MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheaper Windows 7 for students? shimje Computers & Tech 9 08-09-2010 06:12 PM
Mac vs Windows Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 07-20-2010 02:39 PM
buying windows 7? macculkin Computers & Tech 13 03-05-2010 12:42 AM
Basement windows? katie_batt Residence & Housing 5 06-17-2008 09:22 AM

Windows 7 for students

Old 10-23-2009 at 11:33 AM   #31
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I'm going through the steps to buy 7 to see if they have an option to get a hard copy sent to you... I'll edit this post when I have an answer.

Jake, John H, Matthew K all say thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 10-23-2009 at 11:53 AM   #32
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Thanks a lot Ben.
So, it’s recommended that if we Vista Home Premium that we switch to Windows 7 Home Premium instead of Windows 7 Professional?

Old 10-23-2009 at 11:55 AM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

I figured I would add a new post so it would be more obvious when I had an answer.

The answer is yes... follow the steps and when you checkout, there is an option to have them send you a backup DVD for $13.

EDIT: Screenshot fixed!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Win7Con2.gif (22.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Taunton : 10-23-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Jake, Matthew K all say thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 10-23-2009 at 11:58 AM   #34
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Thanks a lot Ben.
So, it’s recommended that if we Vista Home Premium that we switch to Windows 7 Home Premium instead of Windows 7 Professional?
I'm not sure that it matters... the reason being that when you upgrade your windows version (ie Home to Professional to Ultimate) all you're doing is unlocking some locked features that are already present in your software.

So, if you think you can make use of the extra features in 7 Pro, then go for it! I don't see any problems there.

Old 10-23-2009 at 12:00 PM   #35
Jake

It says this though...

To upgrade easily from Windows Vista, you should upgrade to the same version you currently have in Windows 7. For example, if you're moving from Windows Vista Home Premium with 32-bit software, it would be easiest to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium with 32-bit software. Most of the other upgrades require a custom (clean) installation, which is a fairly complex installation process that needs several steps and can take quite a few hours. Not sure what you currently have? Click here to learn how to quickly check. If you're interested in upgrading to a different version of Windows 7 or changing to a 32- or 64-bit system, click here to determine if you need to do an in-place upgrade or clean (custom install).

Old 10-23-2009 at 12:03 PM   #36
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
It says this though...

To upgrade easily from Windows Vista, you should upgrade to the same version you currently have in Windows 7. For example, if you're moving from Windows Vista Home Premium with 32-bit software, it would be easiest to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium with 32-bit software. Most of the other upgrades require a custom (clean) installation, which is a fairly complex installation process that needs several steps and can take quite a few hours. Not sure what you currently have? Click here to learn how to quickly check. If you're interested in upgrading to a different version of Windows 7 or changing to a 32- or 64-bit system, click here to determine if you need to do an in-place upgrade or clean (custom install).
Okay, I checked the link and they say you can't upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Professional... not sure why, but at least now we know!

You can upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Ultimate though, which goes with what I was saying before. It's too bad the offer doesn't give us Ultimate :p

Old 10-23-2009 at 12:05 PM   #37
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Okay, I checked the link and they say you can't upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Professional... not sure why, but at least now we know!

You can upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Ultimate though, which goes with what I was saying before. It's too bad the offer doesn't give us Ultimate :p
Thanks Ben! Haha yeah, Ultimate would be so awesome.

Old 10-23-2009 at 12:08 PM   #38
Taunton
Elite Member

Everyone who is upgrading, make sure you check to make sure you know whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit!

Old 10-23-2009 at 12:12 PM   #39
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Everyone who is upgrading, make sure you check to make sure you know whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit!
How do you check? I'm a computer n00b lol.

Btw, thanks for all the info Ben. I'm going be upgrading to Windows 7 tonight.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:18 PM   #40
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
How do you check? I'm a computer n00b lol.

Btw, thanks for all the info Ben. I'm going be upgrading to Windows 7 tonight.
In VISTA:

To see if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, do the following:
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
  2. Under System, you can view the system type.
In XP:
  1. Click Start, then click on Run or Start Search.
  2. Type msinfo32.exe and then press Enter key.
  3. In “System Information”, review the value for the System Type item:
    • For 32-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x86-based PC.
    • For 64-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x64-based PC.

Last edited by Taunton : 10-23-2009 at 12:20 PM.

John H, Matthew K all say thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:25 PM   #41
John H

Liked: 21 Times

AWESOME. I'm definitely upgrading to Windows 7 this weekend. Vista SUCKS.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:28 PM   #42
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Basically for most people, they will stick with 32bit as most programs work in 32 bit and they don't need more than 4gb of ram. However, if you require more than 4Gbs of Ram, and do a lot of multimedia work or work that can utilize all that ram. You are better off with 64 bit. However, some programs will not work on 64 bit, just a caution for anyone upgrading, although the shift to 64 bit is happening, so more compatible programs will be released in the future.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:31 PM   #43
John H

Liked: 21 Times

Kevin S, Taunton like this.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:32 PM   #44
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Basically for most people, they will stick with 32bit as most programs work in 32 bit and they don't need more than 4gb of ram. However, if you require more than 4Gbs of Ram, and do a lot of multimedia work or work that can utilize all that ram. You are better off with 64 bit. However, some programs will not work on 64 bit, just a caution for anyone upgrading, although the shift to 64 bit is happening, so more compatible programs will be released in the future.
I helped my girlfriend buy a new PC a couple of months ago, and there was no option to choose between 32- or 64-bit. She ended up getting a relatively modest mid-range computer. When I checked it out for her to make sure everything was good, I realized she had a 64 bit system.

More people out there may have 64 bit computers than we realize! Make sure you check before you buy your upgrade, or else you might be screwed!
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:34 PM   #45
j.luong

Liked: 2 Times

Is this promotion online only, or are we able to purchase a hard copy of Windows 7 say at Titles or somewhere else?