MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering switching to Wind - which phone? lawleypop General Discussion 26 03-04-2011 01:33 PM
Wind mobile? Linh Computers & Tech 41 09-06-2010 06:44 PM
Wind aa84 Computers & Tech 1 08-23-2010 11:40 PM
Wind Mobile update?? escape Computers & Tech 13 03-21-2010 10:33 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM

wind phone

Old 03-01-2011 at 07:34 PM   #1
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

wind phone
i was wondering , if i get a blackberry from wind, can i unlock it and use it with another carrier like you do with other phones?

also, what is the cheapest phone you can get that works with the network ( i mean not bought at the wind store)

and finally, is the windtab thing like a contract or you just pay off your phone month by month and pay the remaining amount anytime you want?

EDIT: also, can i get a blackberry without having to get the the 45$ data plan ?

Last edited by santiagoeb : 03-01-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2011 at 07:39 PM   #2
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoeb View Post
i was wondering , if i get a blackberry from wind, can i unlock it and use it with another carrier like you do with other phones?

also, what is the cheapest phone you can get that works with the network ( i mean not bought at the wind store)

and finally, is the windtab thing like a contract or you just pay off your phone month by month and pay the remaining amount anytime you want?
no, if you buy it with a plan you cant unlock it

if you get postpaid you get bills every month

prepaid you recharge ur phone with money

if your wondering about a type of cell there are many options

good luck
Old 03-01-2011 at 07:50 PM   #3
santiagoeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
no, if you buy it with a plan you cant unlock it

if you get postpaid you get bills every month

prepaid you recharge ur phone with money

if your wondering about a type of cell there are many options

good luck
maybe i was unclear, what i mean is, if i get a blackberry, under the aws band network with wind, can i unlock it and use a "regular" fido,rogers, etc sim card in it.

and my other questions concern windtab and which specific phones work under the aws band network
Old 03-01-2011 at 07:57 PM   #4
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
maybe i was unclear, what i mean is, if i get a blackberry, under the aws band network with wind, can i unlock it and use a "regular" fido,rogers, etc sim card in it.

and my other questions concern windtab and which specific phones work under the aws band network
first question no until contract is finished

2nd question dont know

Last edited by mfattal : 03-01-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: fixing something
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:01 PM   #5
santiagoeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
first question no until contract is finished

2nd question dont know
do you know what i am talking about? first of all you dont need to end a contract to unlock a phone, second, wind does not even work with contract, thank you for your help tho
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:07 PM   #6
Voidness

Liked: 10 Times

What I know is that if you've been 4 months with Wind, you can request an unlock code that you use to unlock your phone to work on any network. Wind Blackberries support the other carriers' networks (Rogers, Bell, and Telus).
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:11 PM   #7
santiagoeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidness View Post
What I know is that if you've been 4 months with Wind, you can request an unlock code that you use to unlock your phone to work on any network. Wind Blackberries support the other carriers' networks (Rogers, Bell, and Telus).
thats what im talking about , would i be able to pay to get it unlocked like any other blackberry without having to wait for the 4 months?
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:16 PM   #8
camais

Liked: 30 Times

I think i remember reading somewhere that wind will give you the unlock code after 4 months with them.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:18 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Wind will unlock your phone after 3 months of service. Alternatively, you can buy a unlock code online or through other means and have it immediately unlock.

http://www.windmobile.ca/community/ideas/detail/27171/

Blackberies from Wind will ONLY work with on 3G for AWS providers (Wind and Mobilicity in Canada). You can use it for Rogers and Fido but you will not be able to use 3G network, only 2G.

http://www.windmobile.ca/community/ideas/detail/19979/

Quote:
Not buying at Wind store means you are buying it through online or local ads like eBay or Kijiji? If that is what you meant, then price is subjective.

The cheapest phone Wind carry is the Huawei U1250. I'm sure if you bargain hard enough for a used one, you can probably get it for under $30.

Quote:
Windtab is exactly like a contract.

The amount you owed on the Windtab is given free every month based on how much you pay your bill. I believe its 10%.

So if your bill is $40/month. They give you a $4 free to pay down your Windtab. At this rate it will take you 37 and a half months to pay $150 off. Or a little over 3 years!

The only different between Windtab and the regular 3 years contract we are used to is the penalty fee for cancellation. For Windtab, when you cancel, you need to pay them back what is left on the Windtab.

Last edited by PHLN : 03-01-2011 at 08:21 PM.

santiagoeb says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:29 PM   #10
santiagoeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Wind will unlock your phone after 3 months of service. Alternatively, you can buy a unlock code online or through other means and have it immediately unlock.

http://www.windmobile.ca/community/ideas/detail/27171/

Blackberies from Wind will ONLY work with on 3G for AWS providers (Wind and Mobilicity in Canada). You can use it for Rogers and Fido but you will not be able to use 3G network, only 2G.

http://www.windmobile.ca/community/ideas/detail/19979/

Not buying at Wind store means you are buying it through online or local ads like eBay or Kijiji? If that is what you meant, then price is subjective.

The cheapest phone Wind carry is the Huawei U1250. I'm sure if you bargain hard enough for a used one, you can probably get it for under $30.

The amount you owed on the Windtab is given free every month based on how much you pay your bill. I believe its 10%.

So if your bill is $40/month. They give you a $4 free to pay down your Windtab. At this rate it will take you 37 and a half months to pay $150 off. Or a little over 3 years!

The only different between Windtab and the regular 3 years contract we are used to is the penalty fee for cancellation. For Windtab, when you cancel, you need to pay them back what is left on the Windtab.

solved all my questions regarding to the windtab thing, is it true that if you choose to end the windtab you can either pay off the rest of the phone, OR give back the phone?

EDIT: do you know if i can still get a blackberry just by taking the cheapest plan with them? or do i have to take data plan like with other carriers???

Last edited by santiagoeb : 03-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:30 PM   #11
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
solved all my questions regarding to the windtab thing, is it true that if you choose to end the windtab you can either pay off the rest of the phone, OR give back the phone?
Wind has a refund policy provided you return it with less than 30 minutes usage and before 15 days owning the phone. All they charge you then is the air time usage.

After that you have to pay back the amount owning on the Windtab.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:33 PM   #12
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
EDIT: also, can i get a blackberry without having to get the the 45$ data plan ?
You can get a Blackberry on any plans, heck even if you don't want plans you can get it (but won't be able to use Windtab).

Just remember to disable data usage on the phone and/or ask Wind to disable data totally from your account.

I wouldn't recommend getting a Blackberry without data though. It is like getting a motorcycle without gas. Sure you can roll it around, but er, people will just laugh at you.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:54 PM   #13
santiagoeb

Quote:
You can get a Blackberry on any plans, heck even if you don't want plans you can get it (but won't be able to use Windtab).

Just remember to disable data usage on the phone and/or ask Wind to disable data totally from your account.

I wouldn't recommend getting a Blackberry without data though. It is like getting a motorcycle without gas. Sure you can roll it around, but er, people will just laugh at you.
lol at the last part, and the whole thing is, my dad is getting into wind, and i have an effed up blackberry. solution: he gets a blackberry in the windtab thing without the data plan, i get the huawei for 25$ off kijiji, he uses the huawei and i unlock and use the blackberry. any flaw? i dont mind the lack of 3g anyways, i have the basic IM Facebook data plan, and it goes well in my non 3g blackberry
Old 03-01-2011 at 09:00 PM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
lol at the last part, and the whole thing is, my dad is getting into wind, and i have an effed up blackberry. solution: he gets a blackberry in the windtab thing without the data plan, i get the huawei for 25$ off kijiji, he uses the huawei and i unlock and use the blackberry. any flaw? i dont mind the lack of 3g anyways, i have the basic IM Facebook data plan, and it goes well in my non 3g blackberry
Sounds like a plan.

Blackberry unlock codes are cheap cheap. I got mine on special for 1 penny!

Look around carefully before you shell out money.

Free.
http://forums.redflagdeals.c om/fre...ompany-992970/

Not 1 penny no more, but its $4.
http://forums.redflagdeals.c om/unl...-offer-990234/

Etc...
Old 03-01-2011 at 09:13 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:

Its not 'exactly like a contract', in the sense you're obligated to stay 3 years in the same way normal phone corporations obligate you to. It behaves similarly, but the distinction is huge.