MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Winter Exchange! wongywj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-12-2009 11:51 AM
McMaster Budget/Expenditues etc Jessicaaaa General Discussion 10 04-13-2009 04:39 PM
Cooling to Heating Switchover lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 10-10-2008 06:39 AM
Heating? When is it coming kenvin100 Residence & Housing 12 09-18-2008 05:04 PM

Winter heating on a student budget

By Davey Hamada on The Starfish.

Did you know that heating and cooling comprises of about half of an average home’s energy expenditure? As a student, there are several low-cost things you can do to save money (assuming you pay for your own utilities) and reduce your ecological impact on the environment.

Bubblewrap
Bubblewrap can be bought at postal offices (or check around the house to see if you any lying around) and provide an unconventional but cheap insulation method for windows. Bubblewrap is often used for greenhouses during the winter months and traps heat indoors. It also gives a cool stained glass-esque effect during the day. To set this up, cut out a piece of bubblewrap large enough for your window, wet your window slightly with a cloth or spray bottle and stick the bubblewrap on the window. The water will help it stick to the window until you want to remove it.

Caulk
Cracks and holes in the house can cause significant amounts of heat loss and cause drafts. To prevent this, head over to the hardware store and pick yourself up a caulk gun and a couple cartridges of caulk. Check the label carefully as some of the cheaper caulk brands contain chemicals which can be harmful to your health if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Use the caulk to seal areas of concern such as holes in the walls, cracks between the walls and the floor and areas near windows.

Area Rugs
Floors can be cold during the winter months, especially those with hardwood or tile. Keep your toes toasty by putting down some area rugs. Not only are they warm, they can add a touch of colour to any space!

Space Heaters
Ditch central heating or keep it at a minimum. Decreasing your thermostat by 1 degree can reduce fuel needs by as much as 15 percent. So, heat only areas that are used most often with a space heater. When purchasing a space heater, make sure you look for energy saving features such as a built-in thermostat, energy saving setting and a timer. Also look for safety features such as an auto-shut off when it overheats. Some heaters also come with a buzzer that goes off when they are tipped. The safest types of heaters are electric heaters because no method of ventilation is necessary unlike kerosene-burning heaters which require some form of ventilation to let the products of combustion escape. Lastly, be sure to buy one that is appropriate for the size of your room to maximize efficacy.

Electric Blankets/Electric Mattress Pad
These devices usually go between your mattress and your sheets. Turn it on a half-hour before bed, so it’s nice and toasty when you get in to avoid covering yourself in cold blankets. Turn it off after you’re settled in. Blankets act as great insulators and trap body heat, so you should be warm enough from the natural heat your body produces throughout the night, provided that your blankets are adequate enough. Turn off the central heating or space heater and snooze away.

Warm Clothing
Self-explanatory! Put on a sweater and some warm slippers.

Find (Free) Heat Elsewhere!

Lastly, spend more time outside the home for the winter months. Shut off your heat, ditch your house, and go to school, a library or a coffee shop – public spaces which are all heated for free!

Amaryll says thanks to lorend for this post.

Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 12-01-2010 at 06:18 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 815 Times
Awesome.
Unnecessary thread is unnecessary.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-01-2010 at 07:57 PM   #3
lorii
Program: Commerce
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 8 Times
I'll be keeping a lookout for bubble wrap.
Old 12-01-2010 at 08:08 PM   #4
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 416 Times
get a house with heating included with rent

Last edited by Afzal : 12-01-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Joey likes this.

Old 12-01-2010 at 08:12 PM   #5
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
get a house with heating included with rent :p
Thats what I got atm. Heaters on high most of the time...sometimes it gets ridiculously hot at which point either someone turns the A/C on or I gotta open my window.

mohammyt likes this.
Old 12-01-2010 at 09:34 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science

Liked: 416 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Thats what I got atm. Heaters on high most of the time...sometimes it gets ridiculously hot at which point either someone turns the A/C on or I gotta open my window.
Now that's just lazy.

danallan likes this.
Old 12-01-2010 at 09:42 PM   #7
eullwm
Elite Member
Program: Electrical Engineering & Management
Year: Masters

Liked: 221 Times
I think I would take the bubble wrap and pop it instead of using it properly. Significantly more fun that way.

Old 12-01-2010 at 09:44 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 526 Times
layers of clothing for sure
Old 12-01-2010 at 09:58 PM   #9
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist
Program: Physics & Astronomy

Liked: 313 Times
or just budget better by not spending money on non essential things ($50+ cell phone plan, cable tv) and put the money towards heat.
Old 12-01-2010 at 10:31 PM   #10
Freija
Elite Member
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

Liked: 384 Times
overclock your computer

Afzal, danallan, mike_302 like this.
Old 12-01-2010 at 10:36 PM   #11
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Great article Davey!

Last edited by lorend : 12-01-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2010 at 11:08 PM   #12
mohammyt
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Third

Liked: 103 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
I think I would take the bubble wrap and pop it instead of using it properly. Significantly more fun that way.
is that dr. todd in your sig? lol
Old 12-02-2010 at 07:48 AM   #13
jachill
Vampire Slayer
Program: Environmental Science
Residence: SOCS! :D

Liked: 40 Times
If I get cold I take my laptop off the cooling pad and put it on my lap. If that's not good enough, I use my Gateway laptop which was pretty much designed to overheat.

lorii likes this.
Old 12-02-2010 at 06:42 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
Do you have any suggestions for a room with essentially an entire wall of windows that also double as doors to the backyard? There is a HUGE draft coming in from both the doors and windows and if it wasn't for my laptop already being broken, I would have no excuse to sit at my desk. (it's on the side of the windows. my bed is on the other side of the room, right beside the heater... thank god)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-02-2010 at 06:50 PM   #15
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;

Liked: 333 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
layers of clothing for sure
I hate wearing layers when im inside. Prefer pants/shorts and a tshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Do you have any suggestions for a room with essentially an entire wall of windows that also double as doors to the backyard? There is a HUGE draft coming in from both the doors and windows and if it wasn't for my laptop already being broken, I would have no excuse to sit at my desk. (it's on the side of the windows. my bed is on the other side of the room, right beside the heater... thank god)
Id hate to have the heater beside my bed, would get way to warm. You should seal up any gaps between the windows/doors/walls that may cause the draft from getting in.

Article Tools