MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wind phone santiagoeb Computers & Tech 15 03-01-2011 09:13 PM
Career Fair -Networking Reception Graduating Students Alison MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-18-2010 02:27 PM
Wind aa84 Computers & Tech 1 08-23-2010 11:40 PM
Reception mac-lover First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 02-13-2010 08:36 PM
Graduation Convocation & Reception Allan General Discussion 14 06-13-2009 05:59 AM

Wind reception?

Old 07-18-2011 at 12:02 AM   #16
thirdyearboy

Liked: 4 Times

i switched to wind and i love it, i would recommend it to anyone, well worth the money

SHWEDDIES likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 04:31 PM   #17
camais

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Don't get the motorola xt720.
May I ask why not?
Old 07-18-2011 at 05:48 PM   #18
richardysm

I have wind and the only place I don't get reception is in MDCL. Some rooms, not all. other than that, it's pretty good.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:34 PM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
May I ask why not?
Very prone to freezing, processing is very slow, default programs and features are not customizable and make it very hard to use your phone smoothly. (the camera is a slow, blurry piece of crap which has no real manual zoom...)
I was forced to continue using it on my vacation (wanted to switch phones, but wasn't able to reproduce any significant issue for the warrenty department person in time on my second refurbished trade-in).

They did a unoffical official release to let you upgrade the operating system to 2.2+ (previously you couldn't), but I wasn't able to get it working. There's also gingerbread launcher which fixes some issues, but evenutally the key problems re-occurr...

Can't find a skin for this phone because nobody makes them (manufacturer dropped support for this phone entirely), and it has an odd shape which prevents you from using a random skin that matches the rough shape of the phone...

The outside default casing is prone to decay and chipping because of the cheap material the outside is made of.

The phone may randomly shut off, freeze, or reset.

A bug specific to this phone is sometimes can't send/receive texts.

Battery life is terrible.. I have to continuously put on airplane mode and switch off gps, etc just to have my phone last the day. Its a smartphone, so the battery consumption is expected, but I can only last a couple full usage hours before my battery is depleted or the processing slows down considerably (even with task-killing apps, etc).

I've met 3 completely random people in the 6 months I've had this phone that also had the xt720 and they only had negative things to say about it.

Customer service people I keep talking to keep bullshitting and jerking me around that they've never ran into a person who have had issues with this phone.

Basically its kind of a crap phone.

camais, L'Étoile like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:39 PM   #20
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Don't get the motorola xt720. I was in a store the other day and there was a reallly displeased person with the new LG phone (not sure why).. the samsung one (galaxy s or something?) is really good from what I've heard.
Or, you know, get the iphone 4. Specifically the white one with the bigger geebeez and also the wifis.
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:46 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Or, you know, get the iphone 4. Specifically the white one with the bigger geebeez and also the wifis.
I'm considering it... they just cost a lot without a plan. I'd get a knock-off... but since they're not bound by consumer safety standards, I'd get brain cancer from all the radiation they give off :(

I think I'd be better off waiting for the iphone 6 though.. it has more gbs and i think like twice the wifis the iphone 4/5 has
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:48 PM   #22
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

iPhone 6 will take a while to come out D: I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 at the moment.
Old 07-19-2011 at 11:04 PM   #23
naakamura

Liked: 2 Times

I've been with Wind since November and I have to say it's been awesome. Most of my friends on Rogers had delays in texts, or not receiving/sending at all. The only place I've found I've never had service on campus is the basement of ITB. I had weak signals in MDCL but still managed to send texts.

I don't know if this matters to you, but there is next to no service in cottage country. I recently went up to my place in Wasaga and I was getting nothing. I've also tried it in Haliburton and Parry Sound and absolutely nothing.

But other than that it's been ridiculously good. I got a Blackberry Curve, unlimited texting, BBM, Facebook, MSN, AIM, (pretty much any IM) for a flat rate of ~$400 for the year.

L'Étoile says thanks to naakamura for this post.
Old 07-19-2011 at 11:10 PM   #24
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

i'm with wind and i haven't had much problems with the reception. I've had no problems with receptions on campus, toronto, had troubles getting reception once or twice in calgary, and a bit of problems in vancouver in underground parking spaces. That's about it...haven't been to edmonton to try it there, but so far, my experience with them has been pretty good.

Kathy2 says thanks to fusionorchid for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 08:51 PM   #25
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I am with Wind and have a BB Pearl, and I find reception not that great. I work in Milton, and where I would struggle to get 1 bar, others get 4. At Mac, I find it decent, though area surrounding it has spotty reception. I had problems with data while in Hamilton (so never bothered keeping it), problems with missed calls. The other day, while on Mac campus, I somehow missed 9 calls from a friend in the span of 5 minutes, never got an alert saying I missed anything. I love their plans, but frankly, unless I am outdoors, it's not that great. I would go back to Koodo if I didn't have like 120 on the tab.
Old 07-20-2011 at 10:25 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionorchid View Post
i'm with wind and i haven't had much problems with the reception. I've had no problems with receptions on campus, toronto, had troubles getting reception once or twice in calgary, and a bit of problems in vancouver in underground parking spaces. That's about it...haven't been to edmonton to try it there, but so far, my experience with them has been pretty good.
Same, I only lost reception far North Vancouver , otherwise I had coverage everywhere as expected at the wind zone maps. Phones are more of an issue rather than service.
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:08 PM   #27
j0sh

Would calls to Toronto and Mississauga be considered local calls using WIND from Hamilton? Also, should I sign up with WIND from Mississauga or should I sign up with them from Hamilton? Would it make a difference? Thanks for all the help btw. This thread's been really helpful
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:19 PM   #28
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0sh View Post
Would calls to Toronto and Mississauga be considered local calls using WIND from Hamilton? Also, should I sign up with WIND from Mississauga or should I sign up with them from Hamilton? Would it make a difference? Thanks for all the help btw. This thread's been really helpful
They are both in the homezone, so it does not make a difference where you get the phone/make the call from other than your prefix. So if you want a 905 or 289 or a 416.

j0sh says thanks to BlakeM for this post.
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:21 PM   #29
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0sh View Post
See here.

So as long as you're in the red zone, which includes Hamilton, "local" includes all the areas in the surrounding orange zone.

While where you sign up doesn't matter to you since your outgoing calls will be local regardless of where you are, it affects the people who call you. With a Hamilton number, people from Sauga who call you will be charged long-distance, and vice-versa, but that's ultimately your choice.

I've noticed Wind's reception has been unusually bad lately though. It seems like every other call is lost because although I can hear the person on the other end ("Hello? Are you still there?"), they won't be able to hear me at all, even when I yell.

j0sh says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 08-02-2011 at 06:54 AM   #30
j0sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I've noticed Wind's reception has been unusually bad lately though. It seems like every other call is lost because although I can hear the person on the other end ("Hello? Are you still there?"), they won't be able to hear me at all, even when I yell.
I'm willing to give them a shot cause their plans are really reasonably-priced. And I know they're a new company so they're probably making loads of improvements. And apparently there's a 15-day trial where I can get a full refund if I'm not happy with their services so I guess I can always get a refund if I'm not satisfied. Thanks!