST RECENTLY upgraded to 'double data and minutes' to compete with Wind and Fido) is $35 for 400 minutes and 300mb of data. Not bad, but Wind is $30 unlimited. I hate having to think to myself whether I'm using more than 400 minutes.. or maxing out my data. It's just peace of mind knowing theres no limit. Plus if you go over your 300mb Koodo docks you $5 for the next upgrade of 250mb.

Then I switched to Wind after being frustrated not being able to upgrade to a new phone faster and being in a contract, and it was the best decision ever. Wind even paid me money to switch to them (they will give you up to $300 credit if you switch from another provider). How amazing is that? Plus the price can't be beat. If you're calling mainly people within Ontario you can now get a plan for $30 UNLIMITED everything (including Data). I'm on a $40 unlimited North America plan (they don't offer it anymore, but you can get Canada-wide for $40 if you want).

As for the WindTab.. why NOT take the tab? It would be silly to not let Wind give you a free $200-300 towards your phone. If you buy the Samsung Galaxy S4 for example, you can get it for $400 on the windtab instead of paying $700. The tab isn't a contract... basically they are just loaning you $300 towards your phone if you stick with them for a few years. And if you want out.. you can get out and just pay off the Tab. Why pay outright for the phone and turn down free money lol

Haven't had any problems with Wind worth complaining about. The service (number of bars in various locations) was poor when they first launched but hey.. didn't expect too much from a company that had to build an entire phone network from scratch. Over the years they've drastically expanded that network and I've had no problems since with signal.

The advantage to Wind is byfar the UNLIMITED DATA. You can't beat that anywhere else you go. You can get an Android phone like the brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 and tether internet on it to your laptop, make it a wifi hotspot with unlimited data is as good as it gets. Fast data too.

I streamed an online radio station in my car over Wind Data and drove from Hamilton to Toronto and back.. and it didn't cut out or drop out once. So that goes to show how strong it is.

If I were you, I'd stick with Wind. At least try them out first... you're not in a contract so if you don't like them, then just leave and go to Telus/Koodo.

NOTE: Iphone is coming to WindMobile if you're a hardcore iPhone fan. They confirmed it on Twitter/Facebook. Just gotta wait a little bit till they get first shipment.
Well said Chad...well friggen said. I've been on Chatr's $35 plan and I thought it was good until I noticed I was missing that data. The data that could be so convenient when I'm out and about with no wifi. Luckily, I have a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store so I can easily switch to Wind, which I will!

RyanC likes this.
Old 05-13-2013 at 07:31 AM   #18
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

[quote=Chad;369559

NOTE: Iphone is coming to WindMobile if you're a hardcore iPhone fan. They confirmed it on Twitter/Facebook. Just gotta wait a little bit till they get first shipment.[/quote]

1) Going on the WINDTab and 'saving' $200-$300 only occurs if you actually stick it out for 3 years. Not many people know that due to unforeseen circumstances. In addition, it is also recommended to buy a prepaid phone from WIND first to test out the coverage in areas you frequent. Unfortunately, it'd be more expensive to test out the data speeds too.

2) Slightly less of a point in having unlimited data if it won't be fast everywhere. I have speed tests compiled from various locations from when I first got my phone to the current day. It definitely is not "fast data" everywhere. It's bearable in most places, and the only place where I've found it to be fast was near Ryerson University.

3) You can buy the iPhone that works with WIND/Mobilicity down from the States if you're really eager to use it. A lot of people have already done that and are using the iPhone on both networks already.
Old 05-13-2013 at 07:57 AM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
1) Going on the WINDTab and 'saving' $200-$300 only occurs if you actually stick it out for 3 years. Not many people know that due to unforeseen circumstances. In addition, it is also recommended to buy a prepaid phone from WIND first to test out the coverage in areas you frequent. Unfortunately, it'd be more expensive to test out the data speeds too.
Or you can buy a Nexus 4... I plan on never selling this phone. Hah. (best purchase I've ever made)

Quote:
2) Slightly less of a point in having unlimited data if it won't be fast everywhere. I have speed tests compiled from various locations from when I first got my phone to the current day. It definitely is not "fast data" everywhere. It's bearable in most places, and the only place where I've found it to be fast was near Ryerson University.
I've never had problems with the data speeds.. browser, streaming, youtube, etc all pop up almost instantly. I don't even bother testing 'speed' if what I'm using it for doesn't slow me down. (I tether, sometimes to play online games, but that can be a bit spotty if that's your plan) I'm on a retention plan so I'm pretty sure my bandwidth or speed isn't capped.

Quote:
3) You can buy the iPhone that works with WIND/Mobilicity down from the States if you're really eager to use it. A lot of people have already done that and are using the iPhone on both networks already.
I always thought the problem was that the frequency spectrum the iPhone used wasn't supported with Wind... has that changed with iPhone 5? Hm, sounds like it..cool.
Old 05-13-2013 at 08:05 AM   #20
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Or you can buy a Nexus 4... I plan on never selling this phone. Hah. (best purchase I've ever made)

I've never had problems with the data speeds.. browser, streaming, youtube, etc all pop up almost instantly. I don't even bother testing 'speed' if what I'm using it for doesn't slow me down. (I tether, sometimes to play online games, but that can be a bit spotty if that's your plan) I'm on a retention plan so I'm pretty sure my bandwidth or speed isn't capped.

I always thought the problem was that the frequency spectrum the iPhone used wasn't supported with Wind... has that changed with iPhone 5? Hm, sounds like it..cool.
1) Yup, buying the Nexus 4 outright is definitely worth it's price. I hope the Nexus 5 will be the same or whatever they decide to call it.

2) Fair enough. It's really location based. Though, retention planned or not, the data policy they enforce is the same on everyone. Only difference that may be is the limit before they cap your speeds.

3) Apple made a new version of the iPhone 5 to support the bands that WIND/Mobilicity utilize.
Old 05-24-2013 at 07:32 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
What is a 'fast' speed for a cell phone?

Btw, according to the Network Rank in OpenSignal, Wind is pretty aweful in terms of download and ping, which really isn't anything I've encountered myself... odd. TELUS is the the top quality and ranking. Anyone have TELUS?

Last edited by RyanC : 05-24-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2013 at 12:48 AM   #22
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Considering I never had data before and was already paying a higher price for my plan, the $30 wind plan is great. I just recently switched to wind on my nexus 4 and service is good, and great outdoors. I've done speed test and the data speeds isnt that great at my house (around 2-3 Mbps, and uploads aren't great). It gets better outdoors and in downtown areas. I mainly use data for maps and bus schedules but I have tested with youtube vids and netflix on the go bus and surprisingly it worked very well. It took a few seconds to buffer and load but once it loaded it played quite smoothly. People need to understand it isn't meant for online gaming and stuff like that. But I'm telling you, the data DOES work.

I haven't been to classes cuz its summer but I went to school anyways to test the network and I'll admit you will lose bars and complete loss of signal in basements. Certain buildings like mdcl i get low bars. But I'm quite okay with that. I enjoy the unl. data and voice and caller id etc. I know that Wind is relatively new and hasn't built its network up like the major carriers. The key to enjoying Wind mobile is to know its limits. Don't buy it thinking/expecting it to be the best and comparable to the big 3.

Additionally, their customer service has improved and I can see they have put quite an effort. Their facebook page and service is very helpful. They are honestly trying very hard to help out customers yet ppl bash it. If you look on the fb page, so many ppl post very negative things and they politely say, hey message us and we'll try to help you out. Honestly, if ppl don't like the service, don't sign up or go somewhere else. I recently switched over from Chatr and had my own phone to bring. Apparently I was eligible for some credit but the ppl at the store didn't tell me. That sucked but I saw the ads online and messaged the facebook page and one guy helped me out. I had my own phone and have the $30 plan, and they told me I was eligible for $200 in credits over the course of 2 years. Keep in mind the credit goes towards things like ad ons and not the rate plan itself but hey, now I can get 2 years of voicemail free (the $30 plan doesn't have it). So I was amazed, the guy helped me a lot and I thanked him as much as I could. Sometimes the people at the store sucks, but hey, they are just ppl who got a job there cuz they needed the job. But the wind mobile center like the fb page is not like the ppl in stores. They truly represent Wind mobile and will do anything they can to help you.

Overall, I'm impressed with the network. I'm a real supporter of Wind and yea I know there have been talks about all the new carriers going up for sale. Mobilicity was bought my Telus for $380 million. I'm hoping Wind can last and really put up a fight to the other carriers.

If anyone has any questions bout joining Wind or other related concerns, gimme a msg and I'll try and help you!
Old 05-25-2013 at 09:28 AM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
What is a 'fast' speed for a cell phone?

Btw, according to the Network Rank in OpenSignal, Wind is pretty aweful in terms of download and ping, which really isn't anything I've encountered myself... odd. TELUS is the the top quality and ranking. Anyone have TELUS?
Ping < 50ms and for general web browsing 1 mbps would do. Even that isn't meant in most places where I go, especially the ping. Ping for me is usually > 200ms.
Old 05-26-2013 at 12:09 AM   #24
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Ping < 50ms and for general web browsing 1 mbps would do. Even that isn't meant in most places where I go, especially the ping. Ping for me is usually > 200ms.
Yea ping can be a problem is the bad spots. If I'm in a decently good spot, the ping will be around 200 or less. But, I have actually been getting really good practical use with this data.

Today I used my nexus 4 to tether with my macbook cuz my wifi at home doesnt seem to connect properly with my macbook. So I tethered and watched netflix and it loaded up very nicely. No lag what so ever. I'm impressed
Old 05-26-2013 at 02:03 AM   #25
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Check out Fido and Virgin as well. They compete with Koodo so the plans might be better/matched
Old 05-26-2013 at 10:13 AM   #26
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfitsp View Post
Yea ping can be a problem is the bad spots. If I'm in a decently good spot, the ping will be around 200 or less. But, I have actually been getting really good practical use with this data.

Today I used my nexus 4 to tether with my macbook cuz my wifi at home doesnt seem to connect properly with my macbook. So I tethered and watched netflix and it loaded up very nicely. No lag what so ever. I'm impressed
Yeah, it honestly can be. The ping really kills my data experience on my phone. I only found it to be really good around Sick Kids Hospital, so I was able to tether there to my laptop and it was also enjoyable.